Analysis Competitive players

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Gary Lyon was saying today if there was a way to quantify a draftees competitiveness, every club would use it, because that is the intangible quality You need to build premiership teams. A burning desire to win every contest..

Got me thinking about our list. My top/bottom ten:

HAVES
Cripps
Doc
Simmo
Fisher
Curnow x 2
Dow
Williamson
Bugg
Newman

HAVE NOTS
Cuningham
Levi
Murphy
Pickett
Lang
Marchbank
Weitering
SPS
Garlett
Phillips

Thoughts?

Gary Lyon was saying today if there was a way to quantify a draftees competitiveness, every club would use it, because that is the intangible quality You need to build premiership teams. A burning desire to win every contest..

Got me thinking about our list. My top/bottom ten:

HAVES
Cripps
Doc
Simmo
Fisher
Curnow x 2
Dow
Williamson
Bugg
Newman

HAVE NOTS
Cuningham
Levi
Murphy
Pickett
Lang
Marchbank
Weitering
SPS
Garlett
Phillips

Thoughts?
SPS is in the wrong group

Murphy probably is too. Though he is competitive, just gets beaten too often by bigger stronger opponents. So, I'd say it's lineball.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

On competitive i classify it more as those who when things arent going your way react and try to impose themself on the game.

Cometh the moment cometh the man types.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bolton's message, that the team shouldn't get to high after a win or to low after a loss, somehow appears to get to the heart of this topic, but not sure why, how, or whether that message is a double edged sword.

Will have people shoot it down, but Liam Jones has gone from have not to have in his move to defense. He used to drop his head as a forward, but seems to fight all day as a defender.
Good call SV :thumbsu:
One has to have competitive spirit to do what Jonesy has done.

HAVES
Cripps
Doc
Simmo
Fisher
Curnow x 2
Dow
Williamson
Bugg
Newman

HAVE NOTS
Cuningham
Levi
Murphy
Pickett
Lang
Marchbank
Weitering
SPS
Garlett
Phillips

Harsh on Marchbank. I would have him in our top 5 most competitive. Throws his body at every contest almost like another Simmo!
I also think that Weiters will get better in this department, kid is only 21 and is definitely not soft.

Not sure I agree with the premise. If competitiveness means wanting to beat the other guy, then yes that's great and it makes some players fantastic to watch, but it's not the only way to succeed. There's also excellence, i.e. wanting to be the best you can be. Slightly different focus, but I don't think it's any less valid a path to success.

To give a concrete example: using the above definitions, I'd say Murphy is driven by excellence, not competitiveness. I don't think that makes him any less of a player or in any way diminishes the effort he puts in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You cant be 'excellent' at football unless you are excellent at beating your man - there are lots of ways to do that - mongrels always find a way.

Well, no. Lamb had mongrel, but he didn't always find a way to beat his man. On the other hand, players like Ablett don't seem too focused on beating their man -- they play the game on their terms and challenge their opponents to beat them.

On the other hand, players like Ablett don't seem too focused on beating their man -- they play the game on their terms and challenge their opponents to beat them.

Not sure how ablett gets hold of the ball without beatng his man. I know I know, of late he has been seagull-esque but that is not what his body of work tells us. The guy could get plenty of contested ball in his hey day

WTF is the purpose of this thread?

I have Carlton.
Sometimes you have to look outside the norm MC.

For the last two decades we have been bullied and pushed around by competitive teams/players. Our teams have not played with hardness in that time. This is well known in the industry.

I was interested in people’s views, because we recruited three extremely competitive players this year - bugg, Newman, Stocker. We now have a lot of skilful young players.

The club may now pay some importance on having a few of these players in the team to compliment those players.

Carlton as a collective is made up of players who are weak of mind. Yes there are a few exceptions such as Cripps, Curnow, Murphy and Docherty. Weakness of mind leads to conditional actions. "I will only act or not act if...." The season where hardness becomes non negotiable is the season we rise

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back