Compound vs Isolation Exercises

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm trying to lose alot of weight. I've been to the gym and eat fairy healthy. Only lost 10 kgs in 7 months.

I have been doing weight sessions 2-3 doing isolaton weight machines.

My question is compound exercises better and if they are what exercises are best to reduce fat and increase muscle?

I'm trying to lose alot of weight. I've been to the gym and eat fairy healthy. Only lost 10 kgs in 7 months.

I have been doing weight sessions 2-3 doing isolaton weight machines.

My question is compound exercises better and if they are what exercises are best to reduce fat and increase muscle?

Compound exercises will burn more calories rep for rep vs isolation exercises. But do them both with a focus on compound exercises.

What are your goals? How much weight do you want to lose? What was your starting weight (if i may ask?)

But you saying only 10kgs in 7 month you seem disappointed. I would say lack of results would be down to diet, even eating to much healthy foods will still lead to weight gain.

Thanks for helping. I was about 116 kg and now 106 kg. Need to get to 75 kg.

I spoke with a guy today, who made the comment that I need to remove "good" carbs like oats, brown rice and some fruit for weight loss.

Any ideas would be helpful.

I would love to try compound exercises, not sure what to do or where to start?

I like to have 4 sessions per week.

Thanks for helping. I was about 116 kg and now 106 kg. Need to get to 75 kg.

I spoke with a guy today, who made the comment that I need to remove "good" carbs like oats, brown rice and some fruit for weight loss.

Any ideas would be helpful.

I would love to try compound exercises, not sure what to do or where to start?

I like to have 4 sessions per week.

Well good stuff on your weight loss effort thus far, how tall are you?

Looks carbs are very decisive not only on this board but in the entire fitness industry. Personally if you like them, eat them depriving yourself of sweet potato, brown rice and oats if you really enjoy them will only hinder weight loss as if you strictly "ban" them cravings are more likely to be severe and if you do go on a carb binge you are far more likely to overeat and that is my personal experience.

My body responds well to a lower carb diet when wanting to lose weight, but i enjoy eating them so i do. You need to cut out the refind junk carbs like cereals, white breads, lollies, cakes. But by all means have a little treat everyone now and then, eating one donut every 2nd week won't make you overweight, eating one every second day will. Fruits aren't any issue all in moderation as well berries generally have a lower calorie/carb make up than some other fruits, but all in moderation.

Overall calorie intake is key, you will need to figure out total calorie expenditure over the course of day and work backwards from there. For mine i like higher protein diets with moderate carbs and fats. One quick point you want to be losing weight on as many calories as possible. If you start up a diet at 1500 calories a day and your total calorie expenditure over the course of a day is 2500 sure you will lose weight easily and most likely a lot at the start, in due to time weight loss will slow down and stall, at 1500 calories you've got very little room to move. Don't total deprive yourself of foods you enjoy, once every second weekend have a refeed meal but don't over do it, you can totally undo weeks worth of dieting with an over the top cheat meal.

Reply back with;

Your height
How often you can train and what type of training
Do you work a typical 9-5 job in an office or a tradie or uni student

From here we can figure out your calorie expenditure and calorie intake and organise a meal plan (if you like)

How new are you to weight training? Have you been lifting for 1-2 months or 5-6 months?

Well good stuff on your weight loss effort thus far, how tall are you?

Looks carbs are very decisive not only on this board but in the entire fitness industry. Personally if you like them, eat them depriving yourself of sweet potato, brown rice and oats if you really enjoy them will only hinder weight loss as if you strictly "ban" them cravings are more likely to be severe and if you do go on a carb binge you are far more likely to overeat and that is my personal experience.

My body responds well to a lower carb diet when wanting to lose weight, but i enjoy eating them so i do. You need to cut out the refind junk carbs like cereals, white breads, lollies, cakes. But by all means have a little treat everyone now and then, eating one donut every 2nd week won't make you overweight, eating one every second day will. Fruits aren't any issue all in moderation as well berries generally have a lower calorie/carb make up than some other fruits, but all in moderation.

Overall calorie intake is key, you will need to figure out total calorie expenditure over the course of day and work backwards from there. For mine i like higher protein diets with moderate carbs and fats. One quick point you want to be losing weight on as many calories as possible. If you start up a diet at 1500 calories a day and your total calorie expenditure over the course of a day is 2500 sure you will lose weight easily and most likely a lot at the start, in due to time weight loss will slow down and stall, at 1500 calories you've got very little room to move. Don't total deprive yourself of foods you enjoy, once every second weekend have a refeed meal but don't over do it, you can totally undo weeks worth of dieting with an over the top cheat meal.

Reply back with;

Your height
How often you can train and what type of training
Do you work a typical 9-5 job in an office or a tradie or uni student

From here we can figure out your calorie expenditure and calorie intake and organise a meal plan (if you like)

How new are you to weight training? Have you been lifting for 1-2 months or 5-6 months?

I'm 165cm and 40 is that helps. I work full time in an office and a lot of sitting.

Exercise I train in a gym 3 times a week, 20 mins walking (warm up and cool down) and doing weight machines.

I'm 165cm and 40 is that helps. I work full time in an office and a lot of sitting.

Exercise I train in a gym 3 times a week, 20 mins walking (warm up and cool down) and doing weight machines.

So based on those numbers if you lay in bed all day your body will burn 2070 calories, your BMR (basal metabolic rate)
Now seeing as you add in 3 x time exercise sessions a week times 2070 x 1.4 = 2900 calories per day is around the point where you maintain your weight.
On days where you exercise eat just below this number, on days you don't exercise eat less calories again.

Exercise days;
2800 calories
275g of protein
89g of fat
250g of carbs

Non -exercise days;
2500 calories
275g of protein
89g of fat
150g of carbs

This should give you a deficit of around 2000 calories and early on your weigh loss will be pretty regular, if you notice a weight loss stall after two weeks drop the calories slightly. Keep protein the same, maybe drop 3-4g of fat and 5-8g of carbs.

Keep protein and fats consistent each day, it makes planning meals easier. The carb intake will change each day. Now others on here will completely shoot me down for what i've listed above but something like this has worked for me. Depending on how hungry you get and lifestyle you can split these up over 3 meals, 5 meals or 7 meals up to you. You will need to do a bit of research on calorie king to find out the macros of all foods, what i typically eat;

Rump steak
Kangaroo
Chicken
Lean beef mince
Eggs
Salmon, tuna, basa fillets
Sweet potato, brown rice, plain rolled oats
Jalna plain greek yoghurt
Strawberries/blueberres/raspberries/ bananas
Broccoli/Carrots/beans - any veggies you like
Almonds and peanut butter

A typical day for me will look like;

3 eggs
100g of lean mince

1 86g tin of tuna
15 almonds
20g of peanut butter

200g of beef/chicken/kangaroo
100g of veggies
100g-150g of brown rice (depending on carb intake)

100g of veggies
100g-150g of brown rice (depending on carb intake)

Prework out - 5g of BCAA's and C4 pre work out
Post work out - 30g of protein powder

100g of veggies
250g-300g of sweet potato (depending on carb intake)

100g - 200g of strawberries/blueberries (depending on carb intake)
100g of Greek yoghurt (Jalna is the best kind, lowest sugar content per 100g)

Training;.
3 days a week in the gym will suit 3 x full body work outs, aim for about 60-70 mins including 10 min warm up the start (cool down is up to you but something i don't bother with)

Now if you want something a little more advanced with compound lifts, maybe you will have to find a PT who can run you through these lifts for a few weeks or a friend who is a regular gym goer or look to you tube,

Repeat x 3 times a week
Squat - 3 sets by 8-10 reps
Deadlift 3 sets 6-8 reps
Bench press 3 sets 6-10 reps
Lat pull down 3 sets 6-10 reps
Shoulder press 2 sets 10-12 reps
Bicep exercise 2 sets 12-15 reps
Tricep exercise 2 sets 12-15 reps

Now if you feel more comfortable using machines;
Leg press
Lying leg curl or seated leg curl
Machine chest press
Lat pulldown
Shoulder machine press
Bicep exercise
Tricep exercise

Cardio;
Personally i think you need to up your cardio to burn more calories. Go for a 40-60 min every second morning and as you proress add in more session or if you prefer add in some hill sprints of HIIT, where you spring for 20-30 seconds rest for 1-2 mins and go again repeat 6-10 times. But this will be dependent on your current running abilities. Getting in cardio as extra session may be harder depending on your lifestyle, if you are married have kids etc.

Me i'm a single man with no kids, i have all the time in the world.

Final word, be CONSISTENT. Consistency with diet and training and results will come your way. If you have an off day where you don't train or slip up with diet don't go "well stuff this" and eat as you like or miss a week of training all together, one little slip up is not the end of the world just get back on track the next day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back