Comrade Detective

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Looks great.

Comrade Detective: Channing Tatum's hidden gem of Romanian TV

Channing Tatum and Jon Ronson have something they’d like to show to you: Tovarasul Militian, one of television’s hidden gems. Translated into English as Comrade Detective, Tovarasul Militian was a six-part detective show produced and funded by the Romanian government to promote the 1980s communist ideal. The series was forgotten when the Berlin Wall fell but - thanks to an international campaign spearheaded by the Romanian Film Preservation Society - Comrade Detective has been located, remastered and dubbed into English for the very first time.

The series itself is a kind of Romanian True Detective prototype; a grimy tale of two police officers gradually realising that they’re in over their heads in 1980s Bucharest. The Cold War is hurtling to its conclusion, black market capitalists are flooding the streets and the oily tendrils of America’s pervasive influence are starting to wear away at the country’s once proud ideology. Murderers now wear Ronald Reagan masks, contraband editions of Monopoly are being smuggled into the city and the American embassy is slowly being overrun by obese men wolfing piles of hamburgers.

OK, fine, Comrade Detective isn’t a real show. And, for all of Tatum and Ronson’s hifalutin claims, Stanley Kubrick was never actually a fan either. Instead, it’s an astonishingly high-concept Amazon comedy; a detective spoof written in English, then filmed in Romania with real Romanian actors speaking Romanian, then dubbed back into English using the voices of people like Tatum, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jenny Slate, Kim Basinger and Jason Mantzoukas.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...tective-channing-tatum-hidden-gem-romanian-tv

Last edited:
Have see the first 3 episodes and I think it's pretty good. Trying to identify the voices for the actors has been fun.

That said, I wouldn't really call it wacky

Just watched the first two, and I reckon its pretty whacky but I've deleted that part of the thread title.

Very funny. Good attention to detail - I love the Romanian prime time TV.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back