Rumour Conca?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ghost Pig

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hello my dear friends, please excuse me if this article has already been brought to your attention in another thread, but from my momentary perusal, I get the feeling that the idea seems to be mentioned only "off the cuff", by a few posters and had not seen it in print, as such.

" Richmond is also still at a stalemate over a new deal for defender Reece Conca, who is fielding a large offer from Fremantle to return home to Perth.
It is understood the Dockers have offered Conca a four-year deal on significant terms.
Conca has begun to think about a return home."

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-face-losing-martin-20130916-2tu2q.html

An intriguing proposition...

Who does he displace?

Who would we trade?

He fits our bill of versatile, hard at it type, cannot see him being a bad acquisition, just where do we put him and why?

IF true, potentially a long term replacement for Duffield?

Definitely not adverse to the idea, he has the makings of a very good player.

Hello my dear friends, please excuse me if this article has already been brought to your attention in another thread, but from my momentary perusal, I get the feeling that the idea seems to be mentioned only "off the cuff", by a few posters and had not seen it in print, as such.

" Richmond is also still at a stalemate over a new deal for defender Reece Conca, who is fielding a large offer from Fremantle to return home to Perth.
It is understood the Dockers have offered Conca a four-year deal on significant terms.
Conca has begun to think about a return home."

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-face-losing-martin-20130916-2tu2q.html

An intriguing proposition...

Who does he displace?

Who would we trade?

He fits our bill of versatile, hard at it type, cannot see him being a bad acquisition, just where do we put him and why?

hmm thats a surprise, would he replace deboer or suctliffe?

Young lad with talent and no history of injuries(correct me if im wrong), thats alright.

I thought he was incredibly vanilla when he first started, but has improved recently. Yeah probably look at someone like Duffied to replace or that deep member of a huge midfield who can get you 25-30 touches getting left alone (ie. Neale, Guu, Pearce etc)

Not sure how much money i would offer him.. but hey.. if the warchest is full, spend it!

Good player and will only get better, has a knack of constantly getting the pill and turning up in the right spot.

only 22
so to me a good option, not sure if valid but i'd take it if we did offer him a deal. Assuming we leave enough money for future upgrades in cost and for Free-Agency next year.

I call bullshit, we don't have anything to trade for him. Our first draft pick won't be near enough, and as a Freo supporter I think Viv Michie is going to be very good but he is the only one looking like heading to Victoria and given his foot injuries and lack of games he would be worth basically nothing as a trade.

Freo have been linked to every single West Australian and tall player out of contract in the last 3 years, I just don't believe it. We just don't have any currency. If the rumour were about Crameri I would be a lot more convinced.

But I will say if Freo do go after him it can only mean we are confident Tabs etc are going to come on in a big way.

I do remember that Freo were very keen on picking up Conca with their first pick and once the Tigers were made aware pulled the trigger early to get him. He was drafted well above where originally placed in the phantom draft. Reckon he is directly tied to the Martin situation. If Martin stays at the tigers then Conca would be given a monster deal from Freo. If Martin goes then they will use the money to secure Conca on a long term deal. It's a concern that its literally that tight on their cap. They must of paid a mozza to Reiwoldt , Deledio and Cotchin.

I do remember that Freo were very keen on picking up Conca with their first pick and once the Tigers were made aware pulled the trigger early to get him. He was drafted well above where originally placed in the phantom draft. Reckon he is directly tied to the Martin situation. If Martin stays at the tigers then Conca would be given a monster deal from Freo. If Martin goes then they will use the money to secure Conca on a long term deal. It's a concern that its literally that tight on their cap. They must of paid a mozza to Reiwoldt , Deledio and Cotchin.
I think you're on the money here. Doubtless they did so believing everyone else would stay because they are Richmond, a big four member for gods sake! Surely you [player x] want the prestige above money and career longevity right?

If you take our expected line up for Sydney aside (MJ in for Sheridan) we have the following midfield/Flanker depth to push into the team next year:
Sheridan
Crozier
Michie
Ibbotson
C. Pearce
Simpson
Mellington
Mora

There are Q marks over Mora, Michie and Mellington for one reason or another. Sheridan and Crozier have shown enough in pieces but need more development and regular game time to able to mix it with the best teams players. Simpson more so. Maybe we do need another potential A grader to keep our midfield pushing along in the next few years - particularly if we do not get Mora back and we lose Michie we would be thin for injury coverage. Duffield is what 29 next year? I would not be interested in Martin but Conca had plenty of good press in his draft year. Richmond are screaming out for a good quality third tall to push out McGuane and Edwards or they will never convert on the work of their mids - would we consider trading Crozier?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conca could almost give you another mundy if he continues to develop as he has - wins his own ball, is a pretty good user and has added goal kicking to his game in the second half of the year. Love the way he plays the game.

It's a concern that its literally that tight on their cap. They must of paid a mozza to Reiwoldt , Deledio and Cotchin.

I believe its not so much that we are tight on our cap, rather our footy department is bullish about the need to:
- embrace a payment model like that of Geelong, where blokes take below market rates to keep a group together; and
- leave space available in order to add to our list again in future trade/FA periods.

Agree that Richmond should be able to up Conca's offer and that he should stay if Martin is gone (looks like a done deal IMO) . To lose two first round picks in one hit, without getting too much back, would be a massive blow for the club. Would really need to get one, if not two, best 22 players in an attempt to fill their spots?!

If you take our expected line up for Sydney aside (MJ in for Sheridan) we have the following midfield/Flanker depth to push into the team next year:
Sheridan
Crozier
Michie
Ibbotson
C. Pearce
Simpson
Mellington
Mora

There are Q marks over Mora, Michie and Mellington for one reason or another. Sheridan and Crozier have shown enough in pieces but need more development and regular game time to able to mix it with the best teams players. Simpson more so. Maybe we do need another potential A grader to keep our midfield pushing along in the next few years - particularly if we do not get Mora back and we lose Michie we would be thin for injury coverage. Duffield is what 29 next year? I would not be interested in Martin but Conca had plenty of good press in his draft year. Richmond are screaming out for a good quality third tall to push out McGuane and Edwards or they will never convert on the work of their mids - would we consider trading Crozier?
F**k no!

I seriously doubt that clubs try to second guess what other clubs do at the top of the draft, it would be too difficult.. if Richmond took him at 6, in their estimation he was at worst the 6th best player available.

Would be a good pickup not convinced he will become a true A grader think he will end up just below that.
Would probably replace a Mzungu(been awesome this year) CPearce type player.

Cant see us trading for him though as we have a much bigger concern than midfield.

injury prone and we need our first rounder for a KPF so PASS unless its a michie for conca straight swap

hmm thats a surprise, would he replace deboer or suctliffe?

Young lad with talent and no history of injuries(correct me if im wrong), thats alright.

Not quite, he's had regular injuries along the way in his short career. Most concerning are stress fractures in his foot/toe earlier this year and last year respectively. He did a pretty serious hammy at some point too I think?? It's some concern AFAIC.

Things can go either way when you start out like that, but I'd take him with the view that he'll give you 15-18 games a year rather than a solid 22 plus finals - that would be what he's given the Tigers so far. But as I said, could go either way. Could turn out to be a regular LTI type player, or body could mature and be just fine.

In any case, I just can't see how Richmond wont be able to match offers though, especially if/when Martin confirms he's out of there.

I just don't get the fuss with Conca. Richmond supporters seem to really rate him, so they might know best ... but I just haven't seen anything from him that screams we should throw a huge contract at him. He seems like a solid enough player, but very vanilla. Sure he is young and might be expected to improve, but I just don't get the need to chase after him, unless it is to drive up the price for WC (who were rumoured a long time ago to be interested).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back