Concerts you have been to.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Grand Wazooo.... Sunday arvos at the rainbow hotel Fitzroy... great institution

Figure I'll share my tiny list :oops:

Linkin Park - 2007 (Chris Cornell opener) My first ever gig. I was 15 at the time, so no judgement :p
Pearl Jam - 2009 (Ben Harper opener)
Muse - 2010 (Biffy Clyro opener)
Stone Temple Pilots - 2011 (Grinspoon opener)
Wavves - 2012
Soundwave - 2013
Wavves & Unknown Mortal Orchestra - 2013
FIDLAR - 2013 (Dune Rats opener)
Frenzal Rhomb - 2013
STP and grinspoon nice. Where was that at?
Had the chance to see pearl jam at brisbane entertainment center in the late 90's, but my sister convinced me to trade tickets for oasis so her friends could go. Still bummed to this day cause oasis sucked (liam chucked one of his tantrums and walked off stage mid set. I was p***ed off), the fact I got to see You Am I as support act eases the pain a little.

STP and grinspoon nice. Where was that at?
Had the chance to see pearl jam at brisbane entertainment center in the late 90's, but my sister convinced me to trade tickets for oasis so her friends could go. Still bummed to this day cause oasis sucked (liam chucked one of his tantrums and walked off stage mid set. I was p***ed off), the fact I got to see You Am I as support act eases the pain a little.
It was at Festival Hall mate. Awful venue in my opinion, but was still a great show. That sucks about Pearl Jam, but hey, I guess you could kind of count yourself lucky that you got to see a Gallagher tantrum in the flesh.

It was at Festival Hall mate. Awful venue in my opinion, but was still a great show. That sucks about Pearl Jam, but hey, I guess you could kind of count yourself lucky that you got to see a Gallagher tantrum in the flesh.
Yeah saw foo fighters at festival great show crap venue

My most memorable Festival Hall shows (off the top of the hat):
  • Jane's Addiction 1991 - Festival Hall - the band was falling apart but like true professionals they still put on a great performance. Height of my love for the band.
  • You Am I - 1995ish supported by Powderfinger (who I hated at the time). You Am I blew them out of the water. Height of their "We are the Who in their wall of sound" phase)
  • Sonic Youth - Dirty Tour 1992 - one of the best light shows I had seen to that point.
  • George Thorogood and the Destroyers 1988 - One of my first shows. Loved me some George back then and he was probably at his best.
Show with most mixed feelings:
  • Stone Roses - Second Coming tour 1994 or 5. Realised that they really were a studio band. Also Ian Brown cannot sing. But still enjoyed it because, you know, it was the Roses
Shows I missed that I still kick myself over:
  • Beastie Boys - Check Tour Head Tour - I was yet to discover them so let them pass me by. DoH!
  • Nirvana/Violent Femmes - 1990 - enuf said.

The last year or so LCD Soundsystem at Margaret Court and the Avalanches at Melbourne Town Hall, both of which were really good fun especially with Grandmaster Flash supporting the Avalanches with a great DJ set.
Julia Jacklin and Angel Olsen, both at the Corner Hotel.
Sufjan Stevens at Hamer Hall.

Last edited:
Just recently the now defunct Seaview Ballroom http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Ballroom_(Melbourne)got a fair bit of publicity here in Melbourne after the publication of a book on the venue.

I used to go spend a fair bit of time at the Ballroom and saw heaps of great bands there in the early to mid 80's, which got me thinking about bands I saw there and other great bands in general. Here's a bit of a list of those I can remember, starting with the more notable acts I saw at the Ballroom and then wandering off to other times and other places.

The Birthday Party, The Fall (back in the day and last year), The Violent Femmes, The Dead Kennedys (At the Seaview Ballroom and Monash Uni), Public Image Ltd, Iggy Pop, The Damned, The Clash, The Ramones, The Buzzcocks, The Laughing Clowns, The Models (before they sold out), The Go Betweens, The Triffids, The Residents, The Scientists, The Moodists, U2 (1984), David Bowie (1983), Nico, R.E.M.(1989 & 1995), Smashing Pumpkins, Modest Mouse, The Pixies, Jesus and Mary Chain, Died Pretty, The Sunnyboys, The Screaming Tribesmen, The Celibate Rifles, The Hard Ons, The Moffs, Hoodoo Gurus, Midnight Oil, The Pogues, Arcade Fire (In Seattle), The Huxton Creepers, Paul Kelly and the Coloured Girls, Screaming Jay Hawkins, Pulp, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure, New Order, Boomtown Rats, Gary Numan, Psychedelic Furs, Lime Spiders, The Saints, Spiderbait, You Am I, The Church, The Wreckery,The Reels, Sacred Cowboys, Billy Bragg, Blue Ruin, The Fauves, Magic Dirt, T.I.S.M. and plenty more I can't remember offhand.

I have to be honest, I had a misspent youth that managed to extend well into my 30's.
Edit: add Patti Smith and Johnny Marr to that lot.

Last edited:
Saw the Oils at SMMB last year - note perfect, have seen them on multiple occasions over 25 years but last time got to appreciate just how good Moginie is as a guitarist - normally he hides out the back but having torn the hammy off the bone a few days earlier- he sat out the front and let rip and it was absolutely ******* awesome! The played the perfect set of songs - just as political just like stepping back in time.

A few weeks later I went and saw Icehouse which was just as good - again note perfect and just great sounds. The had this three piece warm up gig with a bloke called Diesel...how good and underrated is he, would have paid twice as much to go if I knew he was the warm up.

Recently I saw Mossy live in an intimate acoustic setting - just the best - great sound, awesome guitar and vocals and back stories to the songs - I recommend all of them

Saw the Oils at SMMB last year - note perfect, have seen them on multiple occasions over 25 years but last time got to appreciate just how good Moginie is as a guitarist - normally he hides out the back but having torn the hammy off the bone a few days earlier- he sat out the front and let rip and it was absolutely ******* awesome! The played the perfect set of songs - just as political just like stepping back in time.

A few weeks later I went and saw Icehouse which was just as good - again note perfect and just great sounds. The had this three piece warm up gig with a bloke called Diesel...how good and underrated is he, would have paid twice as much to go if I knew he was the warm up.

Recently I saw Mossy live in an intimate acoustic setting - just the best - great sound, awesome guitar and vocals and back stories to the songs - I recommend all of them
The Oils played a surprise gig at my local Bowlo last year. I found out the next day and was absolutely ropeable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fell out of love with festivals in the mid-2000s although I kept on going for a few years after because it was just a thing to do. I hadn't really been to one since the beginning of 2009 until this year again but I had a wicked night at a small scale festival in Dead of Winter and then on Sunday, Good Things was amazing. There was barely a dickhead in sight, booze queues were non-existant and prices were reasonable, the time-table was phenomenal with so no genuine clashes for what I wanted to see. All the performers were tight as * and the sound was pretty good except for Northlane's engineer made them a bit muddy and the high end wasn't cutting through the mix (understandable though because it is very difficult in open air when their bottom end is so deep). Hope they have learnt the lessons from all the festivals that have fallen by the wayside and they can repeat what they brought in the next few years, this old man is happy to go around again.

0D65F4BA-2DC7-4861-8EE2-E1B143AD9B12.jpeg

Went to see The Cure at Macy’s Hotel on 24th August, 1980. Great show. You could go to the bar and then pretty much walk to the front to watch the band. They played until they ran out of songs and then they started jamming songs that were later to appeal on Faith, which was released the next year. I clearly remember them jamming Primary, with players stopping and staring as they jammed their parts. A great show. Next time they came to Australia I saw them at The Palais and that was a totally different experience.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back