Concussion action against the league

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it is important to note that this was an insurance payout for an injury - similar to having difficulty walking because of knee injuries, for example.

This wasn't Shaun Smith suing someone for negligence or the like, so I don't think this necessarily translates to legal action against the AFL or other football leagues.

If the insurer for AFL players, AMP, don't have this as a policy, then the AFL either need a insurer who does or get AMP to include it. Premiums would probably go up, but that's a small price to pay.

A fund could work too if it was cheaper to implement than increased insurance costs.

Great to hear about Smith's payout

More generally, worth noting the date this thread was started

It has now been almost three years

Sounds pretty close to our current stance? Brandon Starcevich faceplanted the ground from shoulder height after a spoil attempt during one of our games, momentarily knocked himself out on the ground for what we could all see, and was immediately ruled out of the game. Fagan was asked about him during the post-match presser and he openly stated then that he wouldn't be eligible for selection next round. Was that our medics being overly cautious or is the AFL already requiring players to take that next round off?
I don't think all clubs exercise the same degree of caution. Ollie copped a significant hit last week and played on. Geelong have a tendency to play players on after head hits.

I don't think it's at all easy nor blameless for the players - which is why a sliding scale compensation model could be drawn up

Like workcover you are looked after if you retire 'early' through medical advice

IE the young Brisbane player would continue to receive a form of payment until he was 32ish

I think the current protocol is you need to pass a test 5 days before the next game. Is it possible that Brisbane were playing within 5 days of that date?
AH yeah that's likely it then. It was in the game vs Gold Coast, and we then had a 4 day turnaround to the Swans game.

So any local footballer with similar symptoms can sue their local league for the same money these guys are asking for? Wont be many local football leagues around - therefor no AFL

They can sue, yes. Doesn't mean they'll win, or even get the amount they're asking for though.

I don't think they're unreasonable or "bad people" for doing this.

But wont hear any media crying for these people to get paid.

The media can do whatever they like. I'm just offering my own opinion, and explanation for why I have that opinion.

I think the players and ex-players are well within their rights to ask for more. Whether they get it is another thing, but they shouldn't be ashamed for putting forth their claims.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back