Concussion: Is the AFL doing enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I still can't see how the AFL is taking this seriously.

We still have club doctors in control of decision making in terms of players being able to continue playing, and I've seen multiple instances this year where players have sustained hits and the doctors have cleared them to play. Weitering, Wines, and Marshall are the ones I remember and I vaguely remember seeing one more from Carlton, Geelong, and Brisbane. I'm sure there are many more. I've watched documentaries where players have been wiped out only to pass the test.

We then have AFL360 doing a montage of a "heroic" and "Brave" Riewoldt effort on a mark that could have easily resulted in severe injuries. I know this is going to be controversial but at what point do we ask the hard questions. Why is it that the AFL penalize a defensive player running against the flow of traffic making even the most minor front on contact, but in a marking contest they give it the ok, and every media outlet calls it out as being brave. If the AFL want to stamp out head injuries, then they cannot have inconsistencies in the rules. Running against the flight of the ball irrespective of the intent should be treated the same way. If Josh Kennedy is steaming out on a lead he should have right of access to the ball without facing any front on contact. Ive already seen several cases this year where players on the lead have had to back away because a kamikaze player was running against the flight of the ball. I think one simple change in attitude could reduce a massive number of head injuries.

I acknowledge there would be some grey and difficult areas such as a forward pressing kick to a forward running player to be met by a defender, so I'm not sure how to handle that. But my query was around how the AFL can continue to allow consistencies.

I think for a start, we need to take the decision making away from the clubs, and run it independently. I think the current 12 day plan needs to be altered to take into consideration the severity of concussion, and met on a case by case basis in the event that a particular player has not yet fully recovered. I don't agree with a set time period as not everyone is going to recover adequately in 12 days, particularly in subsequent cases. We need more openness (couldn't think of a better word) about concussion statistics, How many concussions, and the grade of concussion. If we're dealing with every incident on a case by case basis, we don't have to set absolute figures in determining when and if players can play.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

That's a rather ignorant comment.

Well since you want all sport in the world banned, which is the only way they'll be doing enough, no, it's not.

The only thing the AFL need to do is declare that from this point forward, anyone who plays AFL accepts the risks of any type of injury they might obtain, and by signing a contract they absolve the AFL of any legal repcussions for what happens to them.

Its a contact sport. Short of banning contact you will always get injuries

No one is watching touch footy

If players want their post career court cases to be taken seriously when they sue for damages now theyre short a dollar, they should wear helmets.

Are players taking it seriously?

Well since you want all sport in the world banned, which is the only way they'll be doing enough, no, it's not.

The only thing the AFL need to do is declare that from this point forward, anyone who plays AFL accepts the risks of any type of injury they might obtain, and by signing a contract they absolve the AFL of any legal repcussions for what happens to them.
Its that simple.

Do soldiers sue the army when they get shot?

They're your words not mine.

So, by your logic. Player gets concussed. Team needs player to play to win the game. Player gets another hit. suffers permanent brain damage. But hey that's ok, they signed a contract. At what point does the AFL have a responsibility to support the player?

Its a contact sport. Short of banning contact you will always get injuries

No one is watching touch footy

If players want their post career court cases to be taken seriously when they sue for damages now theyre short a dollar, they should wear helmets.

Are players taking it seriously?
You're so short sighted. Parents are already introducing their kids to other sports because of the concussion issues that have been swept under the rug.

The more information we get about concussion I can assure you the more parents are going to get their kids playing soccer, or basketball. Keep your old logic, but there will be a shift long term that will kill the game without attention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who'd he get hit by? You throwing a beer can at him? Since concussed players are already banned from going back on the field?

Oh, I guess they are doing enough, since your hypothetical is already impossible.
Studies are clearly showing that players have elevated levels of NFL ( Neurofilament light polypeptide ) up to 4 weeks post concussion showing signs of brain damage. But I guess you haven't read that yet. IS 12 days enough?

It’s a brutal game.

No one forces anyone to play it

let's see what the families of a director of the AFL thinks as they are jailed

after all, no one forced them to be a director

There is is, submission. Finally, accepting you were wrong all along, and you have no counter-arguments left.

The OP agrees the AFL is doing enough and wants all sport banned just because Port players are too soft to compete with any of the good teams.

s**t take mate. Posts like this make this board absolutely toxic.

They are taking it more than serious enough, they are suspending players for pure accidental contact because they yhink AFL players should think in slow motion replay terms.
Outside of making it purely non contact not much more they can do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back