Concussion: Is the AFL doing enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

No people like the OP make this board toxic by posting threads demanding the sport never be played again.

Nah. They didn’t say that. You’re being a twat trying to ‘win’ the Internet by attacking someone instead of offering any form of discussion related to their post.

If you think the OP is toxic, your post was significantly worse.

jailed? Lol

you really are a deranged nutcase

The laws are heading in one direction

Who May Be Charged With Workplace Manslaughter?

Any organisation or officer who holds specified duties under the Act may be prosecuted for the offence. An officer is an individual at a high level of an organisation, with power, resources, and responsibilities for keeping the workplace safe.

Well simple, government declare sport is not a workplace. Problem solved forvever.

I think the idea is to reduce the burden on society by mitigating serious injury and death

Selwood no case to answer.

The rules provide for suspension when a player "bumps or makes forceful contact to an opposition player from front-on when that player has their head down over the football".

I'm not invested in whether Selwood plays next week or not, but I have a hard time believing Selwood didn't breach the law as stated above. Whether he "bumped" or not. Whether he was contesting the ball or not. Whether there was malice or not.

It's exactly the type of incident that will put some kid in a wheelchair.

The laws are heading in one direction

Who May Be Charged With Workplace Manslaughter?

Any organisation or officer who holds specified duties under the Act may be prosecuted for the offence. An officer is an individual at a high level of an organisation, with power, resources, and responsibilities for keeping the workplace safe.

then we might as well ban all sports from juniors to amateurs to professional leagues

no sport in Australia at all

problem solved

Issue is that proper research into concussions has only really started in the past decade. I think it's harsh to judge the AFL when information is still developing about the long term impacts, recovery etc.

The mandatory time out from concussions is based on recommendations from research and perfectly assessing individual cases is incredibly difficult.

There are some inevitables in footy that do increase risks (eg. Pack marks with flying knees) and I think its reasonable for any player to accept that these incidents may occur.

Cracking down on non-footy actions should be the focus. Not an AFL decision but McCartin only getting 5 weeks recently is a joke considering the impact it might have on his opponents life.

then we might as well ban all sports from juniors to amateurs to professional leagues

no sport in Australia at all

problem solved

that is defeatist

there are obvious precautions that should be implemented and no doubt will in time

Sadly it's not to a sports advantage to reveal the true facts that concussion has on players now and in the future, and the AFL know this. They want the game to appear safe to play for all ages and both sexes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Is the AFL doing enough?"

I think the key word here is "enough". There is no doubt the AFL is doing something about concussion with ongoing reviews and rules changes with the aim for less concussions and overall lessening the impact of a concussion when it does arise. So the question then becomes "how much should the AFL spend the time, cost and effort in catering for the minimising of harm of concussion or complications?"

Bearing all the above in mind, AFL is a contact sport, and with that underlying basis, there will ALWAYS be some element of risk of general impact and soft tissue injuries. Concussion is really just a subset of "injuries" in the sporting realm, and will likely never be rid off entirely.

I'm not trying to give a solution here, but merely to point out the complexities that is the puzzle of how to minimise concussion risks in a sport where bodies are constantly going at it. With the only realistic solution that I can see is to turn AFL into touch footy, and players are barred from jumping for marks.

Yet you don't list any.

What a pathetic person.

The obvious would be related to medical recommendations

1) Assessing proteins in the blood stream for damaged brain cells rather than assessing symptoms
2) 4 week break minimums

can I ask why you can't control your emotions? are you ok?

do you often have tantrums?

Selwood no case to answer.

The rules provide for suspension when a player "bumps or makes forceful contact to an opposition player from front-on when that player has their head down over the football".

I'm not invested in whether Selwood plays next week or not, but I have a hard time believing Selwood didn't breach the law as stated above. Whether he "bumped" or not. Whether he was contesting the ball or not. Whether there was malice or not.

It's exactly the type of incident that will put some kid in a wheelchair.
If the Richmond player turned his body like he was supposed to (as Selwood did) the contact would've been shoulder-to-shoulder. Not having a go at the bloke coz it was in the moment its just the truth.

If the Richmond player turned his body like he was supposed to (as Selwood did) the contact would've been shoulder-to-shoulder. Not having a go at the bloke coz it was in the moment its just the truth.

The Richmond player was there first and had hands on the ball, the onus was on Selwood to avoid forceful front-on contact. Selwood pivots and uses his body to knock Mansell off the ball - head first.

Weitering was clearly concussed tonight early in the last and stumbled about for some time and was completely spaced out.

Not sure how he wasn’t pulled off for a test at a minimum and really should be missing the prelim.
Gassed, hit in the throat, struggling to breathe, moving backwards to clear the contest and man up... "clearly concussed".
Give me a break.

Would like a please explain for this one. Port were fined massively, should be the same logic applied for Carlton here and Weitering should be out of the prelim.
But Carlton are the fairytale story for the AFL so I'm expecting this will be swept under the carpet and a nothing to see here. Kochie should be making big noise about this if he was doing his job properly.

Weitering was clearly concussed tonight early in the last and stumbled about for some time and was completely spaced out.

Not sure how he wasn’t pulled off for a test at a minimum and really should be missing the prelim.

Throat.

BT going on like a moron about him looking 'wobbly' just managed to convince the TV audience that it was a head knock.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back