Concussion protocols and finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Gaspard

Team Captain
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
With the finals drawing near in the first season with the current protocols, a little preemptive thought from the AFL is required. (I know this is not their forte) During finals an inconveniently good opposition player could very easily be removed from the game by giving him some sort of head knock, be it by impact in a pack or contact with the ground. That player would be required to go off for at least 20 minutes ; a big thing in any game but probably crucial in a final. It could mean no return and no play next week too for the early finals.

Many crucial players have been bashed out of grand finals - Keith Greig and Ross Smith come to mind. The current protocols make it much easier to achieve, since severe injury is not required. I believe that a move should be made to prevent this before it happens. A send off rule or sin bin for finals when these kinds of incidents occur makes some sense. (Wouldn't go astray in roster games for that matter) Times are changing, and rules need to cope with the protocols to prevent them being exploited by thuggery to whatever extent is possible.

With the finals drawing near in the first season with the current protocols, a little preemptive thought from the AFL is required. (I know this is not their forte) During finals an inconveniently good opposition player could very easily be removed from the game by giving him some sort of head knock, be it by impact in a pack or contact with the ground. That player would be required to go off for at least 20 minutes ; a big thing in any game but probably crucial in a final. It could mean no return and no play next week too for the early finals.

Many crucial players have been bashed out of grand finals - Keith Greig and Ross Smith come to mind. The current protocols make it much easier to achieve, since severe injury is not required. I believe that a move should be made to prevent this before it happens. A send off rule or sin bin for finals when these kinds of incidents occur makes some sense. (Wouldn't go astray in roster games for that matter) Times are changing, and rules need to cope with the protocols to prevent them being exploited by thuggery to whatever extent is possible.

You trust umpires to make the right call with send-offs ?

You trust umpires to make the right call with send-offs ?
I agree. This could just compound the issue.
Any consequences, unfortunately would have to be post-game like it already is. A reform could be done in the severity of the sanction. IF they could determine that it was intentional (I know, I know), they a massive ban would be in order, maybe even life ban. Or whatever. Maybe an in-game video review could be done without holding up the game. Sort of immediate tribunal.
Point is, we can't trust the umpiring on the spot to make the call. Deterrence will have to be delayed.

I'm not against exploring a send off rule, but you absolutely don't test something first time in AFL finals. Thats a recipe for disaster.

Secondly, it needs to be send of by review, not just on field. E.g a the video umpires can watch replays of an incident and within 10 minutes can ping the on field umpire to send that player off at the next stoppage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back