Concussion Rule

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Now the AFL decides to change rules 3 days before round 1

AFL has just made things worse.

Clubs will not declare a concussion, which will lead to lawsuits between players and the clubs/AFL as a result.

If a player never had concussion he can return to the field!

AFL has just made things worse.

Clubs will not declare a concussion, which will lead to lawsuits between players and the clubs/AFL as a result.

If a player never had concussion he can return to the field!

It won't be the AFL who will be part of a lawsuit. It will be the club, including and especially the one who made the call that the player wasn't concussed. It seems that the AFL want to avoid the Jordan Lewis scenario repeating.

Jude Bolton manages to get himself concussed several times a game so this isn't good for either him or the Swans.

Fair to say it might be in his long-term interests?

Surely an independent (AFL) doctor could conduct the test? Club doctors won't have to feel their coach breathing down their neck then.

Good, watching a player with the staggers is sickening.

Mark above makes a good point, independant testing would be the way to go.

Bit hard to disguise the majority of them though, the after affects usually get caught on camera, and are hard to deny.

The AFL's hands are tied, they had to make this move, they are trying to push an agenda that they are about preventing injuries are they not?

I guess it seems a bit of a waste to pay doctors to to sit around for nine different games when each club has a doctor on hand who would, i imagine, be familiar with the players.

I'd reckon clubs would be smart enough (and legally obligated) to let doctors do the doctor stuff without hindrance.

[YOUTUBE]i3mrw2eWLOo[/YOUTUBE]

These are the hits on Sidney Crosby mentioned before. They occured 4 days apart. He only started skating again in the last few days yet he got up after the second hit. I find it interesting that he was able to get up after the second hit yet wasn't allowed to casually skate again for 2 months afterwards.

It's all fallout from the issues in the US with concussions in the NFL and NHL. Thing is, shouldn't the AFL, after making quite a significant change, add a second substitute? This rule is going to result in a lot more players being unable to return, and is going to force coaches to at some point put injured guys back on the field.

It's all fallout from the issues in the US with concussions in the NFL and NHL. Thing is, shouldn't the AFL, after making quite a significant change, add a second substitute? This rule is going to result in a lot more players being unable to return, and is going to force coaches to at some point put injured guys back on the field.

Concussion is reasonably common in the AFL and with this rule it means the bench is really going to be tested. I imagine the first team that gets 2 concussed players in the one game will be screaming bloody murder when they are being smashed due to player fatigue while 2 fit and healthy players sit on the bench with the AFL refusing to let them back on the field.

Good move by the AFL. Players welfare should be the number 1 priority.

People are dreaming if they think that clubs will lie by giving concussed players the all clear. They too will have their players best interests at heart and they would not risk a potential lawsuit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Potentially makes the sub rule even more of a farce.

This is now heightens the chances of clubs having to play injured players after they have completed their substitution, while a healthy player sits on the bench.

well then its the fault of the dumb coach for using their injury insurance player when there isnt an injury.

i think its a good ruling, although i agree there should be some independence in the process. sure some players come back after a concussion and can be influential (collins for us against the swans), but you never know how bad it can be. frankly im surprised that it took this long, that footage of jonno brown staggering around is just sickening.

I agree some posts above that it will make more mess of the sub rule! The positive is I feel it is likely to remove the sub rule an possibly extent the bench, some more good may come of this. And it's great to see the well being of players is being more looked after!

This is now heightens the chances of clubs having to play injured players after they have completed their substitution, while a healthy player sits on the bench.

Dont sub off a fit player and its not a problem.

how is this a 'rule change'?

you've never been allowed to bring back concussed players (not for 10 years anyway!)
If the AFL had to spell it out for a special rule in relation to Subs, then it just shows that either a) clubs are incredibly stupid, or b) they will try anything to more or less cheat if they can.

More hyperbole from the the anti-sub brigade.
Quick, quick, call for a player strike over it, ********s.

Dont sub off a fit player and its not a problem.
Thank you finally some sense. If people think the rule through then they will be fine. Brad Scott complained because he used his subs on healthy players then after the game cracked it to the media about the rule. Well whos fault is that? The AFL or the coach who subed off the healthy players?

I fully agree with this ruling. Anyone who disagrees with it should be knocked out and then told they will be going to play footy again in 1 hour. I bet you 99% or the complainers here would chicken out. Lewis last year for my team made me furious to see him playing again against the Dogs. Players long term health needs to be observed here. I personally think both new rules compliment each other nicely.

What if theres 2 concussions ?

Now they have defined the sub rule they need to provice adequate number of subs . One is not enough.

Lets make it two or three subs, and three interchange

Thank you finally some sense. If people think the rule through then they will be fine. Brad Scott complained because he used his subs on healthy players then after the game cracked it to the media about the rule. Well whos fault is that? The AFL or the coach who subed off the healthy players?

I fully agree with this ruling. Anyone who disagrees with it should be knocked out and then told they will be going to play footy again in 1 hour. I bet you 99% or the complainers here would chicken out. Lewis last year for my team made me furious to see him playing again against the Dogs. Players long term health needs to be observed here. I personally think both new rules compliment each other nicely.

Hawks lost that game purely through inferior fitness towards the end of the game. The sub rule would have helpd a little because the oppsition would also have been one interchange down.

Really need to have at least 2 subs along with the three interchange

Potentially this rule may have the benefit of removing the inclination for players to run around with their heads 4.5 feet above the ground in an attempt to draw high contact. The reward / punishment ratio is being changed.

Couple of issues:

1) Who's to say star players such as Judd or Reiwoldt, which are extremely important to their team winning, won't be given extra leniency when it comes to deciding whether they are fit to continue playing or not? Especially when it's club doctors making the call.

2) What happens if, say, a player suffers an ACL injury in the first quarter of football and obviously has to be subbed off. That leaves just three on the bench with no subs for the remaining three quarters. Now let's say three players from that same team suffer moderate concussions (not uncommon in football these days) and also aren't allowed to return to the game under these new rules. That leaves no bench players for possibly half a game of football. What happens now if a player pulls a hamstring? Does he have to now play out the game and risk serious injury all because moderately concussed players can't return? Or will special allowances be made for situations like this?

Oh, and how do we even decide the severity of concussion? Especially now since that infamous concussion test now no longer means that a player is fit to play, how do club doctors make that call? Obviously they would know exactly what to look for with a concussed player but how do they decide whether it is extremely harmful to a players health, or minor enough to continue?

Concussion is reasonably common in the AFL and with this rule it means the bench is really going to be tested. I imagine the first team that gets 2 concussed players in the one game will be screaming bloody murder when they are being smashed due to player fatigue while 2 fit and healthy players sit on the bench with the AFL refusing to let them back on the field.

a concussed player is not healthy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back