Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTOA

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I wrote it that way, because I see the whole hooha about concussion as being overhyped.

1) Concussion has always existed, since the first caveman hit the second caveman on the head with his bat. So if it has always existed, why are we focusing only now on it?

Shouldn't we look over historical evidence? Are 60's, 70's and 80's footballers affected by concussion? It wouldn't just be current sportsmen.

Also, how do we know that old footballers who have brain issues don't have them from age-related illnesses. I know someone who never played the game who has Alzheimer's, so maybe things diagnosed as concussion is simply an age-related brain illness.

2) I remember hearing on JYB (Jesaulenko You Beauty) on the radio, an interview with a past footballer. This person talked succintly about his childhood, about each of his brothers and sisters and what they do for a job.

I remember thinking "That sounds like Greg "Diesel" Williams speaking". But I dismissed that, since I heard that Greg Williams was heavily affected by concussions, and the person who said that made it sound like that Diesel was a dribbling vegetable who can barely remember his own name. Yet this guy remembered, in great detail, things about his past, and his present.

I thought "Maybe this is an old interview, before Greg Williams' so-called multiple concussion allegedy rendered him a dribbling mess". But then they ended the interview discussing Sydney's game against North two weeks ago, making it current.

So for someone who is supposed to be heavily affected by concussion, Greg Williams didn't seem to be doing too bad for himself using his "concussed" brain to recall his life.

3) The recent is based on the brains of NFL players. But don't they wear helmets? So how could their brain be so bad, if their heads are protected?

I heard this explained as helmets can make things worse. So then, why have laws saying that you need to wear a helmet when riding a motorbike or bicycle, if helmets are no protection (some bike helmets aren't as hard as NFL football helmets)? Why wear a hardhat on a construction site if helmets aren't any protection from concussion and brain related injuries?

4) If you play AFL football, isn't there a high possibility that you could get concussion? So, it is what they signed on to.

AFL is a contact sport. When you run out on the ground, there is a high probability that you will get injured, and hit in body parts, including the head.

People who become soldiers or police know that they have a greater chance of being shot than the man in the street. Boxers get concussions from years of head knocks. Firemen take great risk fighting fires. if you do a profession where there is great risk, you go in knowing that there is a greater chance of something going wrong. You go in with your eyes open. So how can they then sue over concussion when there is a high probability of playing.

The AFL's solution is simple. Simply add to all player contracts a "waiver" that if they choose to play, and get concussions, then the AFL is not liable. Sign it or don't play.

The only people who benefit from pushing the "concussion" line are lawyers.

5) I got hit in the head in a fun game one time, and got concussion. I turned out okay, and have had no lasting effects.

6) I saw a scene from the movie "Concussion" with Will Smith's dodgy accent. In the scene he is saying that God made animals to have protective heads, like how rams but each other. He said that man is the only species not to have any natural head protection. He also uttered the line "God never intended man to play sport".

Let that quote sink in for a moment. Remember that someone actually said this in real life, and not just Will Smith.

So, can we gather from this that this guy is a sports hater, and even considered sport "sin", since it is violating God's intended will (pardon the pun). So, it sounds like he has an agenda, and is using these "findings" to discredit sport.

7) Not everything scientists or doctors say is true. Just because someone puts "Dr" in front of their name, it doesn't mean that they should be listened to. Otherwise it means that you believe everything in a rap song by Dr Dre, you believe that Daleks are dangerous, because Dr Who told you so, or you "Sing Hallejuah" because Dr Alban tells you to.

Maybe I should change my name by deed poll, and add "Dr" at the start of it. Then people will believe everything I say and write, whether it is bullshit or not. That's how it works, isn't it?

I look forward to your next article on how climate change isn't real. Fluride in the water controls your mind and the queen is a shapeshifting alien lizard

3.You wear a helmet on a motorbike bike because it's the difference between a concussion and your brain laying about 40cm away from your cracked open skull falling off one at 100kmph

This is literally the ramblings of an insane man. Im not sure if your a troll or honestly believe this s**t,

Jesus ******* christ

There's so much to say about literally everything this entire post that it's difficult to know where to start.

I guess I'm just disappointed people like you are given a platform to speak, cos some really ******* dumb person is going to read it and, because they're as ******* dumb as you, they'll probably regard part of it as sensible.

This is exactly how anti-vaccination bullshit spreads

I wrote it that way, because I see the whole hooha about concussion as being overhyped.

1) Concussion has always existed, since the first caveman hit the second caveman on the head with his bat. So if it has always existed, why are we focusing only now on it?

Shouldn't we look over historical evidence? Are 60's, 70's and 80's footballers affected by concussion? It wouldn't just be current sportsmen.

Also, how do we know that old footballers who have brain issues don't have them from age-related illnesses. I know someone who never played the game who has Alzheimer's, so maybe things diagnosed as concussion is simply an age-related brain illness.

2) I remember hearing on JYB (Jesaulenko You Beauty) on the radio, an interview with a past footballer. This person talked succintly about his childhood, about each of his brothers and sisters and what they do for a job.

I remember thinking "That sounds like Greg "Diesel" Williams speaking". But I dismissed that, since I heard that Greg Williams was heavily affected by concussions, and the person who said that made it sound like that Diesel was a dribbling vegetable who can barely remember his own name. Yet this guy remembered, in great detail, things about his past, and his present.

I thought "Maybe this is an old interview, before Greg Williams' so-called multiple concussion allegedy rendered him a dribbling mess". But then they ended the interview discussing Sydney's game against North two weeks ago, making it current.

So for someone who is supposed to be heavily affected by concussion, Greg Williams didn't seem to be doing too bad for himself using his "concussed" brain to recall his life.

3) The recent is based on the brains of NFL players. But don't they wear helmets? So how could their brain be so bad, if their heads are protected?

I heard this explained as helmets can make things worse. So then, why have laws saying that you need to wear a helmet when riding a motorbike or bicycle, if helmets are no protection (some bike helmets aren't as hard as NFL football helmets)? Why wear a hardhat on a construction site if helmets aren't any protection from concussion and brain related injuries?

4) If you play AFL football, isn't there a high possibility that you could get concussion? So, it is what they signed on to.

AFL is a contact sport. When you run out on the ground, there is a high probability that you will get injured, and hit in body parts, including the head.

People who become soldiers or police know that they have a greater chance of being shot than the man in the street. Boxers get concussions from years of head knocks. Firemen take great risk fighting fires. if you do a profession where there is great risk, you go in knowing that there is a greater chance of something going wrong. You go in with your eyes open. So how can they then sue over concussion when there is a high probability of playing.

The AFL's solution is simple. Simply add to all player contracts a "waiver" that if they choose to play, and get concussions, then the AFL is not liable. Sign it or don't play.

5) I got hit in the head in a fun game one time, and got concussion. I turned out okay, and have had no lasting effects.

6) I saw a scene from the movie "Concussion" with Will Smith's dodgy accent. In the scene he is saying that God made animals to have protective heads, like how rams but each other. He said that man is the only species not to have any natural head protection. He also uttered the line "God never intended man to play sport".

Let that quote sink in for a moment. Remember that someone actually said this in real life, and not just Will Smith.

So, can we gather from this that this guy is a sports hater, and even considered sport "sin", since it is violating God's intended will (pardon the pun). So, it sounds like he has an agenda, and is using these "findings" to discredit sport.

7) Not everything scientists or doctors say is true. Just because someone puts "Dr" in front of their name, it doesn't mean that they should be listened to. Otherwise it means that you believe everything in a rap song by Dr Dre, you believe that Daleks are dangerous, because Dr Who told you so, or you "Sing Hallejuah" because Dr Alban tells you to.

Maybe I should change my name by deed poll, and add "Dr" at the start of it. Then people will believe everything I say and write, whether it is bullshit or not. That's how it works, isn't it?
Has this theory of yours been submitted to a reputable scientific journal for peer review GTOa?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"6) I saw a scene from the movie "Concussion" with Will Smith's dodgy accent. In the scene he is saying that God made animals to have protective heads, like how rams but each other. He said that man is the only species not to have any natural head protection. He also uttered the line "God never intended man to play sport".

"

I heard he was a nerd too. Clearly we can't trust the findings of any nerdy scientists when it comes to things like concussions. I'll leave that in the hands of the real experts, like the guys who can't tie their ******* shoes anymore

Yet most posters here have not actually addressed/refuted the points OP made - just juvenile ridicule.

But not surprising in the current PC zeitgeist.

The fact that you think people are being conned by the seriousness of how concussion is interpreted and conveyed simply highlights how dangerous your opinion is. It's actually concerning.

I know everyone is entitled to an opinion, but sometimes you've got to just be called out as wrong. You are wrong.

I'd also be suggesting to you that if you want to dispute the opinion of a Doctor, then you enrol in medical school and study for the best part of a decade then come back and refute that opinion.

The AFL learnt from NFL about concussion which in America led to law suits, the AFL knee jerked and applied heavy laws against head high contact as they should but their motives was to avoid law suits whilst appearing they have the players best interest.

Point 3, Helmets are worse for NFL players because the NFL players feel a sense of immortality and lead with their heads, its not just skull impact it's the shaking of the brain the more you do that the more inflammation your brain has when the inflammation and the swelling still remains on game day the individual is at much higher risk of concussion/brain damage.

You can get concussion from whiplash NFL/AFL players can get concussion from a crunching tackle due to the vibration that goes through the body which shakes the brain.

The only good point you made is not to listen to everyone who has "Dr" on the front of their name.

giphy.gif

Disappointed. I expected to open this thread and read about Will Smith.

1/10 ya campaigner ya let me down. I gave you the 1 because it may have been about Will, but it wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back