Other Concussions and Player Safety Issues

Remove this Banner Ad

The NFL reported that concussion totals slightly increased in 2019.
NFL officials are still pleased with the numbers, as the 2019 total is far fewer than the 2017 total. The staggering number of concussions in 2017 led to many changes, including some high-risk activities being banned, like the Oklahoma drill. As the reports show, those changes have improved player safety. ACL and MCL tears were also less frequent this year, potentially pointing towards fewer season-ending injuries across the league. Expect the NFL to continue to implement new rules that will help mitigate injuries.
SOURCE: NFL.com
Jan 23, 2020, 8:04 PM ET

latimes.com
y NATHAN FENNO
DEC. 8, 2020
2:45 PM
Isiah “Butch” Robertson, the hard-hitting All-Pro linebacker who starred for the Rams in the 1970s, had an advanced case of a neurodegenerative disease linked to repeated brain trauma, according to a wrongful death lawsuit filed Monday in Los Angeles County Superior Court on behalf of his family.
The lawsuit against the NCAA said Robertson was diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy after he died in a car accident in December 2018 at age 69. According to the suit, he had Stage 3 of the disease, with Stage 4 being the most serious.
“Later in life, Isiah’s mental and physical health began to deteriorate,” the 14-page complaint said. “Isiah began to experience sleep disturbances, headaches, outbursts, loss of ability to control his emotions, trouble recalling information, anger management issues, reckless behavior, and a lack of a filter when speaking.”

According to the lawsuit, Robertson “sustained numerous brain injuries” while playing at Southern University in Louisiana from 1967 to 1970 without “adequate concussion management protocols or policies in place to address and treat brain injuries sustained by Isiah and others during practices and in games.”

The lawsuit, which doesn’t name the school as a defendant, accuses the NCAA of not educating football players about brain injuries and not implementing various rules to protect those who suffered concussions.

“As a direct and proximate result of the NCAA’s conduct, Isaiah sustained serious injuries and death,” the complaint said.

The NCAA didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

The NFL is working with sports technology companies to create position-specific helmets designed to mitigate concussions.

A newly designed helmet for linemen was released in February. The helmet "provides additional support in the front, where most head impacts take place for players on the offensive and defensive line." In 2021, the league's helmet testing will analyze and test helmet models based on the head shots quarterbacks take. Most QB concussions come from "back-of-the-head impacts when quarterback are thrown to the ground and are unable to brace themselves," according to NFL data. Concussions among NFL players dropped by 5 percent in 2020. There were 224 reported concussions in 2019, up 4.7 percent from 2018. That figure was 20 percent lower than the number of reported concussions (281) during the 2017 NFL season. The key word here is "reported," as many brain injuries go unreported, according to players who have spoken out on the issue.

SOURCE: ESPN.com
Apr 5, 2021, 11:17 AM ET

Des Bieler
Today at 8:28 p.m. EDT

Legendary former quarterback Brett Favre is warning parents not to let their children play tackle football before the age of 14, lest they greatly increase their kids’ risk of eventually developing the neurodegenerative disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).

In a public service announcement released Tuesday by the Concussion Legacy Foundation, the Green Bay Packers great is featured in a video in which he plays the middle-aged version of a football player who is first shown talking to his parents as a youngster and then as an adolescent.
After the adolescent tells his parents, “By the time I’m your age …,” the video shows him changing to Favre, who says, “ … I could be fighting depression, struggling to keep my thoughts straight.”

“I could become violent — even towards my own children,” Favre continues in the video. “When I’m your age, what will matter to me is not my youth football career, but that, like you, I’m a great parent and I can provide for my family.

Concussion Legacy Foundation cited a 2019 study by a team of researchers from Boston University that concluded for every 2.6 years of playing tackle football, an athlete’s risk of CTE doubles. Someone who played tackle football for 14.5 years, the study found, was 10 times more likely to develop CTE than someone who spent fewer years playing.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published a study earlier this year in which the federal agency found that children playing tackle football between the ages of 6 and 14 sustained 15 times the head impacts of those playing flag football in the same age range — and 23 times more high-magnitude head impacts.

“Having kids play tackle football before high school is just not worth the risk,” the 51-year-old Favre said in a statement shared by the Concussion Legacy Foundation. “CTE is a terrible disease, and we need to do everything we can to prevent it for the next generation of football players.”
Favre, who played in the NFL for 20 seasons and set a record with 297 consecutive starts — 321 including playoff games — has spoken out in the past about the numerous concussions he suffered. He said in 2018 that while he considered himself “lucky” not to be in worse condition, he felt his short-term memory and ability to recall basic vocabulary had “gotten a lot worse.”

That year also saw Favre reveal he was uncomfortable with the practice of youth tackle football.

I just cringe,” he said then, “seeing a fragile little boy get tackled and the people ‘ooh’ and ‘ahh’ and they just don’t know. Or they don’t care. It’s just so scary.”
“It’s time to accept that CTE is not just a risk for professional and college football players, but also for high school players,” Concussion Legacy Foundation co-founder and former college football player Chris Nowinski said in a statement Tuesday, “and the best way to prevent CTE among football players is to delay the introduction of tackle football to reduce the number of years played.”
The Concussion Legacy Foundation claims a brain bank study of 65 high school football players who did not go on to play the sport in college or professionally found that 16 of them had CTE, and that of that group, 15 began playing tackle football before the age of 14. The organization noted that the prevalence of CTE among all former high school football players is unknown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[Florio PFT] The Guardian Cap apparently works. But if a player asks to wear it in a game, the league would say no.

View attachment 1780729
Not that I'm a doctor, but I think that guardian caps are more likely to stop a finger break from a QB than any concussion/head trauma for the players. The whole approach is cooked if they "work in training" but not on game day

Not that I'm a doctor, but I think that guardian caps are more likely to stop a finger break from a QB than any concussion/head trauma for the players. The whole approach is cooked if they "work in training" but not on game day
Does kinda make sense tho....padding on the outside not just inside would soften/lessen the impact of hits

There are some bits of research like that Stanford Med one that show little to no reduction, and that it might placebo or false sense of security when using the caps which is why some thing the NFL are petrified over the possible use in live games since they know it might not do anything and would come out in future lawsuits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back