Confess - What players did you want your club to draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
ANyone who has been following the draft for a while now will have had players that they really wanted their club to draft, and most of the time your club would not have drafted that particular player, for whatever reason. So here, lets confess about what players you personally wanted your club to draft, and lets see how good you are at identifying talent.

For me

2008 - Lewis Johnson
2009 - Gary Rohan, Luke Tapscott
2010 - Patrick Karnezis
2011 - Tom Mitchell (obvious)
2012 - Can't remember
2013 - Zac Jones
2014 - Isaac Heeney and Sam Durdin
2015 - Callum Mills
2016 - Will Brodie
2017 - Charlie Constable

It was a bit easier for me as the Tom Mitchell, Isaac Heeney and Callum Mills years were basically decided for me, but I really screwed up with the likes of Johnston, Karnezis and Durdin. Too early to tell with Brodie and Constable though.

ANyone who has been following the draft for a while now will have had players that they really wanted their club to draft, and most of the time your club would not have drafted that particular player, for whatever reason. So here, lets confess about what players you personally wanted your club to draft, and lets see how good you are at identifying talent.

For me

2008 - Lewis Johnson
2010 - Patrick Karnezis
2012 - Can't remember
2013 - Zac Jones
2015 - Callum Mills
2016 - Will Brodie
2017 - Charlie Constable

It was a bit easier for me as the Tom Mitchell, Isaac Heeney and Callum Mills years were basically decided for me, but I really screwed up with the likes of Johnston, Karnezis and Durdin. Too early to tell with Brodie and Constable though.

2016 I really wanted Brodie but thought we were out of the picture pick wise... come draft week the missus and I knew that Oli Florent had been told we would pick him up and that he personally expected to end up a Roo so I'd already developed a soft spot for him. Alas, he went the pick before.

2017 I think all North fans were desperately hoping Carlton would bypass Dow who'd been making a few gestures in the build up how much he wanted to come to North but we knew the jig was up morning of the draft when he unfollowed North and started following Carlton in Instagram. Saying that I think it was mostly because we assumed LDU was out of reach so there were no sad tears shed that night.

I would hardly call Durdin a "screwed up" pick. Go watch his last game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me

2008 - Lewis Johnson
2010 - Patrick Karnezis
2012 - Can't remember
2013 - Zac Jones
2015 - Callum Mills
2016 - Will Brodie
2017 - Charlie Constable

A bit early to write off Durdin.

2013: Thought Acres may have been the better pick for us. We took Cripps.
2014: Keen on Menadue and then Maynard, but we took Boekhorst.
2015: Weitering an easy 1st. Hoping to get Weideman, but happy with McKay. Thrilled with Curnow and wouldn't give him up for anyone from that draft.
2016: Wanted Taranto but got SPS. Pretty happy right now. Keen on Drew at #25 but took Fisher. No issue here, either.
2017: Wanted Dow at our first and we took him. No one I'd have rather had at this pick.

This guy, but Collingwood got him :(

20171006_210444.jpg

2013: Really wanted Ben Lennon, got him. Sad that he ended up as a flop.

2014: Wanted Weller and Blakely, who ended up going immediately after both of the Tiges picks lol. Was still pretty happy about getting Menadue.

2015: I really liked Oliver during the year but then he rocketed up the ranks. Wanted Hipwood, who the Tiges did bid on, but after those two wanted Gresham.

2016: Was hoping to get Brodie but ended up trading the first pick and not having one until 29, wanted English or SPP to massively slide but it wasn't to be.

2017: Wanted the rumours about the Stephenson boy sliding to be true but didn't think it would happen.
Wanted Balta with 17 ended up getting him at 25.
Still chuffed about getting Higgins.

In recent years, I’ve gunned for the Crows to take Daniel Venables and Mitch Hibberd, even though neither player ever seemed to look likely for us. Sadly, Hibberd hasn’t kicked on so far like I thought he would.

As a later pick, was really hoping we’d take Tyson Stengle as a future replacement for Betts, Richmond have a good one I reckon to pair with Bolton/Rioli/Butler etc

Great thread.

2007 (#6) Wanted: Palmer or Rioli. Got: Myers
2008 (#5) Wanted: Hurley. Got: Hurley.
2009 (#10) Wanted: Butcher (went before our pick) or Gysberts. Got: Melksham
2010 (#8) Wanted: Caddy (went before our pick). Got: Heppell.
2011 (#19) Wanted: Seb Ross. Got: Kavanagh
2012 Daniher. 2013/14 Ignored the draft.
2015 (#5, #6) Wanted: Parish, Francis. Got: Parish, Francis.
2016 (#1) Wanted: McLuggage. Got: McGrath

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2011: Wanted Greene we got Longer
2012: Wanted Menzel we got Mayes
2013: Wanted Sheed we got Aish
2014: Traded for Beams
2015: Wanted Schache but also liked Oliver
2016: Wanted McCluggage
2017: Was a bit spooked by all the early go home talk about Rayner but warmed to him after seeing his interviews

Wanted Cerra and didn't want Brayshaw. Couldn't believe we got LDU. I was positive he was going 1 or 2 (along with alot of people). Should mention that I would've been stoked with Dow too.

Wanted Florent over Simpkin at the time but didn't know who Simpkin was because he hadn't been playing.

Hadn't had a decent draft pick for a while before that (not including Mcdonald) so wasn't incredibly invested in that aspect.

Of the players that were actually available to select at our first pick:

2007: Morton (Masten) fail
2008: Naitanui (Naitanui)
2009: Butcher (Sheppard) fail
2010: Polec (Gaff) fail
2011: McInnes (Newman)
2012: Graham (Colledge)
2013: Sheed (Sheed)
2014: Duggan (Duggan)
2015: Bonner (Partington)
2016: Powell-Pepper (Venables)
2017: Higgins (Brander)

Overall I would have done worse than our recruiters.

2012: Wanted Stringer, Hrovat and Stewart, got Grundy, Kennedy and Broomhead
2013: Wanted Aish and Freeman, got Scharenberg and Freeman
2014: Wanted Wright, Moore and Miller got De Goey, Moore and Maynard
2015: Wanted Fiorini, got Sier
2016: Wanted Macreadie, got McLarty
2017: Wanted Cerra and Clavarino, got Stephenson and Murphy

Here we go:

2008 - Ayce Cordy (FS)
2009 - Jasper Pittard
2010 - Wallis & Libba (FS)
2011 - Haydn Crozier
2012 - Toumpas & Stringer (picks 5 & 6 back to back)
2013 - Scharenmberg
2014 - No idea (first picks were in the 2nd round)
2015 - After we traded down was hoping Fiorini and/or Ben McKay slid
2016 - Didn't care was too busy celebrating
2017 - Was hoping Coffield got through

2015 - Darcy Parish
2016 - One of Will Brodie and Sam Powell-Pepper. Shai Bolton and Jack Graham were good choices though.
2017 - Jaidyn Stephenson, Nathan Murphy and Jarrod Brander. Happy with who we got instead though.

Never really been one to have specific preferences to certain players pre draft but I do recall liking the sound of Kieran Collins (Dandenong Stingrays) and thinking that he would be a good fit for the Hawks with either pick 19 or 22 in 2015, my reasoning was that he was already a big bodied defender who might have been able to slot into a key back role straight away to help offset Brian Lake retiring.
As it turned out we went with Ryan Burton with pick 19 and Kieran Lovell with pick 22, Burton is going really well while Lovell has been a bit stiff with injury over his short career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys that I were super keen on at the time they were drafted, on a few occasions like 2011 and 2012 they went the pick or so before:

2006: Bachar Houli (Todd Goldstein)
2007: Cyril Rioli, Alex Rance (Robbie Tarrant)
2008: Dan Hannebery, Jayden Post (Sam Wright)
2009: Ben Cunnington, Koby Stevens (Cunnington, Aaron Black)
2010: Isaac Smith, Shaun Atley (Atley)
2011: Brandon Ellis, Toby Greene (Brad McKenzie)
2012 : Sam Mayes, Jesse Lonergan (Taylor Garner)
2013: Luke McDonald, Matt Scharenberg (Luke McDonald)
2014: Lachie Weller, Sam Durdin, Jayden Laverde (Sam Durdin); Touk Miller, Connor Blakely (Dan Nielson)
2015: Jade Gresham, Ryan Burton (Ben McKay) Josh Battle, Shai Bolton (Declan Watson)
2016: Jy Simpkin, Oliver Florent (Jy Simpkin)
2017: LDU, Dow (LDU); Charlie Spargo, Tim Kelly (Will Walker)

Aaron Davey in the 2003 rookie draft also hurt quite a lot at the time since he was starring for the North aligned Port Melbourne and the club took Shane Harvey in the PSD on Boomers request over Davey, who most had already penciled into the side for 2004, we had no rookie spaces that year, was an era where you didn't tend to poach VFL players from each other. Big Footy's first server meltdown.

Last edited:
Wanted Higgins at 10 this year. Wasn't too fussed about our first pick with the talk being of Rayner/Dow/LDU being similar levels (Brayshaw a bit of a late bolter, was probably less keen on Cerra but only because I heard/read less about him too).

Hmmm.... good thread.

2017 - We were always starting late. Was holding out hope Worpel might drop. Nearly got there.

2016 - I wanted McGrath weeks out from the draft, was not in the McCluggage camp. Past that, was hoping Jy Simpkin might slip to our second pick.

2015 - I always wanted Parish ahead of Oliver (though that would for the moment appear the wrong call). I had an outside hope that one of the McKay brothers might get to our third pick, but it was never really realistic.

2014 - One of Touk Miller or Jarrod Garlett. Was disappointed when our Langford/Laverde combo came up without taking the still available Miller (at the time of course).

2013 - Cripps and Lobb. Obviously we were thrown out of the draft this year, and it's often suggested we would have taken those two had we retained our picks. I know we had Bontempelli at #1, but we never would have got a shot regardless. Luckily enough, even with the penalties this turned in to a great draft for us - Merrett and Fantasia. It does burn a bit knowing we may have had all four.

2012 - Joe Daniher. We would have taken him at #1, and knowing we had him made this a winner before the draft had even happened. I had been eyeing off Grundy - but it was obviously never a significant chance.

2011 - Seb Ross. Had him eyeballed for our first pick, ultimately we went Kavanagh.

2010 - Daniel Gorringe! Our first pick was looking a toss up between him, Heppell and Caddy. Not gonna lie, was a tad disappointed when we went Heppell instead of Gorringe... sorry skip!

2009 - Kane Lucas of all players.

2008 - Whilst even at the time I was stoked with Hurley, embarrassingly the other player I would have wanted at that pick was Ty Vickery!

I think we can all agree I'm not winning any list management roles any time soon...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back