Confess - What players did you want your club to draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if in a world where Carlton don't have Cripps, they pick LDU instead of Dow.

LDU and Cripps are similar sizes and similar mids so it was the right choice to get Dow.
Pretty similar with Fyfe and LDU. Tall strong mids.
Seems both Carlton and Fremantle picked different types of players to what they had.

SOS rated Dow the best player in the draft, so the answer would be no.

As for size; LDU is nowhere near as big as Cripps. Closer to Matt Kennedy, that Carlton acquired from GWS, but you're talking types and not heights.
LDU may be more a Ollie Wines than a Cripps, if we're after comparisons. Maybe.

SOS rated Dow the best player in the draft, so the answer would be no.

As for size; LDU is nowhere near as big as Cripps. Closer to Matt Kennedy, that Carlton acquired from GWS, but you're talking types and not heights.
LDU may be more a Ollie Wines than a Cripps, if we're after comparisons. Maybe.
Yeah yourre right. Bad xomparison. LDU plays more like fyfe and the bont. Cripps is taller but much slower.

Who I wanted when the pick came up during the draft:
2013: Trent Dumont (27)
2014: Jayden Laverde at 17 then again at 20, at the time would have loved Laverde and Goddard with the two picks
2015: Aaron Francis (5), Mitch Hibberd (6), Ryan Clarke (29), Harley Balic (30)
2016: Will Setterfield (1), Alex Witherden (22)
Setterfield with Pick 1??

2005 Mitch Clark (Oakley-Nicholls)
2010 Tom Lynch (Reece Conca)
2011 Taylor Adams (Brandon Ellis)
2012 Brodie Grundy (Nick Vlaustin)
2013 Cameron McCarthy (Ben Lennon)
2014 Lachie Weller (Corey Ellis)
2017 Jarrod Brander (Jack Higgins) Oscar Allen (Cameron Coleman-Jones)

2005 - Josh Kennedy and Mitch Clark or Paddy Ryder
2006 - Thorp
2007- Rance
2013 - Garlett
2015- Burton
2016 and 2017 I had no targets

2013 - Kade Kolodjashnij
2014 - pass
2015 - Jacob Weitering & our academy kids
2016 - Ben Ainsworth & Alex Witherden
2017 - Luke Davies-Uniake & James Worpel & our academy kids
2018 - Izak Rankine & Thomas Berry

Last edited:
2012: Wanted O’Brien, Got O’Brien. Had a feeling when Brand got drafted that he would be good. Or at least better than Brand. Both pushing for breakout seasons.

2015: Wanted Burton, Got Burton.

Didn’t know much at all about Lovell other than he’s a short midfielder.

Wanted Mathieson as our 2nd/3rd pick but was taken a couple picks or so before our 3rd Pick. Very happy with Hardwick though.

2016: Couldn’t even guess. Morrison looks good though.

2017: Had actually thought of all 3(Worpel, Moore, Ross) as being a good fit for Hawthorn. Am stoked with our draft.

was really hoping Fogarty would slip down to crows pick 12 as he was very highly rated and was an SA lad so it would help remove any go home factor the crows have struggled with lately. Stoked when it worked out

Don
was really hoping Fogarty would slip down to crows pick 12 as he was very highly rated and was an SA lad so it would help remove any go home factor the crows have struggled with lately. Stoked when it worked out
Dont think it worked out,recruiters outside SA knew he’d have go home factor all over him.Stayed away looks a good prospect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon you guys were lucky we traded out of the draft. Would have been all over Fogarty at 11.

Reckon you guys were lucky we traded out of the draft. Would have been all over Fogarty at 11.
There's a few of us on the Lions board that still believe pick 12 was too high a price to pay for Charlie Cameron. Especially when you consider the Lions recruiters rated Fogarty as the 5th best prospect in the draft, and he was there to be had with pick 12.

There's a few of us on the Lions board that still believe pick 12 was too high a price to pay for Charlie Cameron. Especially when you consider the Lions recruiters rated Fogarty as the 5th best prospect in the draft, and he was there to be had with pick 12.

It definitely was. Pick 15 or 18 were much fairer deals. That said Bailey and Starcevich were two of my favourites in the entire draft so you still did very well.

Brisbane and Gold Coast both paid overs to bring in a contracted player for similar reasons, they could afford to and they needed to.

12 was definitley overs for Cameron but if he plays 150+ it is a win, regardless of what the bloke at pick 12 does.

Brisbane and Gold Coast need to keep bringing in AFL quality players who want to be there. Once they are more succesful they can be a bit more ruthless at the trade table .

From last years draft at the time I wanted:

Pick 1 LDU
Pick 15 Lochie O'Brien
Pick 18 Charlie Constable
Pick 41 James Worpel

Obviously O'brien ended up going pick 10 so that scenario was impossible.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I freely admit I have minimal interest/knowledge about most draft crops.

I wanted us to draft Naitanui in 2008 because we had pick 2 and I had seen him play WAFL seniors.

Other than that I'm really just happy when the players we do draft turn out. Judd at 3 turned out well, but didn't know anything about him other than we didn't think he would be there at pick 3. Gaff at 4, cool - never heard of him. I know we were keen on Callan Ward and the Dogs took him just before our pick but the only reason I wanted us to pick him is hindsight. At the time I had never heard of him either.

Every year there are people going on about this kid and that kid and who will slide etc. and I reckon 99% of them have NFI and are just recycling other people's opinions.

Wanted Charlie Curnow, and think that desire will be vindicated. He and Petracca rotating between the HFF and midfield would be frightening for any opponent. Oh well. Weideman is no bust just yet, and we reached for Oliver over Parish which makes up for it.

This is bad.

Wanted Aaron Black, we picked Fyfe. I was spewing at the time. So glad I have nothing to do with recruiting.
You weren’t alone there. You at least come out better in that story than our melts when we overlooked black for Koby Stevens and Gerrick Whedon. :S the more knowledgeable posters were a little miffed we didn’t get Fyfe but that was much quieter in comparison!

This draft just gone, I really wanted Starcevich. I think he’s going to be a gem and I didn’t see him going so early. We had such a plethora of 2nd rounders so I felt for sure we would get him in the 30’s.

These things happen I guess. I’m normally pretty happy to back in the judgment of the recruiters- we often do hear about the guys that they get wrong- but they often cop (unfairly, IMO) the wrap for issues in development of youth development.

The ones I remember

McCarthy over Cripps
Laverde over Boekhurst
Menadue over DVR
Weitering got Weitering
The rumour was we could get either Milera or McKay to go with Curnow (who I wanted) we went with McKay I wanted Milera
Dunkley over Cuningham
Brodie over SPS
Boulton over Fisher
LDU or Dow I didn't really care
Fogarty over O'Brien
Worpel over De Koning
Sambono over Schumacher
Really happy with Garlett

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back