Society/Culture Confession From A Bali 9 Member

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.theage.com.au/national/bid-to-save-bali-nine-member-20100110-m0o4.html

Now don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for Rush and those in jail in Bali. It wouldn't be a nice experience at all (especially on death row). From memory if they refused to smuggle the drugs, they were told they and their families would be killed. Alarm bells should have been ringing though if a stranger offers free overseas trips and spending money etc.

Anyhow, Renae Lawrence has confessed to doing multiple drug runs from Bali to try and get Rush off. Wouldn't shock me if her sentance was increased whilst Rush sees no change to his. A desperate move that could backfire?

Hopefully the ringleaders in the operation get life. Unfortunately the big daddy still hasn't been found.

Hopefully they win their appeals against their death sentances. Even if they do, they will have many more ordinary years in a Bali jail to contemplate how they all got sucked into this.

Now don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for Rush and those in jail in Bali. It wouldn't be a nice experience at all (especially on death row). From memory if they refused to smuggle the drugs, they were told they and their families would be killed..

Then you go to the Australian Consulate and tell them "this is what is happening, I really need some help"

Trying to move drugs into, out or around Asia is up there with the most idiotic things an individual can do. It's a high price to pay for stupidity, but I don't think any of the 9 can say they were ignorant of the risks.

Don't think once they'd arrived in Bali they would have had much time to themselves to call the consulate etc.

As I said, if someone offers you a free trip....beware? It's probably something sus?

Pity that they always catch the mules and possibly lower level organisers. I wonder if Chan knows who they are but won't squeal knowing that his family will be in deep deep.

The discrepancy in sentences between what Scott Rush received and what the other mules received is clearly unjust. Death v. 20 years.

from the article --
"Rush was initially sentenced to life imprisonment - but in a shock judgment, the sentence was increased to death on appeal in the Supreme Court in 2006.
In the same court, fellow couriers Martin Stephens and Michael Czugaj had life sentences upheld.
The differing appeal sentences were imposed on the basis of the same evidence heard by different judges."

You might argue about what level of punishment they all deserve but surely no one could argue they should receive substantially different sentences on the basis of the same evidence.

Don't think once they'd arrived in Bali they would have had much time to themselves to call the consulate etc.

As I said, if someone offers you a free trip....beware? It's probably something sus?

Pity that they always catch the mules and possibly lower level organisers. I wonder if Chan knows who they are but won't squeal knowing that his family will be in deep deep.

They were caught in the act of strapping the drugs to themselves and getting ready to leave, although I'm unsure of how long they were in Bali before hand. I don't imagine it would've been too long.

It probably won't affect Lawrence's appeal. My understanding is she's been straight up about this for years in the hope of gaining Rush some clemency, but she still keeps getting time shaved off her sentence, while Rush is still hanging around on death row.

The conduct of the AFP in this case is nothing short of disgusting. They let a kid go to another country and commit a capital crime, and, if he dies, they will have assisted in his execution.

Yes, smuggling drugs in Asia is a ridiculosly stupid thing to do - it's not a point that bears repeating, really.

It probably won't affect Lawrence's appeal. My understanding is she's been straight up about this for years in the hope of gaining Rush some clemency, but she still keeps getting time shaved off her sentence, while Rush is still hanging around on death row.

The conduct of the AFP in this case is nothing short of disgusting. They let a kid go to another country and commit a capital crime, and, if he dies, they will have assisted in his execution.

Yes, smuggling drugs in Asia is a ridiculosly stupid thing to do - it's not a point that bears repeating, really.

Particularly as it was just after the height of the Chapelle Corby circus.

Lazy and greedy, after a quick buck and couldn't be bothered working for it, yet were quite prepared to import a substance into Australia with the potential to cause untold misery.

Good on the AFP I say. I just heard a tid bit on the radio, there's been anothery arrested in Indon and the AFP may have let the Indon authorities know about that one too.

AFP should be applauded. How many kids out there now looking for a quick buck would consider doing a trip to Bali after what has happened to the Bali 9 ?

There's probally just as many doing it right now as there was when they got arrested. Drugs get into Australia all the time, as Lawrence proved by admitting they had already been successful once. Just because they arn't getting caught doesnt mean it aint happening.

AFP should have arrested them when they landed in Australia. Life in jail or the death sentance is not a fair punishment for drug traffiking (not that I really care that they are serving that, they know the risks and if countries around the world want to enforce these strict penalties then that is their decision) especially when rapists dont even get twenty years these day. For the Indonesian's to be tipped off about it is disgusting. Not hard to arrest them in Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back