Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
I don't mean like see gameplay opening night but would be awesome if they told us what there plans for the game are and everything they want to achieve with it.

Anyone remember when you pass the ball to a player who's only slightly behind the goal line walks over it? Happens in every AFL game, and even in Live 1. That needs to be fixed so the player acts differently around the goal line, trying to keep the ball in play to kick a goal.

Anyone remember when you pass the ball to a player who's only slightly behind the goal line walks over it? Happens in every AFL game, and even in Live 1. That needs to be fixed so the player acts differently around the goal line, trying to keep the ball in play to kick a goal.
You'd think/hope that a bit of the AI from Cricket would help with that kind of thing? The fielders have boundary rope awareness. Would get interesting in footy though since there are times where you would actually want to carrier to go out of bounds, but obviously not over your goal line.

You'd think/hope that a bit of the AI from Cricket would help with that kind of thing? The fielders have boundary rope awareness. Would get interesting in footy though since there are times where you would actually want to carrier to go out of bounds, but obviously not over your goal line.
they do? what platform you on

Yeah that handball over the top and then you have no time to kick it before the guy runs over the line is annoying as *

BigAntStudios is there a page where we can tell you ideas and wishes for the AFL game?

Happy for a thread on here, there are ex-Big Footy mods on the Big Ant team, I'm sure we can get a good discussion going.

Firstly, we have been very busy but this has been ten years in the making, waiting for the opportunity to get another crack at it.

Nacon have been awesome, letting us run autonomously, including being able to license and make an AFL game.

The AFL are 100000% on board from the very, very top of the organisation, this will be a very tight partnership, we both want to dominate this space.

There is so much infrastructure that will come from our other games that on their own, without addition, would already make this the deepest AFL game to date.

On the game-play front, we have had AFL assistant coaches at Big Ant for some time now, on the payroll, helping us write the AI.

I cannot say much more right now, but the future is bright.
When are we able to hear more about what your plans are with this game? I can not wait!

Two minor details I hope to see in coach mode:

1. The ability to view career games played when viewing a player's stats (very minor I know but it's nice to keep track on a long career instead of just getting the milestone email after they've played)
2. The ability to sign contracts at any point during the season. Too many times you'd get to the end of the season in Evo 2, or take over a new club, and somehow have 26 players out of contract and about 1.5mil of salary cap left. Having the option to make signings during the season would ease salary demands and allow you to choose carefully at the end of the year

So excited to have Big Ant back. I won't pretend I haven't played the crap out of Evolution 2, nor hide that I genuinely enjoy the game. But I know that Ross & Big Ant have a passion for AFL, and their own work, so will be able to make as great a product as we could hope for. The early days of AFL Live are what finally convinced me to sign up on Bigfooty rather than lurk back in 2011, and it was a magical time. Looking forward to the dev journey in here

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How in depth and detailed will coaches mode be? And how close do you think you guys can get to match the afl gameplay?

Be interesting to see how they do the ratings and potentials, I think they can take a lot from how Fifa do there potentials and growth. For example Jason Horne Francis would have a higher potential then say a lower ranked draftee, and when going to the draft in a career mode you have to scout players to unlock their future potential.

With current players for example Buddy is a 90 rated player, he would only decrease in rating over the year not get better due to his age. I think form within the game can be a factor as well. Hopefully they have a good team on board to get the ratings right as it’s been an issue in the past and it’s been way to easy to train players ratings up

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Something pretty basic I wouldn't mind seeing would be adjustable crowd size.

The Big Ant cricket games have crowds that vary with game type (international vs domestic vs club in career mode).

it's quite nice during a test match where the crowd starts at about 50%, peaks in the middle of the day and then back to about 50% by the end of the day. I don't think there is a day by day dependency though.

How in depth and detailed will coaches mode be? And how close do you think you guys can get to match the afl gameplay?

My feeling is that, at it's core, it's always going to be an "arcade" game. That's not at all meant to be derogatory, but you're condensing two hours worth of sport into ~20 minutes. To do that for AFL it'll mean a lot of repeat stoppages are effectively programmed out.

It's like FIFA vs Football Manger. FIFA is fun as hell, but you get "realistic" scores in 1/6th of the time, hence the scoring rate is unrealistic by a factor of 6. Only does Football Manager resemble real soccer.

I would love an AFL version of Football Manager but I think I'm in the minority.
The building of a team and then trying to win multiple flags over an extended period of time really appeals to me.
I think most people love to control their fav. player though and play with a few mates or online, that'll be the target market.
I'm sure the AFL will want the broadest market possible, so something that's easy to pickup and play means you will sacrifice a little realism for the "fun factor" I'm sure.

I would love an AFL version of Football Manager but I think I'm in the minority.
The building of a team and then trying to win multiple flags over an extended period of time really appeals to me.
I think most people love to control their fav. player though and play with a few mates or online, that'll be the target market.
I'm sure the AFL will want the broadest market possible, so something that's easy to pickup and play means you will sacrifice a little realism for the "fun factor" I'm sure.
There are games out there like that. Australian Football Coach is out now and a new version is in development

My feeling is that, at it's core, it's always going to be an "arcade" game. That's not at all meant to be derogatory, but you're condensing two hours worth of sport into ~20 minutes. To do that for AFL it'll mean a lot of repeat stoppages are effectively programmed out.

It's like FIFA vs Football Manger. FIFA is fun as hell, but you get "realistic" scores in 1/6th of the time, hence the scoring rate is unrealistic by a factor of 6. Only does Football Manager resemble real soccer.

It is a core pillar of the games we make that they are to be a "highlights reel" of the sport being depicted. We will obviously have the tight contests, but as much as it is what happens in the real game, I don't think anyone wants to see three or four ball-ups in a row in the same spot.

It is a core pillar of the games we make that they are to be a "highlights reel" of the sport being depicted. We will obviously have the tight contests, but as much as it is what happens in the real game, I don't think anyone wants to see three or four ball-ups in a row in the same spot.
I see where you guys are coming from but I feel like most sports games now are pushing for simulation base. Would love for it to be hard to get a good shot at goal because the opposing team always has a good structured backline. I don’t think the game would feel to real if every marking contest is a specky. If you guys are pushing for more arcade Is it possible to have sliders so we can adjust the gameplay to suit how we would like to play it? Or have settings before you start the game. So arcade/simulation. Arcade being more free flowing, speckys, easier goals, man on man, and simulation be harder to score, tactics involved, injuries and such on?

Would like to see more man on man contested contests. Footy games never really depict those well.

Would be awesome where, somewhat like Fifa, passing between players is fairly easy (particularly uncontested). And the "game" is trying to create plays or pick holes in the defensive structure - again, much like playing Fifa is. AFL games to date have been very manual in skill execution. Often it's quite hard to hit a lead (AFL Live did this pretty well), but even when you do apart from the distance of the kick you don't gain much of an advantage.

In Fifa, the accuracy of the pass is largely determined by the skill of the player being controlled and an RGN component, with power also a factor. And your focus when attacking is largely trying to find a route to goal, rather than worrying about executing the easy uncontested sideways pass accurately. Feel like this feature could be implemented in AFL, where hitting your short targets is fairly routine but hitting a decent target or a "through ball" type play takes skill and timing.

Obviously AFL is a very hard game to programme, but I think an attitudinal shift away from what AFL games have historically been in terms of mechanics could be what AFL games need to refresh the template. I have a lot of mates who love a game of FIFA, but have never enjoyed AFL games (even Live 1 which was the closest mechanically). I know FIFA can never be matched on scale, but in terms of raw gameplay mechanics a lot of it could be copied over, particularly around cleanliness and ease of pick up and play.

In short - if you pick up a controller to play FIFA having never played, you are able to pass and hit targets fairly easily. In AFL games this hasn't been the case. If this were changed and the focus shifted to strategically picking apart defences rather than mechanically being stressed about whether you can hit that 20m target or whether the kick will go out in front of the player or the player will turn and lead in the opposite direction midway, the series will be in a much better place. I wouldn't worry about marking contests which are done well enough or tackling or the rest - I think the easy of transition and the level of thought needed when attacking are what's been lacking in these games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back