Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
I hate it that you can’t move in the goal square after a point when your kicking out. You can only stand there and as soon as you move it’s called play on. Would love big ant to fix this.
That was a Wicked Witch problem, you couldn't even peel off the marks in their games, whereas in Big Ant's Live 1 you could peel off marks.

There should be a way to control hand ball power. Too many times have I wanted a small hand pass in Live 1, and the player overhits it. Or, when I wanted a long hand pass to someone, but can't hand ball that far, when in reality players can hand ball further.

There should be a way to control hand ball power. Too many times have I wanted a small hand pass in Live 1, and the player overhits it. Or, when I wanted a long hand pass to someone, but can't hand ball that far, when in reality players can hand ball further.

If they're not going with face button symbols above player's heads, it should be context sensitive.

The game should be smart enough to know you're aiming for player X and handbell appropriately. Simple passing should be intuitive and flow well.

Two of the biggest things crowd wise I would love to see are:
Changing attendance: Hated playing what would be meaningless games (State league at a big ground) infront of a sellout crowd. Give us the option to change from Suburban, to State, and National. Just something that would really make atmosphere in the game that little bit better. Maybe even have the crowd get smaller and smaller if the home team is losing late in the game.
Riding the bumps: One thing that Live 1 did well with was the crowd noise rising as play moved forward. Bring that back, as well as the rousing applause around the ground when you pin someone holding the ball. Damn that sh*t was satisfying to hear in Live 1.

Really looking forward to the customisation tools too, unlimited possibilities with stadiums has me excited for the games release.

Their Cricket games have this. The crowd even changes during the game (less of a thing during AFL)

BigAntStudios any chance we can start a little ‘Friday Feature’ and you drip feed us some info? 😉🙏🏼
Lion King Please GIF

The idea that there is even an argument to be had that a first gen PS3 game may, or may not, be better than a fifth generation PS4 game tells you the story of AFL games to date.

Our bar for this game is not PS3 AFL Live, or any of the games that came after. As was shown at the GF, in a very early pre-release snippet, we are way past that.

Edit, PS: BT over my dead body, never, ever, again.

I think a passing system similar to the madden games would work well. It could be that you hold LB and A,B,X,Y icons appear above players and you would select one to handball to that player, while holding RB and selecting A,B,X,Y would kick to that player. You could add more depth to it by tapping the button would pass the ball out in front of the player, while holding the button would pass it over the top of the player for them to run onto. It would also separate the aiming and movement controls and the need to power up any kicks which I think made it difficult to have any control over ball movement in previous games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a passing system similar to the madden games would work well. It could be that you hold LB and A,B,X,Y icons appear above players and you would select one to handball to that player, while holding RB and selecting A,B,X,Y would kick to that player. You could add more depth to it by tapping the button would pass the ball out in front of the player, while holding the button would pass it over the top of the player for them to run onto. It would also separate the aiming and movement controls and the need to power up any kicks which I think made it difficult to have any control over ball movement in previous games.
game_chromosome was working on something like that for his footy game. I think something like the new eFootball arrow/pointer along with the power meter would be sufficient, though.

The idea that there is even an argument to be had that a first gen PS3 game may, or may not, be better than a fifth generation PS4 game tells you the story of AFL games to date.

Our bar for this game is not PS3 AFL Live, or any of the games that came after. As was shown at the GF, in a very early pre-release snippet, we are way past that.

Love the swagger, hope the finished product justifies it.

What I wanna know is if we're going to get more state league grounds, wouldn't mind something like Fremantle Oval being added for Perth or just any ground, having all the WAFL games at Optus in Evo 2 sucks.

Even places like Punt Road and Victoria Park would be good.

With the academy in the game, Most grounds will get created and updated to the game for you to download. The beauty of big ants academy

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Edit, PS: BT over my dead body, never, ever, again.
To this day, I quite literally get a headache when I think about where the WW/TB combination took AFL gaming.

There’s a long list of baffling things they attempted with this series, but to continually have one of their main focuses as ‘to be to as good as Live 1’ is downright ridiculous. Talk about looking way back in your rear vision mirror…

It’s bloody pleasing to read you’re setting a bar that’s way higher than any AFL game before. Agree, the early snippets we’ve been shown look like they’ll easily eclipse anything from the past.

Side note - how good is it seeing BigFooty AFL gaming up and about again! The good old days of waking up to see a couple of pages of posting to read, can’t wait for the ride!

Can’t wait for this game! It would make the game look so much more realistic if we could have coaches (on the bench and in the boxes) and a shot of the coaches after the other team scores a goal. Just the little things that will go a long way.

Last edited:
Can’t wait for this game! It would make the game look so much more realistic if we could have coaches (on the bench and in the boxes) and a shoot of the coaches after the other team scores a goal. Just the little things that will go a long way.

also ferals in the crowd giving the bird and abusing their own teams whipping boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back