List Mgmt. CONFIRMED - Gary Rohan a Cat for pick 61

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah we’ll be right.

* Hawkins will kick 70 goals next year
* Dahlhaus who kicked 1 goal in 2018 will play all games next year and kick 35
* Rohan will average 7 tackles and 1.5 goals a game.
* Dangerfield will improve his goal kicking and kick 50
* Gaz, at 35 will move to a permanent forward and be like his dad.
* We will average 140pts a game next year.

The bolded certainly isn't out of the question.

ShaunWDT

Premiership Player
Nov 18, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Would be interested in the percentage of time up forward and down back in 2016/17 with him, almost positive they moved him around massively over those years, could easily kick 30 plus settled as a forward.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Great point. Menzel has his issues but, when fit, has played plenty of great footy for us. He is not our problem, but is a soft target and seems to be being scape-goated by the coaching staff.

Because Menzel is one knee reconstruction away from retirement, whereas other than the broken leg he suffered, Rohan gets less injured and played more games a season in a better team.

Also, I'm interested to see if Rohan lays a tackle, because, if he does, it is one more tackle than Menzel ever does.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Rohan is one minor accident from the end of his career. Do you not know his history? On top of that Rohan may actually already be at the end of his career. There is a very high chance he might not be good enough to get in our team just like sam blease. Menzel has a far far higher probability of being a contributor then rohan over the next two years. Menzel hasnt done a knee in 5 years. Its ridiculous to still hang that over his head compared to rohan.

I hope Rohan proves you wrong.

I know that you hope he doesn't.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Has kicked twice as many goals from half the games - I know which one I’d prefer to have on the list. Can we get rid of our coach yet, it’s not menzel who has been holding us back.

(Edit: not having a crack at you by the way pollywaffle, and I do wish Gary Rohan all the best go for it son!)

No, except in 2012, 2013, 2014 etc when he didn't play one senior game.

I suppose you are happy with Menz not tackling either.

I never heard such love for Menzel when he was actually on our list. Now we delist him, you act like he is a star of Gaz snr or Polly Farmer proportions.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
If this is the case the we've gained little. In fact, we've probably lost.

Attitude is crucial, so we don't need / want a reluctant recruit

I don't think he is reluctant.

Sydney told him that he should look at other clubs, and he was probably upset about that, as any player would be.

He probably picked Geelong because he is from near there.

His attitude might be about being let go from Sydney.

People here want to think the worst of Rohan, and I think some of you want him to fail, because saying "I told you so" is more important than him succeeding and making our club better.

I don't get all the hate for Rohan TBH.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree...But...unless we know how much of our salary cap he is taking up the trade cannot be properly evaluated.

It is why most trade analysis on this site is BS. Until we get complete transparency on salary cap numbers (which will never happen, neither the players or the clubs want this) we will never be able to do any really meaningful trade analysis.

Funny how fans will use "how much salary cap room is he taking" when they feel someone is being overpaid, yet never call for a player who overachieves to be paid more.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Moving on Menzel and Thurlow. And getting Rohan. Makes sense. :rolleyes:

Yeah, moving on a player who doesn't tackle and has had FOUR knee reconstructions and a player who was a highly-touted young defender who failed to make the grade and getting a goalkicking machine from a good club for a low pick, doesn't make any sense, does it? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
seems to be GFC recruiting policy :p

actually it would be interesting to know how many, if any, we have quietly said no thank you to in recent years. I'm talking 'come home to Geelong' players instead of guys like Deledio.

If a good player wants to come to your club, why would you refuse him?

Hey, there were people here who didn't want Ablett coming back home to us.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't think he is reluctant.

Sydney told him that he should look at other clubs, and he was probably upset about that, as any player would be.

He probably picked Geelong because he is from near there.

His attitude might be about being let go from Sydney.

People here want to think the worst of Rohan, and I think some of you want him to fail, because saying "I told you so" is more important than him succeeding and making our club better.

I don't get all the hate for Rohan TBH.

Agreed.

It was early days when I posted that, before the reason for his attitude became clearer.

Think Gazza will fit in nicely for you guys. Despite his pure stats not being huge in numbers, his strength really is in his off the ball stuff. He's a high pressure/energy player. Lots of speedy bursts to break up defensive structures or unsettle the ball carrier etc. He seems to have a pretty smart footy brain & often gets to the right spots defensively & offensively (albeit mostly unrewarded as we'll just bomb long to an outnumbered Buddy anyway... sigh).

But a brilliant teammate IMO. Sacrifices his game for the greater good. Can tackle like a beast. Is the best man on the mark I've seen. Will be sorely missed by me & I hope he makes it all click for you guys. He deserves some individual recognition for once & a chance to shine. I think, given the right conditions, he'll surprise most & smash it.

Think Gazza will fit in nicely for you guys. Despite his pure stats not being huge in numbers, his strength really is in his off the ball stuff. He's a high pressure/energy player. Lots of speedy bursts to break up defensive structures or unsettle the ball carrier etc. He seems to have a pretty smart footy brain & often gets to the right spots defensively & offensively (albeit mostly unrewarded as we'll just bomb long to an outnumbered Buddy anyway... sigh).

But a brilliant teammate IMO. Sacrifices his game for the greater good. Can tackle like a beast. Is the best man on the mark I've seen. Will be sorely missed by me & I hope he makes it all click for you guys. He deserves some individual recognition for once & a chance to shine. I think, given the right conditions, he'll surprise most & smash it.
I like to be 1/2 full and want to believe this to be accurate.

His numbers don’t read well however 7 years up there - which I’m happy to pass over provided the team benefits from his self sacrifice. Jed Bews for us consistently gets under 14 touches a game.. but as a small defender never lets his opponent off the chain either so the concept is one I can embrace.

I ain’t seen it yet from an admittedly sparse viewing of his games but will take your assesssment on face value and hope for the best.

Go Catters

I like to be 1/2 full and want to believe this to be accurate.

His numbers don’t read well however 7 years up there - which I’m happy to pass over provided the team benefits from his self sacrifice. Jed Bews for us consistently gets under 14 touches a game.. but as a small defender never lets his opponent off the chain either so the concept is one I can embrace.

I ain’t seen it yet from an admittedly sparse viewing of his games but will take your assesssment on face value and hope for the best.

Go Catters
For sure mate. This is where I hope Scott gives him some additional ability to maybe rack up some more numbers. Yes he is a great defensive/pressure option... but I'd love to see him more with ball in hand. I think he has the ability to break lines & create... Getting fed by one of the leagues best midfields (Danger/Gab/Jelwood/Scooter/Dunks... sheesh!!) could surely be a possibility right (*fingers crossed*)?!

Either way, I wish him the best (& think he will lift). Glad he ended up at the Cats. Brilliantly run club & one I have the uptmost respect.

And you’ll do more than fine with Menz and Thurlow. I have a feeling Thurlow will surprise and impress up three. Bloke can play and play well.
Go Catters

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory

We’ve bern doing same for years. But I must say one team that I’ve always been jealous of is sydney with their ability to run to fifty and lob the ball onto the Toyota logo for goal.

I sit wondering as we try to hit up a triple teamed hawk why we don’t do same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
And you’ll do more than fine with Menz and Thurlow. I have a feeling Thurlow will surprise and impress up three. Bloke can play and play well.
Go Catters

Thurlow will struggle to play 10 games for the swans, one of the most overrated players on this board, has no stand out skill, no real pace.
Rarely takes an overhead mark and continues to get beaten in 1v1’s

Good ridence

Thurlow will struggle to play 10 games for the swans, one of the most overrated players on this board, has no stand out skill, no real pace.
Rarely takes an overhead mark and continues to get beaten in 1v1’s

Good ridence
He's far too soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back