Mar 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Re: From Twitter: Gold Coast Suns

hope it's only rumour, because that's a horrible name

i was hoping for marlins, stingrays or sharks

power and dockers are bad enough

edit: why isn't it (.com.au)? it only has (.com)

They have registered both which is common practice when its available.

Lock it in. Gold Coast Suns.

Would have preferred the Sharks but I think that wasnt an option because of Southport? Is that correct?

Mac Ropod

Senior List
May 27, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne

17th AFL team reveals new name:

Gold Coast Suns of Beaches

RPNT

Rookie
Dec 17, 2008
Up North
AFL Club
Hawthorn

As a big follower of AFL History, I am really interested in the GC nickname announcement on July 22.

Reckon Gold Coast Suns is absolute rubbish. I seriously hope that is NOT true. The same goes for Marlins and Stingrays, bloody useless.

Gold Coast Sharks is so perfect for GC17, it is ridiculous they would consider anything else. Aggressive and Iconic.

My fingers are firmly crossed that a last minute compromise can be made between the AFL and the Southport Sharks to allow GC17 the nickname that everybody seems to want.

FWIW, Southport should recognise the significant investment that is being made by the AFL into Australian Rules football in their backyard, and the benefits (junior participation, national exposure etc) GC17 will bring to the QAFL.

Nobody outside of Southport gives a stuff about their nickname...

longytap

Team Captain
Feb 5, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Essendon

How can they be suns if the Townsville suns (NBL) already got into trouble over it? whats changed?:confused:

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest as Gold Coast Suns is a terrible name...
I agree. I hope the rumour isn't true - but fear it is.

...Of course i'm a big fan of the Gold Coast Olympians as there is no better name for a side that is competing for fans against the Gold Coast Titans.
Good call - I posted this suggestion about a year ago, but with no support.

For those not totally brushed up on Greek mythology, the younger gods, or Olympians, led by the thunderbolt thrower, Zeus (the Roman equivalent was Jupiter) totally crushed the elder gods, or the Titans, led by Cronos, and banished them into a cavity below Tartarus, a deep sunless abyss, as far below Hades as earth is below heaven.

Fairtex

All Australian
Feb 2, 2010
MCG
AFL Club
Melbourne

I agree. I hope the rumour isn't true - but fear it is.

Good call - I posted this suggestion about a year ago, but with no support.

For those not totally brushed up on Greek mythology, the younger gods, or Olympians, led by the thunderbolt thrower, Zeus (the Roman equivalent was Jupiter) totally crushed the elder gods, or the Titans, led by Cronos, and banished them into a cavity below Tartarus, a deep sunless abyss, as far below Hades as earth is below heaven.

Pretty much all the teams have simple names, except power. My advice to GC is keep it simple, as long as the name sounds half decent there doesn't need to be allot of reasoning behind it... just make the name simple but effective...

.Cats
.Tigers
.Lions
.Bulldogs
.Demons
.Crows
etc..

None of those names are relevant to the history or culture of their areas..but the names are still simple but good.... what about the "rhinos"?

May 23, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SwansCrowsPortFreoGCGWS

A real bulldog was featured on the ground at some Footscray home game in the past, so when monikers became fashionable, they grabbed that.

A cat was released in the centre of Kardinya Park at start of one game.

I think theres a pretty strong association with SA and crow-eating.
If you're looking for a moniker for West Coast name, then a bird of prey on the Nullabor - the Wedge Tail Eagle fits the West Coast Eagles.

I like your WS Rhinos suggestion tho, as part of GWS zone is Dubbo? :D

CoastBhoy

Premiership Player
Jul 26, 2001
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa
CONFIRMED

Suns to shine on Gold Coast Football Club
Nick Smart | July 15th, 2010

THE Gold Coast Football Club will be known as the Suns.

Senior figures at league headquarters in Melbourne last night confirmed the new moniker for the club that enters the AFL competition next year.

The club previously opted to not go with a nickname and will still be known as the Gold Coast Football Club. Its bold GC logo will remain, albeit with a sun, believed to be rising behind it.

The Gold Coast is a very powerful brand in itself and the club still plans to tap in to that broad appeal.

GCFC boss Travis Auld would neither confirm nor deny the speculation but said the search for a nickname for the club had been lengthy.

"There have certainly been a lot of names thrown around and that (the Suns) has been one of them," he said.

Have your say on the feedback form below
"There are certainly legalities associated with choosing a name and that part is a rigorous process in terms of finding out what is available.

"It has been an exciting, fun process ... but we can only have one name.

"We have had a lot of great feedback and I think we have been able to encapsulate what people are looking for."

There have been concerns about whether Suns, which is trademarked to Phoenix NBA team, could be used.

If an agreement was not reached, the club strongly considered going with 'Sons' in a bid to sidestep the problem.

The Suns is the former name of the Townsville NBL basketball team, which in 1998 changed its name to the Crocodiles after a dispute with the Phoenix franchise.

But the GCFC play a different sport as well as being in a different country.

Yesterday, it was revealed the AFL had registered domain name goldcoastsuns.com.au

Jun 12, 2009
red & black hills
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Big V
CONFIRMED

Suns to shine on Gold Coast Football Club
Nick Smart | July 15th, 2010

THE Gold Coast Football Club will be known as the Suns.

Senior figures at league headquarters in Melbourne last night confirmed the new moniker for the club that enters the AFL competition next year.

The club previously opted to not go with a nickname and will still be known as the Gold Coast Football Club. Its bold GC logo will remain, albeit with a sun, believed to be rising behind it.

The Gold Coast is a very powerful brand in itself and the club still plans to tap in to that broad appeal.

GCFC boss Travis Auld would neither confirm nor deny the speculation but said the search for a nickname for the club had been lengthy.

"There have certainly been a lot of names thrown around and that (the Suns) has been one of them," he said.

Have your say on the feedback form below
"There are certainly legalities associated with choosing a name and that part is a rigorous process in terms of finding out what is available.

"It has been an exciting, fun process ... but we can only have one name.

"We have had a lot of great feedback and I think we have been able to encapsulate what people are looking for."

There have been concerns about whether Suns, which is trademarked to Phoenix NBA team, could be used.

If an agreement was not reached, the club strongly considered going with 'Sons' in a bid to sidestep the problem.

The Suns is the former name of the Townsville NBL basketball team, which in 1998 changed its name to the Crocodiles after a dispute with the Phoenix franchise.

But the GCFC play a different sport as well as being in a different country.

Yesterday, it was revealed the AFL had registered domain name goldcoastsuns.com.au

Different sport is right, as pointed out in another article in the AGE, there are plenty of Tigers and Eagles around the world.

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pathetic end to a pathetic saga.

The public spoke, the club ignored them, and went for an unoriginal uninspiring plastic moniker to go with their plastic franchise.

I'm out. I have to work out how to get off their mailing list now.

JADED

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 29, 2005
SA
AFL Club
West Coast

Exactly. Dummy spit over a name.
It was never going to suit all as everyone liked something different.
I thought dockers was a terrible choice when that came in and that Freo should have gone with sharks.

It will all be repeated with GWS.

There will likely be uproar if a Tassie team comes in & they don't take "devils" as their mascot/logo.

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm sorry you disagree with my opinion, but I don't see how I'm being immature.

I was excited by this club in the early days, when I was living in the area (and wouldn't mind moving back one day TBH if the future played out that way). I was one of the first to sign up to their petitions and have followed the clubs development with interest.

They have ****ed up big time with this IMO. I have told 3 people of this, and their responses have been:

* An ex carlton supporter who has jumped on board the CG. Looked pained and asked why.

* An ex-QLDer who sneered.

* A Victorian who like sport (mainly Basketball) who reckons its a big cop out.

Anyone following this knows that the club is lieing when they say that there was no clear favourite in their community consultation with their mascots. The Internet poll showed a clear win to the Marlins with he stingrays second and daylight for the rest. The crowd responses at the Cararra games netted a similar response, with jeers and booing for the left-of-centre ideas like "iron-men" and "guards". Granted, Suns wasn't an option for any of these, but there were clear favourites. People wanted sharks, marlins, stingrays... a marine animal. They didn;t want the new age crap. Its clear the club had an agenda all along.

They wanted guards. It wasn't popular so they decided to go with nothing. Then when that proved just as unpopular, they pulled the Suns from god knows where.

I have no doubt that Suns will have an audience. I imagine it will be popular amongst young people, and bandwagoners who are easily distracted. And there is a fair slab of people who will follow the club and not give a s**t about the mascot.

And you are never going to find a name which everyone likes. You are goign to have people dissapointed no matter what you go with. But with this decision they have alienated as many alienatable people as possible.

At not stage did this club care about community opinion.

Pathetic.

Back