Rumour CONFIRMED- Gold Coast Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sorry you disagree with my opinion, but I don't see how I'm being immature.

I was excited by this club in the early days, when I was living in the area (and wouldn't mind moving back one day TBH if the future played out that way). I was one of the first to sign up to their petitions and have followed the clubs development with interest.

They have ****ed up big time with this IMO. I have told 3 people of this, and their responses have been:

* An ex carlton supporter who has jumped on board the CG. Looked pained and asked why.

* An ex-QLDer who sneered.

* A Victorian who like sport (mainly Basketball) who reckons its a big cop out.

Anyone following this knows that the club is lieing when they say that there was no clear favourite in their community consultation with their mascots. The Internet poll showed a clear win to the Marlins with he stingrays second and daylight for the rest. The crowd responses at the Cararra games netted a similar response, with jeers and booing for the left-of-centre ideas like "iron-men" and "guards". Granted, Suns wasn't an option for any of these, but there were clear favourites. People wanted sharks, marlins, stingrays... a marine animal. They didn;t want the new age crap. Its clear the club had an agenda all along.

They wanted guards. It wasn't popular so they decided to go with nothing. Then when that proved just as unpopular, they pulled the Suns from god knows where.

I have no doubt that Suns will have an audience. I imagine it will be popular amongst young people, and bandwagoners who are easily distracted. And there is a fair slab of people who will follow the club and not give a s**t about the mascot.

And you are never going to find a name which everyone likes. You are goign to have people dissapointed no matter what you go with. But with this decision they have alienated as many alienatable people as possible.

At not stage did this club care about community opinion.

Pathetic.

Their only major mistake was trying to claim that they were going to be a local minded, grass-roots club that the community would help shape and build.

If they had no intention of being responsive to local feedback, they shouldn't have pretended they were. All you do is end up stepping on toes.

You are probably overreacting a tad though TBH, can't see how it would be a dealbreaker for someone supporting them or not.

Even if they went with the most popular name, they were still going to disappoint the rest. Can't win them all.

Like all brands, after the initial warming period, the name just becomes synonimous with the product and you don't focus on its meaning. I remember the huge backlash when Nintendo announced the name Wii. Nearly every media commentator said it would be the end of them. Now it's one of the most iconic and successful brand names in the world.

I think a few people on this thread are being a bit precious. The name doesn't really matter, it's just a single syllable word to yell out at games. Pies, Blues, Suns...

tbh it's a little childish to not support them because you were hoping for a marine animal as a mascot. I understand if you're 10 years old though.

I think a few people on this thread are being a bit precious. The name doesn't really matter, it's just a single syllable word to yell out at games. Pies, Blues, Suns...

tbh it's a little childish to not support them because you were hoping for a marine animal as a mascot. I understand if you're 10 years old though.

Yeak Ok if your 10. :D

Gold Coast doesn't have an obvious abbreviation like Freo / Fremantle, so it does make sense. Don't mind the name, it has a higher chance of sticking than Dockers :)

Love it. If the jersey stays the same with just a csun rising behing the current GC and ball then it will be cool.

I'm sorry you disagree with my opinion, but I don't see how I'm being immature.

I was excited by this club in the early days, when I was living in the area (and wouldn't mind moving back one day TBH if the future played out that way). I was one of the first to sign up to their petitions and have followed the clubs development with interest.

They have ****ed up big time with this IMO. I have told 3 people of this, and their responses have been:

* An ex carlton supporter who has jumped on board the CG. Looked pained and asked why.

* An ex-QLDer who sneered.

* A Victorian who like sport (mainly Basketball) who reckons its a big cop out.

Anyone following this knows that the club is lieing when they say that there was no clear favourite in their community consultation with their mascots. The Internet poll showed a clear win to the Marlins with he stingrays second and daylight for the rest. The crowd responses at the Cararra games netted a similar response, with jeers and booing for the left-of-centre ideas like "iron-men" and "guards". Granted, Suns wasn't an option for any of these, but there were clear favourites. People wanted sharks, marlins, stingrays... a marine animal. They didn;t want the new age crap. Its clear the club had an agenda all along.

They wanted guards. It wasn't popular so they decided to go with nothing. Then when that proved just as unpopular, they pulled the Suns from god knows where.

I have no doubt that Suns will have an audience. I imagine it will be popular amongst young people, and bandwagoners who are easily distracted. And there is a fair slab of people who will follow the club and not give a s**t about the mascot.

And you are never going to find a name which everyone likes. You are goign to have people dissapointed no matter what you go with. But with this decision they have alienated as many alienatable people as possible.

At not stage did this club care about community opinion.

Pathetic.

Tho people are up in arms over this post, I think Fire is on the mark. The gist of what he's pointing out.

Personally, I detest the name they chose (Suns). And I am sure I will detest their guernsey design too. And even tho the GCFC is an AFL production, it's who I'll be supporting in the AFL. (And Tassie when they enter).

However, I still agree with Fire's post.

Tho people are up in arms over this post, I think Fire is on the mark. The gist of what he's pointing out.

Personally, I detest the name they chose (Suns). And I am sure I will detest their guernsey design too. And even tho the GCFC is an AFL production, it's who I'll be supporting in the AFL. (And Tassie when they enter).

However, I still agree with Fire's post.

Love your passion GG. I don't in anyway agree with you, but I respect that passion!

FWIW I'm really pleased with the Suns. It's not American sounding IMO; it's VERY representative of the Gold Coast; it flows; it has broad appeal; it's marketable; it has a great double meaning and it's great for journo's.

Love it!

Suns makes sense in regional terms, and in that sense i understand. But it's not about being american sounding or not, just suns per se is a very lame name. Even the Phoenix team. Just think about it as a nickname.....18 'suns' running around out there. It actually would've been better if it was Sons instead, but not a sidestep where they're still using a rising sun and sun rays as a theme, but as a literal "sons of the gold coast region/people"....that would've been unique. Tho people would call us Sons of Bitches then.

In all honesty....names like Marlins, Dolphins, Sharks, Pirates would've been a lot better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suns makes sense in regional terms, and in that sense i understand. But it's not about being american sounding or not, just suns per se is a very lame name. Even the Phoenix team. Just think about it as a nickname.....18 'suns' running around out there. It actually would've been better if it was Sons instead, but not a sidestep where they're still using a rising sun and sun rays as a theme, but as a literal "sons of the gold coast region/people"....that would've been unique. Tho people would call us Sons of Bitches then.

In all honesty....names like Marlins, Dolphins, Sharks, Pirates would've been a lot better.

The bolded part is where we differ. You can't deny that the Sun has been worshipped since time began. Also the Sun represents us! We are made from the dust and debris of our star...the Sun. That is a fact.

The fact that there's going to be 22 little STARS running around just makes it all the more pertinent.

Cracking name.

GO THE SUNS!

Of course there are people who will take that pov, and use those points to choose to like it and argue why it's good. It's a preference thing. Not saying those who like it shouldn't like it! Not at all. The name isn't unapplicable, I understand the connotations. Just personally don't like it at all.

Also...the points Fire made in his post are still valid. He touched on a range of areas like the selection process, that merit debate.

Are you saying in your opinion Suns is a home-run?
To me it's a fly ball to center field with runners on first, second and third.

Nup, not a huge fan of Suns either.

But the suggesions you seem attached to are so uninspired they hurt.

:p

I never got the whole obsession with a nautical themed mascot. The Titans didn't need one.

It paints the Gold Coast as a place that is still struggling to forge its own identity beyond the fact that it is geographically located near where dirt meets water.

Well, it's very pony-tailed marketing to brainstorm...."ok, we have a region, what's synonymous with this region, beaches, sun, surf, lifeguards....so how about----{insert: guards, suns, dolphins, sharks, marlins, etc}?"

And it's even worse when they come up with names like Power, Spirit, Pride, Passion, etc as suggestions...."GWS Spirit, you know, the whole spirit of the greater west getting together to support a team/code most of them dont care about...they'll love it, and rally behind it."

knew the lamest option would be chosen........stingrays marlins or sharks are 1000 times better.....just my opinion though. those names would have been a better way to attract gold coast kids to support the club.

Not a big fan of it personally, but seeing as the GC is about as far east as you can go in Australia and they, technically, see the sun before anyone else in Australia, it sort of makes sense. I would've liked Marlins.

Yeah I think they've dropped the ball on this one. I'm not sure why they've ignored Marlins or Stingrays, because I'm pretty sure that someone from the club confirmed that it would be a "sea predator" in a media conference a couple of months back. But hey at least its not that freakin lifeguard! :thumbsu:

Choosing the wrong nickname seems to be a pattern with the expansion clubs. Freo got some marketing agency to make up Dockers, which they can't even use anymore because Levi owns the name (Dockers are a pair of pants if my Seinfeld knowledge serves me correctly!). Port initially considered Sharks and Pirates but went with Power because they didn't want to replace the Magpie with another "thing". I think this was a mistake when considering that either name (esp. Sharks) would've been infinitely more popular than Power, especially with the kids.

Both choices were just too fancy when a nickname by definition is meant to be something simple.

gold coast sharks is just a match made in heaven. no one else in australia cares about the southport sharks. if it is indeed suns, then that's just disappointing. having to watch a team wearing a sun on their guernsey dead set sucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back