Rumour CONFIRMED- Gold Coast Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Heh yeah GG, when I read that "sons" option to sidestep any potential legal issue... well... Lets hope you aren;t right on that one.

But there is still some hope yet it would seem.

TBH I was thinking that the CG might have falsely leaked a name deliberately in order to drum up some publicity to this announcement, and then when they make a 'shock' announcement to the contrary, it would generate even more publicity.

People love a good leak and speculation and controversy. Much more than a dry confirmed fact mentioned in a press conference.

Would be marketing genious really, they are getting several weeks worth of publicity at a higher level.

However, while this thought did cross my mind, I didn't dare to hope.

If it is I'll have to retract everything I wrote.

And for those who were saying that expressing disapproval and frustration at a name... think about why anorexia is such a problem in society. And why people will pay three times more for a product with an apple or a nike swoosh on it. Or why soccer mums lather themselves in expensive makeup and drive 4WD's and shop down toorak road. Or why politicians talk about working families while they try and furnish TV's that are twice as big as thier lounge room.

Image is important. In fact, as superficial as it might seem, it is the only thing subjective creatures like ourselves can base everything in the universe on.

AFL and Genious don't mix, unfortunately. I think they just went in as they always seem to do, thinking it's a winner, and then will extricate themselves if/when things blow up.

With this update today, the 'confirmation' yesterday, the 'sea predator' statement by the GC official, and then going back further with the whole Gazza thing, and the continual snobbing by the GCFC of fan polls that have Sharks/Marlins....it all validates what Fire posted the other day...the whole selection process has been a shemozzle.

Thank **** for that!
Tho, let me guess what the shortlist is...

Suns, Sons, Sunns...or maybe Csuns, Czuns, etc.

I was watching the gold coast news the other day and they mention a short list has been made. Which include Suns, Stars, Surf and Stingrays.

Of those four i hope it is the stingrays.

Those names are terrible. Just do a name merger with the Southport Sharks to get the Shark name.

Out of the crappy shortlist, Stingrays is fair by the best.

They couldn't legally use the name Sharks, please realize this people.

If Gold Coast go with the Suns (which I'm sure they will) everyone will get use to it almost overnight. There's so many weird sport team names (Storm, Blues, Power, Titans) that it's not like the Suns is any stranger and will really stand out.

Besides, if you really think the name is s#$%, then good, they deserve it after all their draft concessions.

Gold Coast Guards would've been a great name. The alliteration makes it sound fantastic.

Suns is very lacklustre and uninspired though. Hopefully that doesn't rub off to the playing group.

I was watching the gold coast news the other day and they mention a short list has been made. Which include Suns, Stars, Surf and Stingrays.

Of those four i hope it is the stingrays.

May (insert your deity here) have mercy on their souls if they choose Surf!!!!

I was just reading an article about the Suns rumour and the journo pointed out that it also fits with the clubs current slogan which is "Rise Up". Coincidence, or something more sinister?! ;)

I'm not sure how they'll get away with using the name however because the LA Lakers were able to stop South Melbourne using the "Lakers" name (in soccer), so the whole "different country, different sport" argument doesn't seem to be relevant.

So if the Phoenix Suns bring the lawyers in I propose that they change their name to the "Gold Coast Phoenix" and stick it up them!!! :thumbsu::D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I already thought of that a few weeks ago and did a guernsey design here ...

phoenixconcept.png
phoenixconceptdaye.png

I love the top one GG with the two shades of red, its got a real tribal look to it. It's not traditional but for some reason it works. Perfect for the post-law suit name change! ;):thumbsu:

If it true, then it could be construed as a shameless grab at the Japanese market as well. GC Konichiwas. Wouldn't be too hard to modify the GC logo to look like a round sun. GC would be a feature team to take to Nippon.:footy:

I'm not liking it, but from a marketing sense I guess that most Vics go to GC for the.....sun

as for the Suns being the stars, we can only hope. :footy:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back