*CONFIRMED* Grand Final 2018 @ 2:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t see how moving the game allows more people to watch. People work on Saturday nights as much as they do on Saturday afternoons.
I disagree completely with that and think you are being deliberately disingenuous. Weekend workers are typically in service industries. Retail and tourism (largely day hours) is a larger industry than hospitality (split day and night). More people would be able to watch a twilight game than an afternoon game.

For me these are 8th order issues compared to the complete bullshit that still has only 30k seats for members of the two competing clubs.

It’s better than it used to be (since 2012) but is still the worst issue by that far its not funny

I disagree completely with that and think you are being deliberately disingenuous. Weekend workers are typically in service industries. Retail and tourism (largely day hours) is a larger industry than hospitality (split day and night). More people would be able to watch a twilight game than an afternoon game.
Have you got the figures? I’m almost certain Saturday twilight TV numbers would be equivalent to or lower than Saturday day TV numbers on Foxfooty. It’s an absolute dead time. Saturday day figures are lowered by things such as local Footy (there is none on GF day), and trades still operating on Saturdays (GF Day is usually on a no work weekend).
People are going to miss out on watching the GF no matter when you hold it. There would be no significant change in TV audience.

Have you got the figures? I’m almost certain Saturday twilight TV numbers would be equivalent to or lower than Saturday day TV numbers on Foxfooty. It’s an absolute dead time. Saturday day figures are lowered by things such as local Footy (there is none on GF day), and trades still operating on Saturdays (GF Day is usually on a no work weekend).
People are going to miss out on watching the GF no matter when you hold it. There would be no significant change in TV audience.
You continue to focus on Victoria.

Local sports continue all around Australia on Saturday afternoon, tradies all over the country are working.

So yeah, back in the early 1900s when it was all about being there live in daylight, they settled on an afternoon GF it was the best option.

Now it is a national game, and daylight isn’t relevant.

how will AFL get extra $ from a twilight or night GF this year or the next 5?
the rights contract (and $) are already agreed on.
Channel 7 may get extra $ (as they could sell advertising during the game at higher rates than currently), but that's channel 7's money.

Gil has probably already pocketed the money in an unwritten agreement with Channel 7 and the overwhelming majority who want an afternoon GF can go hang.

What about country folk and kids? This will no doubt eventually move to a night grand final. How many kids are staying up to watch that?

What about country folk?

Don't see anybody going "Oh no my kids can't watch" when the fixture comes out. Indeed, people get actively pissy if their club doesn't get enough night games.

What about country folk?

Don't see anybody going "Oh no my kids can't watch" when the fixture comes out. Indeed, people get actively pissy if their club doesn't get enough night games.
Last year the game finished at 5.12pm. By the time the presentation and lap finished was around 6ish. Then the after party where the players are presented to the crowd runs to about 7.40pm. That’s 2 and a half hrs after the game has finished. Great time to then go out for dinner or go to some bars to celebrate or commiserate the result. You change that to a night game and by the time the after party finishes if they even keep it is well after midnight. Will change the whole feel of the day/night to the detriment of the fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year the game finished at 5.12pm. By the time the presentation and lap finished was around 6ish. Then the after party where the players are presented to the crowd runs to about 7.40pm. That’s 2 and a half hrs after the game has finished. Great time to then go out for dinner or go to some bars to celebrate or commiserate the result. You change that to a night game and by the time the after party finishes if they even keep it is well after midnight. Will change the whole feel of the day/night to the detriment of the fans.
Start the game at 7pm...it's all over by 9.30pm Celebrations and party on at the G until midnight!

Always loved the AFL grand final time to be honest. Plenty of time to have a few beers, BBQ up a lunch then the game kicks off after you've eaten, perfect timing. You settle in for the game after lunch and the party leads on into the night after the game. But then again there is no money to be made from a bunch of ppl sitting around enjoying a BBQ and making a social event of it.

Yep, perfect day as it is.

Your house analogy...Would you continue to use 1930s materials and methods, because they did the job well enough back then when that was all that was available....the ‘traditional’ methods?

Or would you research all the materials and building methods that are available in the 2010s and make a choice based on what is most suitable now?

What's wrong with asbestos? :)

Maybe the daytime Grand Final does tick more boxes than a night Grand Final.
I can't see how and clearly, neither can the AFL as common sense and commercial imperatives wouldn't allow you to 'trial' things for the fun of it.

What we've mostly seen here are subjective arguments and arguments for tradition above other considerations.
We will end up with a night Grand Final and if somehow the landscape of football changes sometime in the future and going back to a day Grand Final becomes the better option, than that's what we'll have to do then.

Let's not be afraid for change when all (Ok, most) the pointers are positive.

The losing fans leave immediately and the winning fans will be celebrating for many hours. And as someone said earlier in the thread, it's not the Melbourne Football League.

Start it at 6pm, no other games start at 2:30 now so a unique timeslot isn’t an issue.

People at home can still do the ‘traditional‘ arvo BBQ, but instead of lunch it is dinner and instead of a half time kick to kick it is a re game kick to kick...but you get all afternoon to enjoy the sun, beer, mates and BBQ before settling in to watch the game as the sun sets.

People going to the ground, breakfasts become lunches and then you have all afternoon to enjoy the live site around the G, have an early feed or couple of beers to settle the nerves

Game would then go from 6 to 8:40 or so....grab a pie at half time (just after 7 if still hungry) and then plenty of time for presentation and after match concert to go until bout 10:30....but really this is for what 60K people max who are concerned with this concert stuff

Surely even a lil kid can stay up to 10:30 as a special occasion and mid school holidays anyway (big bash type of time).

If you then want to kick on, 10:30pm that is perfect time to either stroll from the G to Richmond or CBD for a few more drinks, or if watching at home plenty of time to head out to bars.

And having all the action from 6 through 10:30 is smack bang in prime time for TV audiences...more eyes watching EVERYWHERE.

A twilight or night GF will be awesome.
You’ll still get 100,000 to the G and you’ll have more people watching on TV.
All but one final, the GF, was played at night / twilight in 2017.
The Richmond vs GWS prelim last year was a great example of how great a massive crowd at twilight is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Absolute pricks if they change it.

Exactly. They probably think it helps with TV viewing or something.

Do they not realise that everyone in the southern states will watch it no matter what time it is on!?

But if they have a night grand final no one can go celebrate after at fed square or have a BBQ in the sun and make a day of it.

It seems like a tonne of corporate greed that will not actually achieve what they want anyway. They have an ingrained tradition that gives them and Melbourne a huge windfall, and they want to risk messing with it and upsetting the balance. Kill the tradition of AFL and its place in culture and they lose out all season.

Exactly. They probably think it helps with TV viewing or something.

Do they not realise that everyone in the southern states will watch it no matter what time it is on!?

But if they have a night grand final no one can go celebrate after at fed square or have a BBQ in the sun and make a day of it.

It seems like a tonne of corporate greed that will not actually achieve what they want anyway. They have an ingrained tradition that gives them and Melbourne a huge windfall, and they want to risk messing with it and upsetting the balance. Kill the tradition of AFL and its place in culture and they lose out all season.

I'm happy either way

Really? you can have a BBQ leading up to it, People still will be able to celebrate.

You continue to focus on Victoria.

Local sports continue all around Australia on Saturday afternoon, tradies all over the country are working.

So yeah, back in the early 1900s when it was all about being there live in daylight, they settled on an afternoon GF it was the best option.

Now it is a national game, and daylight isn’t relevant.
Don't know many tradies at all that work past 12 on a Saturday tbh...

I'm happy either way

Really? you can have a BBQ leading up to it, People still will be able to celebrate.

With twilight maybe just.

With a night grand final kids are going to bed in the last quarter rather than going to see their premiership heroes at fed square. Doesn't really develop the next generation of hardcore fans.

For me personally it won't make much difference, I just call stupidity when I see it. And in terms of growing the game it's stupid.

Who gives a s**t if its twilight? Some posters here crying over spilt milk.
But apparently I can't have a BBQ then and it's just tradition!

12.30pm is a s**t time in WA and we are the 2nd biggest footy state, sooner they change it the better.

It's 100% going to happen at some stage so the whingers may as well suck it up. All the other finals aren't during the day and nobody complains.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back