CONFIRMED: Greater Western Sydney Giants, primary colour charcoal

Jun 2, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS
I think Charcoal, Orange and White would be a good mix a button might look like this.

2ahh72o.jpg

That would be an appalling choice considering they'll be living right next door to Wests Tigers.

If they go with charcoal/black, orange has got to be out of the question.

ROCKETT24

Team Captain
Jul 23, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I dont understand....they ran a poll...WOLVES was by far the most voted from what I have heard...looking on BF, the jumper designs were absolutely amazing....I was all for the 2 tone blue and it seemed like a really smart choice.

If its true they have gone with Giants... and have opted for Charcoal with (what im thinking) is a big white G on the front...talk about disregarding what the community want.

This sounds like a pretty poor decision and the jumper design is going to be pathetic i think...i may still be surprised....but...this has its Precedents....
Freo (BAD JUMPER/SONG)
Port Adelaide (BAD NAME/JUMPER/SONG)
GC (BAD NAME/JUMPER/SONG)
GWS (STILL REMAINING HOPEFUL)

Lets hope history doesnt repeat itself...and that they have made a good decision for once in 20 years (Adelaide Crows was their last great effort)

They could do 1 of 2 things with the Giants thing.......the SMART way about it is #1: POACH AARON SANDILANDS.....

But knowing the way these idiots work..by choosing crap names, crap songs, crap jumpers, crap everything...they will poach Jarrod Blair (not saying he is crap, infact I rekon hes a good player...but the shortness thing as a Giants player)

desie

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2004
Gumnut Cottage
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Arsenal, GWS Giants
My mail is Sanyo...

All Sanyo products are coming under the Panasonic brand from March 2011 from what I've heard, but existing stock will be sold for a further 12 months.

Not sure how this might effect any prospective sponsorship, I would assume that it might be branded as Panasonic instead.

Greater Western Sydney Giants? :eek:
Yeah, I don't think they'll be becoming my #2
NO respect if they keep the Greater, then ignore what the community wants (Wolves) and then not having a predominantly blue guersey (the state colour)

look at the previous teams to start up in the new cities

West Coast Eagles - state colour, Gold and Black - first guersey, predominantly Gold -
West-Coast-1.gif

Adelaide Crows - city colours, Navy Blue + Red + Yellow - first guersey Navy Blue + Red + Yellow
Adelaide-1991.gif

Brisbane Bears - state colours, maroon - first guersey, contained maroon
Brisbane-1.gif

The reason Sydney didn't take the Blue was they were just South Melbourne moved North, they retained the history to keep the colours, and with blue available, it is only logical WS take blue and use it to maximise interest (could get the average New South Welshman interested, instead of just the average Western Sydneysider)

soupaman

Club Legend
May 28, 2006
Wheelers Hill
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If its true they have gone with Giants... and have opted for Charcoal with (what im thinking) is a big white G on the front...talk about disregarding what the community want.

No chance. That is effectively Carlton's jumper.

I can imagine it as being charcoal as the primary colour with a blue thrown in as hoops working, but I'd prefer it to be a two tone blue jumper, preferably with vertical stripes or the like. Some of the Wolves designs were awesome.

As for being the "Giants", not overly cool at the moment but could grow on me, I reckon Suns sounds great now but at the start I was very underwhelmed.

desie

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2004
Gumnut Cottage
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Arsenal, GWS Giants
Strong mail just received from someone in a position to know (not telling!) is that the jumper will be sky blue.

I guess we'll see......

ROCKETT24

Team Captain
Jul 23, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
No chance. That is effectively Carlton's jumper.

Well, what popped into my head & what I was trying to convey, is nothing like Carltons Jumper. GC's is more like Carltons in the sense of a single colour (for the main front) with a GC in the middle (they still should have been called the REDS).

Can someone tell me how to put images from my computer on here please!!!!!

I thought just a plain Charcoal Jumper, white trim...with a Giagantic "G" on the front from the bottom of the V Neck...all the way down to the basically the Navel...and charcoal all around.

Jun 2, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS

BigFooty is not "the community". The internet is not "the community". And internet polls are about as accurate as Richard Wilkins. Folks really need to keep these things in mind.

Jun 12, 2009
red & black hills
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Big V
See Fremantle.

Fremantle has done an extraordinary job. Weak colours, weak nickname, no premierships after 12-13 years, yet they have retained a large membership.

GWS wont be afforded that luxury if on field success is missing. The name and colours will be the least of their problems and should not be over stated as uber.

BigFooty is not "the community". The internet is not "the community". And internet polls are about as accurate as Richard Wilkins. Folks really need to keep these things in mind.

Well said, I was going to post exactly the same thing. The twenty or thirty posters on this BF board who may (or may not) support GWS as their main or second team are a tiny fraction of those who should be getting on board. I couldn't care less if they choose to ignore anything said on this board for that exact reason - it's not that they're ignoring "the community", it's just that we're a tiny bunch of vocal tweets. :)

Having said that, there are some good ideas - the sky blue or double blue colours, some of the names, etc - that they would be well-placed to adopt. But it's not a personal insult if they don't.

ROCKETT24

Team Captain
Jul 23, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

So what is the community....the shortest straw, names in a hat...if people discussing (in many threads and many websites) the name, jumper design, team song, nickname, mascott, everything....is not the community...how do you define community???.

Well sorry but iv seen Newspaper polls, numerous online polls, BF polls, and from everything I have seen heard and read...Giants was daylight behind Wolves.

I believe if you want to get a feeling of what people want....you read over forums such as these and that "Is the community" as we are the only ones talking about it and putting names forward and jumper designs up.

You look over BF and other sites and collect all the data, and jumper designs, and wiht all the overwhelming majority banking for 1 name and a handful of designs...lets opt to shock them wiht a diff name and bland jumper.

Maybe your definition of community is different...but if you want a snapshot of what "The Football Community" are thinking...you go to where "The Football Community" talk about it....you dont hold a colour-in competition at the local Safeway to judge what the "Community" wants.

Obviously thier website is a factor in all this as people can vote and everything. And its propbably the deciding factor about it...but from everythign else apart from teh GWS website that I have seen, Giants was behind even Rangers.

Spose that makes sense why they want to use it then.

I can just see the thought process wiht these people...

Think Tank: Why use some of the amazing ideas people have come up with that are genuinely brilliant and people love.....when we can just use Charcoal with a friken BIG "G" on the front.

GWS BOSS: PROMOTE THAT MAN!!!

AFL community: GROAN!!!!!!! NOT AGAIN:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Gold Coast: YAY...We dont have the worst name/jumper anymore.:):)

Whilst i will forever be Geelong and in the end it doesnt change anythign for me....I get fed up with good ideas being shot down and crap ideas being applauded and used. I saw hundreds of diff themes, names and designs for GC17...when I saw the jumper...my first thought was.."Ok, we have teh blues, maybe they are going alonig the lines of REDS"...then I heard "SUNS", and then to top it all off, i heard that bloody stupid song. My god, I was fairly peed off at that. Was total failure i believe.

Companies spend millions developing recognisable logos and themes and names and the like...its seem that when it comes to AFL teams....meh, anything will do. Finally Freo have gotten the point and have updated their logo/jumper to something vintage yet very modern and strong...Very Good Effort. The song is next.

Port are heading along the same lines wiht thier jumper. Gold Coast...maybe they need 15 years (like Freo) to get their act in order.

I honestly thought that after peoples critiscism of GC17....they would go with something really awesome for GWS (they still may) but im guessing they wont.

Jun 2, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS
So what is the community....the shortest straw, names in a hat...if people discussing (in many threads and many websites) the name, jumper design, team song, nickname, mascott, everything....is not the community...how do you define community???

I define the community as "the people of Greater Western Sydney".

Yes, it really is that simple.

CrazyCandice

Draftee
Oct 14, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
A certain sporting website is claiming they will be green and called the Giants?
Charcol and green maybe?

UrLordLeper

Team Captain
Sep 5, 2010
St Kilda
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chuck Norris, GC Suns
I dont understand....they ran a poll...WOLVES was by far the most voted from what I have heard...looking on BF, the jumper designs were absolutely amazing....I was all for the 2 tone blue and it seemed like a really smart choice.

This sounds like a pretty poor decision and the jumper design is going to be pathetic i think...i may still be surprised....but...this has its Precedents....
Freo (BAD JUMPER/SONG)
Port Adelaide (BAD NAME/JUMPER/SONG)
GC (BAD NAME/JUMPER/SONG)
GWS (STILL REMAINING HOPEFUL)

Lets hope history doesnt repeat itself...and that they have made a good decision for once in 20 years (Adelaide Crows was their last great effort)

You have to keep in mind that those 'terrible precedents' are your own opinion. However you neglected West Coast Eagles' song, which is quite unpopular.. But FWIW..
Fremantle's jumpers have all been good.
Port Adelaide song isn't bad.
Gold Coasts name and song are both fantastic and couldn't be better..
GWS.. We'll we'll see tonight! I don't know how they are going to keep all 'West Sydneysiders' and Canberrans happy though.

UrLordLeper

Team Captain
Sep 5, 2010
St Kilda
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chuck Norris, GC Suns
Strong mail just received from someone in a position to know (not telling!) is that the jumper will be sky blue.

I guess we'll see......

I don't think that is a great move if true.. A bit of sky blue on black / grey / charcoal yeah, but sky blue as the main colour isn't very masculine..

And considering the reputation of AFL in the area I would have thought that such 'weak' and feminine colours would be strongly advised against.

A Readhead Kid

Draftee
Nov 4, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't mind the 'Giants' nickname, I think it will grow on everybody.

But personally I think Wolves would be better name, because they could play a loud wolf howl on the P.A. System when the team kicks a goal.

How awesome would that be and it would scare the opposition players too.

Charcoal and green wouldn't be too bad (depending on the shade of green). Charcoal and orange would be very Tigers-esque, so I'd be hoping they'd avoid that. I'm not a fan of the GC jumper so hopefully they avoided whoever came up with that. It's going to look really dated with the font on the front.

Back