List Mgmt. Confirmed List Changes, Key Dates - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Bolded is a bit weird. Firstly because he is only one year into his contract and secondly because he has been playing pretty well in the two's by all reports after coming back from injury.
I agree with that sentiment, but is he pushing for senior selection? I would think not, therefore it could be beneficial to put him on the rookie list for a year. I wouldn't do it, except that if we are getting McGuane I can't see much else we can do to get another spot. What would you do? We could rookie a player like Close or Wearden, not pick up McGuane, delist someone, I don't know. What would you do (apart from rookie-ing Close), to free up that list spot?

I agree with that sentiment, but is he pushing for senior selection? I would think not, therefore it could be beneficial to put him on the rookie list for a year. I wouldn't do it, except that if we are getting McGuane I can't see much else we can do to get another spot. What would you do? We could rookie a player like Close or Wearden, not pick up McGuane, delist someone, I don't know. What would you do (apart from rookie-ing Close), to free up that list spot?

That sends a terrible message to new draftees, especially KP players who take ages to develop. Don't forget rookie listing a player is a significant pay reduction from a second round draftee like Close. Completely unfair on him to do that IMO.

I'd be de-listing Banfield and/or rookie-listing someone like O'brien. Someone who has potential but has been on the list for a while. Similar to what we did with Bartlett.

That sends a terrible message to new draftees, especially KP players who take ages to develop. Don't forget rookie listing a player is a significant pay reduction from a second round draftee like Close. Completely unfair on him to do that IMO.

I'd be de-listing Banfield and/or rookie-listing someone like O'brien. Someone who has potential but has been on the list for a while. Similar to what we did with Bartlett.
I already had Banfield delisted and I'd rather rookie a 2nd year KPP than a 5th year midfielder. This is when O'Brien should be showing his worth for the senior team. I also think that the minimum payment is significantly less, but that there is no maximum payment, so essentially we could pay Close the same. I may be wrong though. I don't think Close would be too bothered about it. He'd know that if he improved in 2014 he'd be promoted again, and that he's just helping out the club.

I already had Banfield delisted and I'd rather rookie a 2nd year KPP than a 5th year midfielder. This is when O'Brien should be showing his worth for the senior team. I also think that the minimum payment is significantly less, but that there is no maximum payment, so essentially we could pay Close the same. I may be wrong though. I don't think Close would be too bothered about it. He'd know that if he improved in 2014 he'd be promoted again, and that he's just helping out the club.

Not sure about the contract terms but I don't think there is any doubt at all that being put on the rookie list is seen as a demotion. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, just think it would have a potentially detrimental affect mentally on him and possibly others.

Not sure about the contract terms but I don't think there is any doubt at all that being put on the rookie list is seen as a demotion. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, just think it would have a potentially detrimental affect mentally on him and possibly others.
Yep, agree to disagree :thumbsu:

So far,

OUT = 8 (Black, Cornelius, McKeever, Polec, Karnezis, Longer, Docherty, Yeo)

IN = 10 (West, Paine, 7, 22, 25, 28, 33, 34, Freeman, *Clarke)

We had a senior list of 39 this year, and can push it up to 40 if we want to. So assuming this, 1 more player to be cut. If we sign on McGuane as well, 2 more to be cut.

Most likely to get cut/demoted to rookie is IMO Banfield, who's nowhere near senior selection. He'd be followed by any of O'Brien, Crisp or Wearden (who have all done well and showed glimpses late in the season that they could make it).

3 rookies retained = Michael, Bourke, Hayes.

Leaves 3 rookie spots. We'll probably pick up a couple of local prospects (Conway, Tickner, Archie) if they get through the draft, plus another SA smokey would be good (J Clarke, N Hayes type :D).

Totally agree. Close has barely hit the ground. From what I hear he basically improved over the course of the year - way too early to be rookie listing him.

This is how I see what is likely to happen.

The Senior list at season's end was 39 including Clarke...confirmed by Lions website where,right now, early delisting McKeever is the only name removed...Rookie list is Hayes,Bourke and Michael at present.

Black,Cornelius,McKeever and the unpopular 5 are gone = 8 in total leaving 31 remaining.

Add West and Paine = 33 more or less replacing Longer and Karnezis
Add Freeman = 34
Add McGuane = 35

Leaving 5 National Draft selections possible where we have 6 picks under selection 35...requiring one more delisting if we do not want to elevate a rookie or take an Academy player after pick 63 in the ND.

So in effect we have pick 7 then 22 (effectively upgraded from 29 as our second round pick) and then 4 picks before 35 to try to repair some of the damage of Polec,Docherty and Yeo leaving.

It is obvious of course,if we elect to pass on Academy talent in the National Draft we may lose our option to obtain one or more of them...no doubt a lot of consideration has been given to this by the recruiters.

Of the players not selected, we might actually end up taking one or two. We took the player we wanted in Freeman, the other 3 main players in Tickner, Conway and Smith didn't get a lot of interest from other clubs, only Smith iirc had enough to go to the combine. Even if interested, we didn't want to have our picks locked up with so many trades to do. If we don't have much use for a pick 34, we might actually gamble and take smith to make sure we lock him in, as he would be probably the most risk of a club taking a gamble, especially in what seems to be a shallow draft, clubs might be more inclined to gamble on someone like him.

We do need a young ruck to develop, West gives us depth along with Martin backing up Bergs, but having a Smith developing would be ideal.

Question for those in the know, being academy players, don't we have first choice of Smith Conway and Tickner if they get to the PSD? As in we are 100% able to get all 3, assuming we want to take all 3?

I believe that players from the Acedemy that we want to pre-nominate as rookies will be secured before the PSD and Rookie draft commence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's right. We can pre-rookie any of our academy players that aren't taken in the National Draft.

I thought it was the same rules as father/son, i.e. you can only prelist those you've specifically nominated - see Collingwood with Jake Kelly and Freo with Ryan Lester-Smith this year. Otherwise we can use our standard rookie zone priority picks but those come after the PSD.

Hmm you're probably right, though the father/son rookie pre-selection is also after the PSD. We have one zone spot available I'm assuming, though I wonder if we can move players across categories.

The wording isn't the best.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rookie-players

Like father-son players, under the previous AFL rules, Academy players were subject to a bidding system before the National Draft if they were nominated by an eligible club but could not be pre-selected by that club before the Rookie Draft.

Clubs with Academy programs – the Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns, Sydney Swans and GWS Giants – should have the chance to pre-select local talent from the pool of players in their Academy between the Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts if those players nominated for but were not selected at the most recent National or Pre-Season Drafts.

Yeah? I am impressed because that will give me and the sightless Crown Prince of Denmark a lot more to talk about the next day.
Say what?

Sorry I missed this - as patti smith would say - "I was fast asleep, in a room somewhere"

Oh yeah... :thumbsu:

Updated with Jesse O'Brien delisted.

We now have room for all our picks in the first two rounds + Freeman + elevating Clarke. Any further additions outside of this (DFA e.g. McGuane, PSD picks etc.) will require a delisting.

Who on our senior list is currently "uncontracted"?

Who on our senior list is currently "uncontracted"?

I removed it from the OP because I realised I have no idea who actually is and was just guessing.

Staker and Maguire would both be, whether either have re-signed I'm not sure, but you'd think they would (or will). There's questions over whether Banfield is.

Guess we'll find out more by Thursday with the first list lodgements.

This thread is probably worth bumping.

So do we need to take someone else off the main list by 2pm today in order to use our first six draft picks?

Unless something's been done already or a fair few of us are repeatedly miscounting, yeah that's about the situation.

This thread is probably worth bumping.

So do we need to take someone else off the main list by 2pm today in order to use our first six draft picks?

Our current Senior List numbers 35 players and if we plan to delist one more to have all 6 picks in the National Draft next week surely that player should be allowed to nominate for the draft...and there isn't much time to do that as can be seen below.

Friday 15 November: AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) Commences.

Monday 18 November: Delisted Primary List Draft Nomination Form Lodgement; Non–Retained Rookie Players Draft Nomination Form Lodgement; AFL Delisted Free Agency Period (2) Concludes.

The lions senior list website has been updated:

32 on the list
Includes Black
Doesnt include Paine, West, McGuane
Six picks plus Freeman = 41. Unless McGuane is on a rookie contract?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back