News CONFIRMED - McCarthy traded to Brisbane for pick swaps

Remove this Banner Ad

Totally agree and I’ve got no issue with letting him go. But let’s not pretend he’s not talented as some appear to be desperate to claim.

Everyone loved/loves him. Scott and Selwood both said that they were big fans when asked if he would be brought into the finals off one VFL game.

Personally, I never really saw it on the field. Despite his big wraps, for me, he was okay and that's it.

Meanwhile, I actually can see why they talk Menzel and Cockatoo up with just a few actions on the field. I still remember Cockatoo dropping Charlie Cameron with a don't argue as if he'd hit him with a sledgehammer (and then running all the way into our fifty where he kicked a point I believe).

Did he really? You'd have to be a tad sensitive to take it that way I think.
I admit to having some misgivings about our fitness and conditioning set up. That said, Fagan's message was clear about the faith he has in his fitness and conditioning staff based on performance. The comment didn't reflect well on us, although I'm sure it wasn't intended in that way. Collateral damage if you'd prefer.

Never any doubt about the ability of Menzel, just the realistic appraisal of how durable he was going to be after having four seasons out. With Cowan I don't get it now and never did - didn't think he was up to standard, he never starred even at VFL level, and was extraordinarily average (or outright poor) at everything. McCarthy I agree had potential - but that's it. There were tantalising glimpses but no more. And if Dangerfield, Selwood, Ablett senior and junior all said how great he was I'd still be saying the same thing.

As for Blicavs, my opinion hasn't changed. He's emerged as a pretty solid key defender - which the more astute judged pointed out as his best position years ago - but was rubbish as a ruckman and midfielder. Two best and fairest awards later and you're meant to nod sagely and say "yes I was wrong, how dare I for doubting". But some things haven't changed. He's turned into a good defender. But I don't think he was close to our best player in 2018 and he was rubbish once finals started yet again.

Come at me and bring all you've got.
Don't have to "come at you" Partridge. Blitz's record is there for all to see. As are the positive testaments of truckloads of people much better informed than you or I.

You are perfectly entitled to steadfastly stick to your opinion in the face of all that as I'm sure you will.

Don't have to "come at you" Partridge. Blitz's record is there for all to see. As are the positive testaments of truckloads of people much better informed than you or I.

You are perfectly entitled to steadfastly stick to your opinion in the face of all that as I'm sure you will.

He’s done far better than I thought for sure. Good for him. But I’ve still got big queries over him in finals (obviously not alone there).

15+ touches, around half of them score involvements, and two goals late in the last quarter. Handy debut.
Definite talent cruelled by injuries while with us. Sad to see him go. Hopefully gets a better run with injuries at Brisbane. Cheap pick-up by them.

He was the one we wanted to keep, unlike say Gregory.

Good to see him doing well, hopefully he can have a go at a whole season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back