Welcome CONFIRMED - Nathan Kreuger to join Geelong (pick 42 to Carlton)

Harlequin Dream

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Here were my thoughts a few weeks ago:
I would be shocked if Kreuger makes it to our 4th. I don't even expect him to make it to our second. He has been performing like a 1st round key forward in the SANFL.

As 19 year olds:

Kreuger:
22 goals from 13 games

Marshall:
23 goals from 17 games

Weideman:
28 goals from 15 games

Brander:
14 goals from 17 games

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Thank you for taking the time to post that mate. You've got me super excited now!
Absolutely. He's a great guy.

I just think patience will be important, as there ate deficiencies in his game (particularly strength and overhead marking) which will be very frustrating initially, and it's easy to get caught up in only the good attributes of a player. I think he will benefit from a couple of senior games in 2019 (providing he earns them) to give him an idea of the pace of the AFL level as well as the class of opposition compared to the VFL/SANFL but I wouldn't expect him to produce best 22 level footy until mid/late 2020.

catters_28

Club Legend
May 8, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
When I first saw Carlton was involved in this trade I cringed thinking we'd picked up some blues dud I'd never heard of. But finding out hes been playing SANFL footy and we're getting this via Carlton's absurd state league allowances I'm very happy! By all reports this guy sounds like he will be very promising.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Bit the dark up here. If I understand this correctly, the AFL gives Carlton first dibs at the state leagues to bolster their mature age player stocks, and they trade that to us for a third round pick of the current crop of 18 year olds. Doesn't that defeat the AFL's intent?

No, because it gives Carlton & GC a chance to trade that for draft picks too, which Carlton has. Either way it works to help those clubs. It's possible given Kruger is 19 and has had a good year in the SANFL he would've been drafted this year anyway. So Geelong has grabbed this player using this Carlton state league pick for pick 42. Wells seems to think this is a good deal, which implies he thought Kruger would go higher than 42 if he went through the draft.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I think we overpayed to be honest. Battled in the SAFL. Corbett would of been the one I would trade for.

walker80

Debutant
Feb 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Great work Wellsie! Never messes around, just gets the deals done that he wants. Like how the cats had this all planned out last week with Brisbane and Carlton before the trade period hadn't even opened.

Love this pick, had Krueger on my list last year, so only 12 months out. Has some top end qualities. Will be exciting to watch.

I feel old:

upload_2018-10-8_15-4-33.png

19 is "mature-age"?

AFL's policy to strengthen bottom feeders by having them recruit mature age players from state leagues working wonderfully.
You've answered my question, I think. I was wondering what this deal had to do with Carlton...

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
Bit odd that Carl are negotiating with Adel for McGoven. Clearly Adel had zero interest in him.

You can say the same thing with Port who have two picks almost identical to our. What do they know or have seen.

Whether or not it allowed Geelong to benefit, I must say I find it rather bizarre that in our 'equal' draft and trading system, we are giving picks to Carlton for players they don't have any control over. It's even a player from a state they don't reside in.
Paul Roos suggesting that what perpetually terrible teams needed in order to be competitive was more mature players from state leagues while Michael Barlow spent the season averaging 30+ touches in Gold Coast's NEAFL side was bad enough; the AFL implementing the system in such a way that Carlton use it to get more of the same draft picks they've failed to turn into good players for 15+ years, and completely undermining the intent (however dumb) of Roos' original suggestion in the process, is peak Gil Era.

Back