Welcome CONFIRMED - Nathan Kreuger to join Geelong (pick 42 to Carlton)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not surprised at all he got picked up. I didn't know if he'd get picked up this year, but I was certain he would at some point given how well he was tracking at SANFL senior level in 2018.

He's definitely exciting. He's a very athletic kid who's decent overhead and has a big left foot. My knock on him is that he doesn't seem to have a right foot. I really haven't seen a great deal to know too much about him, though.

That video I shared was from South's Facebook page. Many posters on there who either know him personally or have seen a lot more of Nathan than I have have been raving about him. From all reports he's a fantastic kid with a great work ethic and attitude.
Cheers mate, thanks for sharing your thoughts

We have quite a good record in Hawks weeks off, actually. There also aren't many clubs interested in holding multiple pure key forwards, because it makes way more sense to give the second/third stringers some alternative pathways to senior selection.

WCE and Richmond and there big clubs.

Also second/third stringers since when.

WCE and Richmond and there big clubs.

Also second/third stringers since when.
Sure, WCE are one of the exceptions to that. Richmond only achieved it by recruiting Lynch, but Riewoldt isn't even a traditional key - in some respects more of a third tall. Not sure what the point of being 'big clubs' is, though.

Sure, WCE are one of the exceptions to that. Richmond only achieved it by recruiting Lynch, but Riewoldt isn't even a traditional key - in some respects more of a third tall. Not sure what the point of being 'big clubs' is, though.

Melbourne swans Giants just to name 3.
Contenders!

Melbourne swans Giants just to name 3.
Contenders!
Who are your examples in these cases? For instance you know that Jonathon Patton is a ruck/fwd for GWS, right? That's how Lobb started getting selection before they ran out of rucks and turned him into a full time ruck.

Sam Reid has definitely been a second ruck for the Swans at times, depending on lineups.

For Melbourne McDonald is a defender too, and has played in that role before many times.

Who are your examples in these cases? For instance you know that Jonathon Patton is a ruck/fwd for GWS, right? That's how Lobb started getting selection before they ran out of rucks and turned him into a full time ruck.

Sam Reid has definitely been a second ruck for the Swans at times, depending on lineups.

For Melbourne McDonald is a defender too, and has played in that role before many times.

Tom Mac and Weideman, Buddy and Tom Macartin.
Collingwood Cox and Moore for 2019.

Tom Mac and Weideman, Buddy and Tom Macartin.
Collingwood Cox and Moore for 2019.
Cox and Moore may be your funniest combination yet... Cox is absolutely a ruckman, probably even more than he is a forward, while Moore is a defender.

Cox and Moore may be your funniest combination yet... Cox is absolutely a ruckman, probably even more than he is a forward, while Moore is a defender.

I heard it mentioned after the GF defeat they would have 2 genuine tall forwards in 19.
But the others are legit. HEY!
WCE proved that it's imperitive, JackD kicked 43 goals this year as no2.

I heard it mentioned after the GF defeat they would have 2 genuine tall forwards in 19.
But the others are legit. HEY!
WCE proved that it's imperitive, JackD kicked 43 goals this year as no2.
After last year it was being said that a fleet of small forwards was imperative... also Tom McCartin is a delicate baby bird who played in a team with two rucks at both NEAFL and AFL levels and Weideman rucked this year so no, not great examples.

I don't disagree that WCE forward structure was good, or that it involved two pure KF. I liked how they set up this year. At the same time I just think that there is no hard and fast rule about how any team should be structuring up. You need to first capture assets through list management, then determine through coaching how to best utilise those assets. That will mean different things to different teams, and it should. If I was going to design a forward line from scratch without limitations then it would probably either have 0 or 2 key forwards, because I believe in offensive arrangements that unbalance the opposition (like say additional key forwards, or multiple medium/third tall types). All of that's a bit immaterial though, as AFL forward structures have to align with midfield and defensive structures as well as strict rotation policies. Hence all these teams using their non first choice key forward as a ruck relief, or occasional key defender, etc.

After last year it was being said that a fleet of small forwards was imperative... also Tom McCartin is a delicate baby bird who played in a team with two rucks at both NEAFL and AFL levels and Weideman rucked this year so no, not great examples.

I don't disagree that WCE forward structure was good, or that it involved two pure KF. I liked how they set up this year. At the same time I just think that there is no hard and fast rule about how any team should be structuring up. You need to first capture assets through list management, then determine through coaching how to best utilise those assets. That will mean different things to different teams, and it should. If I was going to design a forward line from scratch without limitations then it would probably either have 0 or 2 key forwards, because I believe in offensive arrangements that unbalance the opposition (like say additional key forwards, or multiple medium/third tall types). All of that's a bit immaterial though, as AFL forward structures have to align with midfield and defensive structures as well as strict rotation policies. Hence all these teams using their non first choice key forward as a ruck relief, or occasional key defender, etc.

Wouldn't mind seeing us play a tall HFF like Gunston even if we rotated ruckman at CHF or FF.
A guy over 195cm like Kreuger who's agile (top 10 com) and fast would always be a handful on a FF imo.
Constable with his creative handball and strong o/head would also be a good starter for HFF. Needs a good pre season but has the talent and be rotated through the middle as well.

Just saying, we shouldn't be obligated to play a raft of smalls just because they're there.Finding best return is what matters.
If we find one or two good crumbers apart from Dallhaus we'll be doing well.

Reckon we need a big defender and big mid out of the draft, we're losing a raft of 190cm players by the looks so we'll need to stock up some medium/talls.
Like Brett Bewley as a high possession tough utility, his VFL form should have him knocking on the door almost straight away.
At 22 yrs he's an ideal mature late pick for maximum value.

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind seeing us play a tall HFF like Gunston even if we rotated ruckman at CHF or FF.
A guy over 195cm like Kreuger who's agile (top 10 com) and fast would always be a handful on a FF imo.
Constable with his creative handball and strong o/head would also be a good starter for HFF.
Needs a good pre season but has the talent and be rotated through the middle as well.
Just saying, we shouldn't be obligated to play a raft of smalls just because they're there.
Finding best return is what matters.
If we find one or two good crumbers apart from Dallhaus we'll be doing well.
Reckon we need a big defender and big mid out of the draft, we're losing a raft of 190cm players by the looks so we'll need to stock up some medium/talls.
Like Brett Bewley as a high possession tough utility, his VFL form should have him knocking on the door almost straight away.
At 22 yrs he's an ideal mature late pick for maximum value.
Yeah, I think we've discussed already that the club needs to bring in some talls this year now that they've decided to move on from Gardner and House, with Buzza probably unlikely to make it (though I haven't given up just yet).

Krueger is a good start towards that, although with his versatility would be fun to fill that tall flanker role you're describing - with Tomahawk and possibly even Sav as traditional keys if we wanted to go land of the giants. It'll be interesting to see where the structure goes from here. Hopefully they do something interesting that reflects what we have, not just trying to copy other teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back to the topic .... I just hope that supporters expectations of Krueger aren't too high. He's a kid, let's give him a bit of time to develop and adjust to AFL.
THIS X 10000

Give the kid a year or 2 to build into it.

Although im sure the foamers will be all over him in wk 7 when he doesnt have 20 and 3 a game, Wells for drafting a spud and CS for playing him out of position.
At least the CS criticism ill be able to understand.

Go Catters

Yeah, I think we've discussed already that the club needs to bring in some talls this year now that they've decided to move on from Gardner and House, with Buzza probably unlikely to make it (though I haven't given up just yet).

Krueger is a good start towards that, although with his versatility would be fun to fill that tall flanker role you're describing - with Tomahawk and possibly even Sav as traditional keys if we wanted to go land of the giants. It'll be interesting to see where the structure goes from here. Hopefully they do something interesting that reflects what we have, not just trying to copy other teams.

W

Reading up on Jackson Hately boy hasn't he performed at senior SANFL level for a draftee.
The type that's able from the get go. Would be wrapped if we snagged this bloke.
Another Sth Stralian.

The more I watch Kreuger, the more he starts to remind me of Sam Gilbert from the Saints... Very similar body shape, both left footers, part indigenous, pretty good agility... I know Kreuger is a Forward, but I wouldn't be surprised if he plays down back if he doesn't work out as a Forward at AFL level.

Riewoldt is most definately a traditional key forward

The more I watch Kreuger, the more he starts to remind me of Sam Gilbert from the Saints... Very similar body shape, both left footers, part indigenous, pretty good agility... I know Kreuger is a Forward, but I wouldn't be surprised if he plays down back if he doesn't work out as a Forward at AFL level.

I so hope he is nothing like sam Gilbert

I so hope he is nothing like sam Gilbert
From the little bits ive seen of him, the one thing that makes me think he's more forward than defender is his ability to find the ball.

Defenders often do better being led to the ball where as forwards tend to have the knack of getting their own.

Freddy seems to be able to find his own pill - so id be thinking F50 rather than D 50.

But armchair QB's are oft wrong and this would be no different for me. Excited to see what he brings but looks like the natural talent is there.

GO Catters

From the little bits ive seen of him, the one thing that makes me think he's more forward than defender is his ability to find the ball.

Defenders often do better being led to the ball where as forwards tend to have the knack of getting their own.

Freddy seems to be able to find his own pill - so id be thinking F50 rather than D 50.

But armchair QB's are oft wrong and this would be no different for me. Excited to see what he brings but looks like the natural talent is there.

GO Catters
Agreed - for me this is the sort of future recruiting / planning for the future that the club needs. Hopefully just one of a few.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back