Welcome CONFIRMED - Nathan Kreuger to join Geelong (pick 42 to Carlton)

Remove this Banner Ad

he's easily good enough to be in our best 22

for a portion of he sesson- can he or we make that portion large enough??
He isn't willing enough to best 22.

He might be restricted physically, and even lacking a defensive mindset, but he is certainly not unwilling.
I've often seen him not attempt to chase. That's unwilling. You can still make an effort despite the restrictions. If his body isn't up to it it time to cut ties.

The big plus is having played the season for South Adelaide - thats a proven system for players to be ready to play AFL in their 1st year if good enough

However i did listen to Stephen Wells re this pick - and he did say or words to that effect - that he thinks he will take a while before he is ready for AFL football

The big plus is having played the season for South Adelaide - thats a proven system for players to be ready to play AFL in their 1st year if good enough

However i did listen to Stephen Wells re this pick - and he did say or words to that effect - that he thinks he will take a while before he is ready for AFL football
Which is all about managing expectations - they don't want to give fans assumptions that will fail and then open the club up to criticism.

They wouldn't bring Kreuger in if they didn't think he could play, and if he can play then he can potentially play off of the next pre-season. Probably won't happen, but it could.

I've often seen him not attempt to chase. That's unwilling. You can still make an effort despite the restrictions. If his body isn't up to it it time to cut ties.
You might be right about his body, but someone who spends years in rehab to get back to playing the sport he loves is the absolute opposite of unwilling.

The SW move on him I still shake my head at....trust me in a very positive manner. Coming from South Adl' i just wonder if it pulled the carpet from under the feet of 1. Both adl sides, looking at him 2. Buddha Hocking, the previous coach at sth now at coll' may have been in the pies sights as well. We will never know

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

The SW move on him I still shake my head at....trust me in a very positive manner. Coming from South Adl' i just wonder if it pulled the carpet from under the feet of 1. Both adl sides, looking at him 2. Buddha Hocking, the previous coach at sth now at coll' may have been in the pies sights as well. We will never know

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
It is very Wells... new rule introduced, immediately leverage it to access a left field selection from the SANFL.

Bless you Wellsy.

Reckon Kreuger could make his debut quite early in the season next year.

Depends what happens with Menzel if he stays & how his preseason goes.

But considering Ratugolea & Kreuger are both agile for their size and pretty quick I could definitely see a forward line of Hawkins, Ratugolea & Kreuger along with smalls.

He appears to have an instinct for second effort/tackling based on the highlights. If he has some closing speed, with his height he could be a headache for opposing defences - if he can build match fitness we could (somewhat perversely) gift him games initially as a defensive forward.

Last edited:
He appears to have an instinct for second effort/tackling based on the highlights. If he has some closing speed, with his height he could be a headache for opposing defences - if he can build match fitness we could (somewhat perversely) gift him games initially as a defensive forward.

Hasn’t he effectively been playing VFL in the SANFL all year? I suspect he’s a bit more ready to go than people think but wells is right to indicate otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we're gonna see him play next year at some point. You don't get an endorsement from Andrew McLeod, without people taking notice. Him and Ratugolea in the same forward line with Ablett, Dahl, Scooter and Cocky buzzing around, would be a nightmare for defences. Not to mention having Hawkins as the key forward to take the key defender. Exciting times!

Wells im pretty sure said he’s take some time to get to fitness and AFL level. If he shows enough in the vfl consistently then he’ll get the call up - but im happy to let him develop slowly.
With him and sav there is no rush imo. Go Catters

People talking about testing Menzel tactically when he’ll almost certainly miss half the 2019 season is laughable

And that’s why he should be shown the door.
Not to mention his onfield laziness on the rare occasions he does play

Hasn’t he effectively been playing VFL in the SANFL all year? I suspect he’s a bit more ready to go than people think but wells is right to indicate otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yup. Massive leap from SANFL resssiea to AFL This a gamble.....but people already have in our best 22.

Unless you're a Joel Selwood, everyone does their time in the state leagues. Well Kreuger has already done that time and should be ready to step straight in, just like Kelly last season and countless mature age players before him. That was the whole point of this concession, making available mature players who are ready to go rather than kids with potential

Unless you're a Joel Selwood, everyone does their time in the state leagues. Well Kreuger has already done that time and should be ready to step straight in, just like Kelly last season and countless mature age players before him. That was the whole point of this concession, making available mature players who are ready to go rather than kids with potential
Thank goodness it'll be able to help Carlton improve in the short term more than regular draft picks would :think:

He's still only a 19 year old KPF, and he's only played 13 senior games. Let's temper expectations a little.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back