Confirmed: Preliminary Final on Sunday at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Why then was the AFL W prelim originally scheduled for sat 23rd in the fixture?

Who knows, maybe it's not the broadcasters, maybe AO said no. If the AFL were prepared to have that final up against the 2 men's games as per their original fixture, then you'd have to think that something else got in the way. The only unknown when creating the 2 fixtures were which teams would be hosting. So, a reasonable conclusion to draw, would be that either us or AO didn't want the double header happening. When you think about it, what Doc was saying on AA was bullshit. It made sense to me that keeping the broadcasters happy was an issue, but if they originally scheduled both for Saturday, then the broadcasters had obviously already been taken care of. I'd be looking at the club or AO, I can't imagine the AFL would have cared, given they originally scheduled for Saturday anyway.

The AFL kowtowing the broadcasters who are not paying to show the AFLW games. The AFL are funding these first couple of seasons, including the broadcasting costs. They are in the position of power and yet it seems they allowed the broadcasters to have the ultimate say.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Big companies like the AFL talk a big game when it comes to equality and women’s rights. But at the end of the day decisions like this make you think having an AFLW is more of an inconvenience and way to say they’re trying to help with parity as opposed to actually giving a s**t.

Would sign a petition or social media agenda driven post if someone can be bothered to start one as I’m pretty pissed at the AFL on this one.

Great, now I can’t make it.
A double-header on Saturday would have been perfect.
And of course Carlton and Freo, who didn’t win as many / finished lower than the Crows, get an extra days rest, good one again AFL .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Its the wrong decision, Saturday night after the mens game just made so much sense its not funny. From a selfish point of view though, at least I should be able to watch it now.

Just on the broadcasters, maybe the issue was not so much about going head-to-head with the Saturday night games, but more to do with the fact that the AFL game is going to be a Fox production, but the AFLW game is most likely a Seven production. Could have just come down to logistics around that.

Saturday night would’ve been good and it makes sense on many levels but it’d be directly up against two other games whereas on Sunday it’s up against one other game so you could argue it gives them a bit more clean air. Personally I think it’d be interesting to see how many go to the game for the game, not because they’re already there because of another game.

Maybe they don't want the image of 40k spectators leaving as the match begins.

We'll never know, but I reckon half to two-thirds of the crowd would've stayed, 25,000 to 35,000. They're Crows supporters, they are already there FFS.

Sunday will get 12,000 to 15,000 I reckon, they'll block off level 5 all round, it will still be a good atmosphere but nothing like Saturday night would've been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a double header would have been a mistake.

No way EVERYONE would stay. A lot of AFL supporters are not as keen on the AFLW. A lot of people cannot do 5-6 hours of footy. It locks out AFLW supporters from seeing a game they are desperate to see.

I see it as an opportunity. Most people cannot get to AO to see football because the AFL men's games are sold out ... I bet there are lots of AFLW Crow fans that will jump at the chance and get a big crowd that is there to truly support the AFLW team.

No way EVERYONE would stay. A lot of AFL supporters are not as keen on the AFLW. A lot of people cannot do 5-6 hours of footy. It locks out AFLW supporters from seeing a game they are desperate to see.

I see it as an opportunity. Most people cannot get to AO to see football because the AFL men's games are sold out ... I bet there are lots of AFLW Crow fans that will jump at the chance and get a big crowd that is there to truly support the AFLW team.

A good point, but surely you’d still end up with bigger numbers on Saturday night retaining those who wanted to stay on. By putting it on after the men’s match you could open it up to anyone who didn’t necessarily have a ticket to Crows vs Hawks too.

A good point, but surely you’d still end up with bigger numbers on Saturday night retaining those who wanted to stay on. By putting it on after the men’s match you could open it up to anyone who didn’t necessarily have a ticket to Crows vs Hawks too.

Bigger numbers? That shouldn't be the aim.

It would also hide the true numbers of the first AFLW prelim at AO, rather than hold it up to be admired.

... and imagine chaos of trying to get into a semi-emptying AO

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

How would a Saturday night game have “locked out AFLW supporters” from seeing the game?

You said that not all AFL supporters would stay, so how are AFLW supporters getting locked out?

Big companies like the AFL talk a big game when it comes to equality and women’s rights. But at the end of the day decisions like this make you think having an AFLW is more of an inconvenience and way to say they’re trying to help with parity as opposed to actually giving a s**t.

Would sign a petition or social media agenda driven post if someone can be bothered to start one as I’m pretty pissed at the AFL on this one.
It's just like their "anti-doping" code. It's there for the optics of it, rather than the actuality. It is clear they don't give a s**t. The conferences. Up against AFLX and the mens, and now no double header.

Bigger numbers? That shouldn't be the aim.

It would also hide the true numbers of the first AFLW prelim at AO, rather than hold it up to be admired.

... and imagine chaos of trying to get into a semi-emptying AO

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sorry I don’t see what you’re getting at. In terms of stadium logistics, just allow sufficient time to get people in/out between matches.

Surely greater exposure should be the aim. A Saturday night game would mean a better television audience, plus a crowd consisting of anyone who specifically wanted to attend the AFLW match, plus those from the men’s game who felt like staying on.

Gil was on 360 last night and discussed the thinking, I can’t remember the points as I was cooking, maybe someone can post a clip of it. I think it’s one of those decisions that are problematic on all fronts and as has been mentioned I think there was some factors that were an issue with getting people in and out of the stadium on Saturday night.

Not sure.

Never left a game that early

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Neither have I, outside of a 93/94 game against Fitzroy on a cold and very wet Saturday night at Football Park where we left at half-time. I don't even understand the people that leave 5-10 minutes before the end of the last quarter to avoid the traffic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back