Confirmed: Preliminary Final on Sunday at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just like their "anti-doping" code. It's there for the optics of it, rather than the actuality. It is clear they don't give a s**t. The conferences. Up against AFLX and the mens, and now no double header.

They have an illicit drugs policy that operates as well as the “anti-doping” code. Most sports don’t have the extra layer. I agree that they should remove it and just run the WADA code. Then people like you can stop bitching about it and the AFL can not bother trying to address that issue. You complain about conferences and then going up against the men’s comp. How do you see no clash at all with the men’s season without conferences? How early do you want to start it or do you think the men’s GF should be played in November? That’s a piss poor rant, full of holes.

There are a lot of cogent reasons for the standalone in this thread.
May be a combination of factors, but to me the standout is the TV thing. They'll get far more viewers when not competing against men's games. Saints V Suns is on for part of the time, but that's a game of little interest for most fans.

Not us, the battle for positions in the bottom 3 starts early.

Yep ... why the hell would they want the comps to over-lap like this??? It's nuts.

Add-in the stupid AFLX in the middle of the AFLW season and I think we can see the true feelings of the AFL when it comes to the women's comp.

I don’t think their plan for world domination should be put on the back burner just to not clash for 5 minutes with AFLW. They’ve obviously got more faith in the product than many so called AFLW fans. It’ll survive and prosper perfectly well competing with AFLX for a week or two and its finals being up against rounds 1 and 2. I expect our prelim will rate very well up against a men’s game.

The issue would be for people who wanted to attend the AFLW but not the men’s game. With a large (possible sellout) for the earlier game it possibly prevents those who want to attend the ALFW game only (including AFLW members) from attending.

That would be my best guess
It's such stupid reasoning

It's the same reason given for no SANFL curtain raiser. What about the 650 WWT diehards who go every week?

Well, they miss a week. This game replaced a bye for them after all. And they can be happy their players get to play a game on the FINALS VENUE in front of a big crowd, the same way any normal functioning fan of a football club would be

I

It's the same reason given for no SANFL curtain raiser. What about the 650 WWT diehards who go every week?

Well, they miss a week. This game replaced a bye for them after all. And they can be happy their players get to play a game on the FINALS VENUE in front of a big crowd, the same way any normal functioning fan of a football club would be
I don’t think its stupid and shows respect to those fans who may have gone to the women’s game (including a lot of kids) but might not be able to get (or afford a ticket) to the men’s game.

I personally would have liked the convenience of seeing both in one trip but I would like to see the girls pull a big crowd based on their own merit. They deserve it

I think if there was enough of a will there would be a way, but it probably would require people to scan out as they leave so there is a record of the total number of people in the stadium at anyone time.

I was so pumped for a double header, I'd organised with friends who'd never seen a AFLW game to stick around and support, there is no way I'll get all of them to come back on the Sunday.

AFL are assholes

I'm the same - I'm taking a relative from overseas going to the game on Saturday (I've joked it'll be a culture shock of being in a stadium with more people that the village he lives in), and was looking forward to introducing him to the women's game while we were there. Going to be a hard ask to convince him to come back on the Sunday.

For someone that claims to have no interest in AFLW, you sure do post about it a lot.

Did Erin Phillips run over your cat or something?
There are a few of my friends like that - they are quick to bag the comp but they know everything that's going on.
The Poort Paer mob are the same, but with more salt.

Actually
it went from 20 games over 24 weeks
to 18 games over 22 weeks

Remember you used to play everyone twice and 4 teams a third time!

100% TV decision.

Saturday night a more favored timeslot and with the two AFL games on this game is being buried on Sunday.

No way the SMA asked for this. Far easier for them to play after our game.
No way our club wanted this.
I bet the p3layers would rather play at night in front of a decent crowd.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I see it diffently. The women want their product to stand alone. They don't want to be second fiddle to the men. Like Darren jarman and his move the hawthorn. They also have a fan base that doesn't go to the mens games. They want girls interested in playing afl able to attend.

I see it diffently. The women want their product to stand alone. They don't want to be second fiddle to the men. Like Darren jarman and his move the hawthorn. They also have a fan base that doesn't go to the mens games. They want girls interested in playing afl able to attend.

They specifically asked for the double header.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think its stupid and shows respect to those fans who may have gone to the women’s game (including a lot of kids) but might not be able to get (or afford a ticket) to the men’s game.

I personally would have liked the convenience of seeing both in one trip but I would like to see the girls pull a big crowd based on their own merit. They deserve it

Agree, but do you think scheduling the game less than 24 hrs after most of the crowd have already attended at the same venue is the answer?

They specifically asked for the double header.

The afl make decisions on what is in the best interests of the game, that's not always in the wishes of individual clubs.

Well that's what their publicity officer directs the media to say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back