Traded Confirmed Trade: Collingwood trade Sharrod Wellingham to West Coast for #17

Remove this Banner Ad

To those WCE fans worried that they played overs
If Wellingham hits a Carlton player will it make you feel better?
Sharrod also plays really well on Judd

Not really, because he now carries a 30% loading for any suspensions. So him missing an extra week or two due to indiscretions playing for another club wouldn't be overly pleasant.

Its been a few years since this trade, whats your thoughts?

How much could the Eagles use Brodie Grundy (the traded pick) these days.

Collingwood a long way ahead in this trade!

Horrible trade, but we wouldn't have taken Grundy.

Given that we drafted Colledge, Hutchings, Carter and upgraded Brad Dick we probably came out on top with Sharrod anyway.

Into his 5th season at WC and only one of them has been any good.

Given that we drafted Colledge, Hutchings, Carter and upgraded Brad Dick we probably came out on top with Sharrod anyway.

Yeah and Freo wouldnt have taken Hodge or Judd but they sure would have helped!

Wow that was a bad draft for the Eagles!

Great deal for the Pies who probably got slightly more than he was worth as he was contracted.

Wellingham has been okay although the price was too steep in the end.

They were picks 45, 59 and 60 respectively so probably not the best way of assessing how well we would have used the pick. That being said, I don't know who we would have taken. Ben Kennedy probably?

Wellingham looked really good in 2012 as a full-time midfielder but it seems the Eagles used him more as a defender. I don't think they utilised him right so he wasn't able to continue improving.

I thought West Coast tried to use him as a midfielder initially but he spudded it up/kept getting injured so they shifted him to defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were picks 45, 59 and 60 respectively so probably not the best way of assessing how well we would have used the pick. That being said, I don't know who we would have taken. Ben Kennedy probably?
That was a terrible draft, especially from that pick on. Good plan to trade picks in slim draft years, and it is cherry picking to look at Grundy and say they could have taken him. Of course it is true; when you look in the rear view mirror.

Another terrible trade like Jetta and Redden. Where's the accountability for the Eagles trade team? Why have they not been sacked?
Yep, up there with the Stenglein and Chick trades. After all, they were both traded for first round picks and weren't elite footballers either, right?

Sometimes they come off and fit within the system, sometimes they don't.

Or Tim Broomhead..those 2 were the ones Collingwood took with their 3 in a row

I don't think it was a great draft we took grundy at pick 17 but there was not a lot of quality players after that pick. Think the Eagles took a calculated risk and I don't think they lost too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back