Roast Congrats AFL You Win

Remove this Banner Ad

My take on your post-
  • Abolish the stand rule: Totally agree, get that s**t out of the game quick smart, it's horrible. It creates too many free-goal situations, and players even try to abuse it, pretend to handball, player on the mark moves to react (which is almost impossible to stop, it's an instinctive flinch), 50 metres. Is that really what we want in our game? Cale Hooker did it almost every time he took a mark last year.
  • Abolish the ruck nomination rule: Totally agree, just bloody throw it up/in, if a team isn't ready or on the flipside is able to play it well enough that a third man can impact things, whatever, it's not game-breaking, and it's far better than slowing the game down to nominate and then paying s**t free kicks for mistakes.
  • Abolish the 'insufficient intent' (deliberate out of bounds) rule: On this I disagree a little. I'd just love to see them go back to how it was before, just pinging very clear deliberates. These days if you are a defender who bombs the s**t out of defensive 50, you get penalised for it. It used to be a defender's main weapon to get out of danger, but is now penalised to try and increase scoring, because it makes it harder for teams to get the ball out of defence. I say just bring it back to how it was, clearing kicks are fine, good job, but very clear deliberate, ping it. If a clearing kick on the wing goes 30 metres and then out of bounds, rather than ping for deliberate (because, especially in the wet, 99 times out of 100 it's not actually deliberate), just throw it in quickly and don't wait for the teams and rucks to show up and be ready.
  • Abolish 'prior opportunity': This one will potentially always be contentious because holding the ball can be really hard for umpires in the heat of the moment. But it is very badly umpired now, that's for sure. My take is that it should be if you have had the ball for two seconds (no, you don't need to count, it's pretty easy to "feel" how long two seconds is, and worded differently it basically just means prior opportunity anyway) and you get tackled without disposing of the ball correctly OR get tackled and the ball gets locked in, it's holding the ball. If you've had the ball for less than two seconds, doesn't matter if you are tackled and it's a throw or the ball gets locked in, it's not holding the ball. I feel like that could make things really simple.
  • Abolish the bounce: Up until last season I have always said no, keep the bounce, it's a great part of our game. Then we played GWS when our season was dead, we got wrecked by both GWS and the umpires that day, and there were at least three occasions when the umpire bounced it a mile outside the circle to Mumford's advantage, he just punched it a mile forward, and they called play on, then there was ONE to Nank's advantage and they stopped play. After that, and after seeing SO many bad bounces this season already, I say scrap it.
  • Actually enforce the 'kick must be 15m to award a mark' rule: I agree, and I almost want to say make it 20 metres. Chip chip footy is horrible, especially when the 15m isn't enforced.
  • Abolish the 'warning' for 666: Agreed, if you fail to line up 666 at the centre ball up, free kick to the other team.
  • Reduce interchange to three players: I think keep it as four, 22 is about the right number.
  • Turn the medical sub into a tactical sub: I don't agree with a tactical sub sorry. I would keep the medical sub but, if a player is subbed out, they are not allowed to play the following week. This hopefully goes some way to stopping coaches abusing it, as they will only use it if a player is genuinely injured enough.

Some additions I'd make-

• Stop calling a free kick when a legal tackle turns into an "in the back" or an "over the shoulder": I absolutely hate it when I see a normal tackle and then the player with the ball flops forward or rolls onto his stomach and the umpire calls in the back. They probably do it to keep the game moving and I hate that, it's just another attempt to manufacture play and manufacture scoring. Same with a legal tackle that then slides up over the shoulder. If the tackle was legal at first, let it go.
  • Similar to the above, I would love if they stopped calling free kicks when there are tiny little bits of nothing contact to the shoulder or above, just let it go unless it actually impacts the player/play.
  • Abolish the protected area: This one has just never sat right with me. Unless a nearby player actually does something to physically impede the guy with the ball, it shouldn't be pinged. Players should not be required to be "aware" of invisible field zones. It just goes against all instinct and is impossible to fairly adjudicate, and the punishment also does not fit the crime. Guy has the ball 80 metres from goal, about to bomb it into 50, opponent strolls by 4 metres to the left of him, 50 metres is called and it becomes an almost certain goal. It's insane. But even without the fact that the punishment doesn't fit the crime, the fact is that it's just too hard a rule to make clear, again, there are no lines on the field that magically appear, and it's not fair to say "just don't go near the guy with the ball", often players are already nearby and they have to mad dash away from danger quickly, lest they cause a 50, it's just so dumb, and causes so many shitty "feelsbad" moments for players and fans.
  • 50 should either be a lot harder to receive, or it should just be 30: Especially given how many shitty little ways there are to give away 50 metres, the penalty is just way too game-changing, so I feel it should either be harder to give away and umpires should relax, and/or it should only be 30 metres.
  • Rotations: Honestly I was all-for less rotations to tire sides out and open up the game, but I dunno, since they brought it in I'm now almost for bringing it back to unlimited. One because it sucks that there is some invisible stat that needs to be kept track of that isn't actually part of the game, it's micromanagement that must be horrible to do on game day, and second, is footy better these days since the lowering of rotations? God no, footy is kinda s**t at the moment, I feel so negative when I watch it, I don't enjoy it but since I've been into it so long, I stick by it almost masochistically, I can't help it. Maybe just put it back to unlimited and let them bloody run themselves ragged. You might then see the better players explode more often.

That's all I can really think of.
I actually really like the insufficient intent rule. I hate watching players just lazily corral the ball to the line. It's weak as piss.
We've clearly been trained to always try and make the play if possible on the boundary but there's some teams and particular players that if it's near the line you can guarantee they'll find a way to get it over. Makes them think twice about it.

Bullshit ticketing policies in the name of Covid making it a pain in the ass for me to just go to a game with mates.

Bullshit music blaring every ******* break making it hard to talk to those mates if they even did bother coming.

Bullshit food and drink stands where I spend half a quarter waiting for a watered down beer that costs an arm and a leg.

Bullshit rule changes that blatantly targeted the defensive structure of the team I support.

Bullshit amateur umpiring where I know the team I support will get reamed 9/10 times.

So congrats AFL, you win - I won't be going to the footy anymore. And by the looks of your crowd numbers, neither will a few other people. So stick that up your ******* short term bonuses you campaigners.
I have said it before and i’ll say it again, SUPPORT LOCAL FOOTBALL. $5 cans, $12 entry, better to watch, better officiated, old school fun. Much better, enjoyable day. Cheaper as well.

I feel embarrassed for you reading this. It's not the AFL's fault we're s**t lol. We're just old and tired. Enjoy the journey and the build to the next rise.
Such smug smarminess...you could pass for a godees supporter

I disagree, when Gale comes out and speaks on behalf of the club and the members then I have an issue with what is said.
I can't sit back and let things slide especially when he doesn't speak on my behalf and his stance was purely based the Governments and MSN bullshit.
That said receptionist didn't disagree with me either. I still applaud Hardwick for coming out and making a stand, thank god there are millions of others who feel the same way. You ask why I got triggered over this? it's because people out there are fighting for their lives with no jobs and no ability to pay the mortgage or feed the family, so when the squeaky clean Gale comes out and condems actions of these people then I have an issue. I myself have lost over 150K because of all the bullshit this state is in and the blackmail that is being used against the people.
Are you slow? The receptionist is paid to listen to idiots like you and gets fired if she tells you what she really thinks.

Me...I'd just video the weekly inconsistent free kicks awarded ...forward the video to AFL house and ask for an explanation...
I would do it till the AFL were sick of it non-stop!...just like the players are of their biased decisions...
Heck we have 3 out of 4 GFs...who cares now...

Are you slow? The receptionist is paid to listen to idiots like you and gets fired if she tells you what she really thinks.
Are you not reading my posts, I didn't abuse the MALE, I never said they were female!, It's interesting that certain people like yourself on this forum have no problems name calling people like myself, calling then idiots, *******s, lowlife scum. Maybe you should learn something from your post.

This “hardest game to umpire” argument is rubbish.

What responsible employer sends employees out to a hostile environment? Clarify and clean it up ffs.

Steve Hocking does have a lot to answer for honestly. Untried rules introduced and not appropriately assessed. The game is far worse for his legacy tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No worries. Cya when we make finals again.
And when are you predicting that and from what position will we launch this finals challenge? Oh, and SunnyBoy can not like the way footy is heading if he wants to and feels the only way he can have a say is to not pay up. Millions don't pay anything up already!

This “hardest game to umpire” argument is rubbish.

What responsible employer sends employees out to a hostile environment? Clarify and clean it up ffs.

Steve Hocking does have a lot to answer for honestly. Untried rules introduced and not appropriately assessed. The game is far worse for his legacy tbh.
Absolutely. He is the worst thing to have happened to game since the Phil Carmen headbutt!! Would love to bump into him someday!

I actually really like the insufficient intent rule. I hate watching players just lazily corral the ball to the line. It's weak as piss.
We've clearly been trained to always try and make the play if possible on the boundary but there's some teams and particular players that if it's near the line you can guarantee they'll find a way to get it over. Makes them think twice about it.
Do you like a miss kick being treated as insufficient intent? Do you like a bad bounce (at right angles) being treated as insufficient intent? Do you like a player forced to the line when he has no other option but to give it up to opposition have to try and fake a ball outage. Bring back deliberate, or pay all out of bounds that way and really * up the game perhaps. ......

Am all for deliberate, but frankly I want less umpire interaction - and don't start me on umpires belief that they know what players are thinking - most of them have never played a serious game (a couple have but they too are caught up in the whole "umpires belief" system.

Last edited:
Sorry to intrude but couldn't agree more, these feelings aren't just subject to Richmond fans. I just want to walk into the G with my kids, have a couple beers and watch my team. The AFL are a bullshit organisation and are out of touch with the community, we're not all "woke" idiots.

Sorry guys. NaturalDisaster Muddiemoose delete this if you want but I think my thoughts are justified
You're a Melbourne supporter mate. Clearly not ALL your thoughts are justified -- or even rationally explicable! :)

On the money about the rest though!

Would you be making this thread if we won? I doubt it.

Richmond won but the stand rule is awful. It's not in the spirit of the game and is ugly af.

The game was already fairly ugly.

The corona stuff is a joke, totally stuffing the fans around.

Behavior inspectors hammering fans and secret police watching people via cameras consistently.

Food and drink sucks.

Richmond won but the stand rule is awful. It's not in the spirit of the game and is ugly af.

The game was already fairly ugly.

The corona stuff is a joke, totally stuffing the fans around.

Behavior inspectors hammering fans and secret police watching people via cameras consistently.

Food and drink sucks.

I'm happy to turn off the TV once a Stand 50 creates a goal - I'll not watch it no matter the game. Got through a couple of games, but not many. Have better things to do with my time if the game can't be run properly.

I'm happy to turn off the TV once a Stand 50 creates a goal - I'll not watch it no matter the game. Got through a couple of games, but not many. Have better things to do with my time if the game can't be run properly.
Goals = advertising $$$
The rule changes are all about this.
So multiple rule changes to help the defence get the ball out to their forward line.
Stand / umpire dissent 50m for goals
Forwards getting more free kicks.. arm chop/ hold the jumper which often don't get paid to defenders.
Push in the back not paid when forwards do it.. extreme finally highlighted last weekend but been going on for years, and getting worse.
6-6-6... Forwards need their space

I'm sure they have deliberated a netball type zone for two players only - one forward/defender.

Tell me another sport that has as many rule changes. Cricket hasn't changed. I don't follow: soccer / basketball / baseball/American football/hockey that closely but when I do watch, it looks the same as 20 years ago.

Goals = advertising $$$
The rule changes are all about this.
So multiple rule changes to help the defence get the ball out to their forward line.
Stand / umpire dissent 50m for goals
Forwards getting more free kicks.. arm chop/ hold the jumper which often don't get paid to defenders.
Push in the back not paid when forwards do it.. extreme finally highlighted last weekend but been going on for years, and getting worse.
6-6-6... Forwards need their space

I'm sure they have deliberated a netball type zone for two players only - one forward/defender.

Tell me another sport that has as many rule changes. Cricket hasn't changed. I don't follow: soccer / basketball / baseball/American football/hockey that closely but when I do watch, it looks the same as 20 years ago.

MMMMmmm, not sure if you are pro the changes or not - is that you SHocking?;)
:D

It's hard to tell exactly how many people like me it is disenfranchising - maybe the majority love it all - and if they do, they have got a new game (largely speaking), and if you believe in the thin edge of the wedge theory, and if this isn't pushed back on, there is going to be more of this stuff.

Just stating it is not for me, games are quite literally decided by umpires with these newer rules. Men or women doing it part-time (umpires) to men and women doing it full-time (players). It was great we won against the Bulldogs, those two (2nd term I think) 50's did it for me - I turned off. Wife was shocked. Perhaps it's because I played for 30 years and can't stomach that anymore - it's just wrong.

Put simply on the one rule alone, the protected zone is too large in relation to the penalty, or, the penalty is too large in relation to the size of the protected zone. The men (women) in white don't call play-on quickly enough to make the contest equal enough - they probably can't. They were sufficiently inept before the new rules, the new rules exacerbate it.

Last season saw less goals, the AFL's own goal as called by you DICB, means it is a fail. It might improve this season, let's see as the season gets deep.

I'll keep turning off the set at every game winning/changing 50, won't go to a game until commonsense prevails. That's all I can do as one person. If enough people do likewise (or do even more), then good. If not, I've been pleasantly surprised how comforting it is to walk away for that sort of s**t mid game - and I get more done at work and home. Win / win for me at least.

MMMMmmm, not sure if you are pro the changes or not - is that you SHocking?;)
:D

It's hard to tell exactly how many people like me it is disenfranchising - maybe the majority love it all - and if they do, they have got a new game (largely speaking), and if you believe in the thin edge of the wedge theory, and if this isn't pushed back on, there is going to be more of this stuff.

Just stating it is not for me, games are quite literally decided by umpires with these newer rules. Men or women doing it part-time (umpires) to men and women doing it full-time (players). It was great we won against the Bulldogs, those two (2nd term I think) 50's did it for me - I turned off. Wife was shocked. Perhaps it's because I played for 30 years and can't stomach that anymore - it's just wrong.

Put simply on the one rule alone, the protected zone is too large in relation to the penalty, or, the penalty is too large in relation to the size of the protected zone. The men (women) in white don't call play-on quickly enough to make the contest equal enough - they probably can't. They were sufficiently inept before the new rules, the new rules exacerbate it.

Last season saw less goals, the AFL's own goal as called by you DICB, means it is a fail. It might improve this season, let's see as the season gets deep.

I'll keep turning off the set at every game winning/changing 50, won't go to a game until commonsense prevails. That's all I can do as one person. If enough people do likewise (or do even more), then good. If not, I've been pleasantly surprised how comforting it is to walk away for that sort of s**t mid game - and I get more done at work and home. Win / win for me at least.
Yeah.. you have missed where I was coming from. I agree with you completely. Each year they have stepped up their efforts to increase the scoring as it wasn't working. Now the umpires have rules they can now work with to ensure the goals happen. It's frustrating as hell. Imagine how the players are feeling. I still like watching oppo games though, and watch quarters or halves of most games, but shake my head at what's going on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back