Bazz_27

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LFC,
Congrats to a bloke that has stuck around despite a significant amount of adversity (in football)

The article the club put up is a great one, it was good to re-live some of his early work and promise. Pity for him he couldn't have had a better run with injuries but a massive credit to get to 100 games after doing 2 knees and being nowhere 2 years ago.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2018-04-26/a-ton-of-time

"Nine years, 10 months and 14 days.

That’s how long Adelaide utility Andy Otten has had to wait between his AFL debut and game 100.

Few players have waited, or rather persisted, longer.

Dual Essendon premiership defender Dean Wallis holds the post-World War II record, taking 11 years and 57 days to notch 100 matches.

To put Otten’s journey into perspective, some members of his 2007 draft class including Richmond captain Trent Cotchin (203) and Geelong star Harry Taylor (230) have already passed the double ton."

reminds me of trent hentschel - never the same after the knees. its such a shame. but to get to 100 games is an outstanding milestone

Can't forget how good he was in just his second year. Devastating when he did his knee the first time.

Geez seeing that video made me realise just how long he has been at the AFC.

His team mates his debut year included, Goodwin, McLeod and Edwards. Gosh I miss those blue chip players. :(

I didnt even realise 400kay was with him as well. :$

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide

His team mates his debut year included, Goodwin, McLeod and Edwards. Gosh I miss those blue chip players. :(

2009 I was real excited about the future. Otten, Tippett, Dangerfield, Knights, Walker, Hentschel, even Porps. What a bunch of young guns!

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
It really is a great story that be got to 100 games.

Was on track to be an elite player. But still a massive asset to our club.

I hope he stays for a few more years as both a depth player and leader of the SANFL team. He would be a great person to chat with for young guys when they feel everything is going against them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MattyB_76

Club Legend
Apr 21, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redlegs, Yankees, Fulham FC
I don't know what it is about Otto, but whenever I see him celebrate a goal on the field (his or team mates') he always looks so happy just to be there. Co-incidentally just at that moment ... my lounge room gets all dusty or smoky and something flies into my eyes.

Like many have said, his selection is not always looked upon with agreement, but I'm always happy seeing him run around in the guernsey.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Congratulations to Andy Otten. A massive tale of perseverance.

I actually expected him to leave as a free agent at the end of last year as I think he could be in the best 22 each week at another club, due to his ability to play forward, back and pinch hit in the ruck. So props to him for sticking with the Crows and wanting to fight for a spot in the team.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
He's had every reason to be bitter for the cards he's been dealt in his career but has never seemed so.

Took what would have been one of the most famous marks in Crows' history in the 2009 semi final only to have the umpire ping Rutten for a hold. Runner up in the Rising Star in 2009 and training with the midfield group the next preseason - bang, first ACL. It's hard to imagine watching him now but he was so agile in that season running out of defence, side-stepping out of tricky situations.

Since then has battled to get back to a degree and also did his knee again. Fringe player since feeding on scraps but has never seemed outwardly frustrated. Lost his agility but has turned himself into a jack of all trades who can chip in anywhere.

Right place, right time in 2012 and 2017 so got to play in some big finals matches for us. At least a small reward for what he's had to endure.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thoroughly deserves to play 100 games of AFL footy. It's such a shame that he was cut down by injuries considering how damn good he was when he started.

I actually don't mind our management of Otten (last week's strange selection aside). He's been kept on as a depth option and pulled out when we've needed him. He's very reliable to fill a gap in the list and plays his heart out every chance he gets.

Well done Andy :thumbsu:

his first year was the first year roo wasn't in our team!

Back