Congrats Port Adelaide 2020 McClelland Trophy Winners!

Remove this Banner Ad

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
Congratulations to Port Adelaide Minor Premiers and McClelland Trophy winners!

Also a big congrats to Ken Hinkley a great Geelong man! 👍👍
Its the minor prize, but it’s an accomplishment in itself.
4th time in our 24 AFL years, but the strike rate to premierships needs improving.

Doesn't get the recognition that other sports (with finals) give it, but that’s the Australian way.

PowerForGood

10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The poisoned chalice. Not since Hawthorn in 2013 has the minor premier won the big prize. Deserves recognition, but Port are welcome to it.
it’s no guarantee, but hardly poisoned. The sample sizes aren‘t big, but if you used them then 1st is still the best ticket to a GF it seems. And you wouldn’t think that 3rd and 4th are that different, would you? But 4th is awful, and 5th hasnt made a GF in that time. So Geelong and WCoast are gone? Hardly.

Last 20 seasons
1st: 6 flags, 8 runner up
2nd: 7 flags, 5 runner up
3rd: 6 flags, 4 runner up
4th: 0 flags, 2 runner up
rest: 1 flag, 1 runner up.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
it’s no guarantee, but hardly poisoned. The sample sizes aren‘t big, but if you used them then 1st is still the best ticket to a GF it seems. And you wouldn’t think that 3rd and 4th are that different, would you? But 4th is awful, and 5th hasnt made a GF in that time. So Geelong and WCoast are gone? Hardly.

Last 20 seasons
1st: 6 flags, 8 runner up
2nd: 7 flags, 5 runner up
3rd: 6 flags, 4 runner up
4th: 0 flags, 2 runner up
rest: 1 flag, 1 runner up.

True that pole position is historically the best position in the race. I'm just allowing a little superstition to enter... out of the past four years, the best we've travelled entering finals was 2018 - the minor premiership/Mason Cox year. Then there was 1982, when we were the best team in it.

Surely 2002-03 hasn't been completely erased from memory? And the percentages of the past three minor premiers were very similar to Port's. Creepy...

Last edited:
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
There's often no real benefit to finishing first over second, and pending match ups there's often no real benefit to finishing top 2 over 3rd or 4th. See Richmond 2017, Collingwood 2019. Sydney vs GWS in 2016 was the only time two non-Vic sides from the same state have finished top 4 and met in a QF.

That said, it's still a good achievement to finish top after 22 (or 17 games), especially if you are #1 for the entire season.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
There's often no real benefit to finishing first over second, and pending match ups there's often no real benefit to finishing top 2 over 3rd or 4th. See Richmond 2017, Collingwood 2019. Sydney vs GWS in 2016 was the only time two non-Vic sides from the same state have finished top 4 and met in a QF.

That said, it's still a good achievement to finish top after 22 (or 17 games), especially if you are #1 for the entire season.
Also because 2nd gets the easier prelim final. Little quirk of the system.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Imagine if they combined the Marathon and the 100 metre sprint in the Tokyo 2021 Olympics.

Once the first runner finishes the marathon leg you have 10 minutes to cross the line.
Those that do line up in single file perpendicular to the starting line and at the 10 minute mark the gun is fired and its a race to the 100m line to win the gold medal.

We are a weird mob but I'm going to damn well enjoy this final series, every single game of it.

Thanks giggler, now its time for the sprint :)

Last edited:

PowerForGood

10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
True that pole position is historically the best position in the race. I'm just allowing a little superstition to enter... out of the past four years, the best we've travelled entering finals was 2018 - the minor premiership/Mason Cox year. Then there was 1982, when we were the best team in it.

Surely 2002-03 hasn't been completely erased from memory? And the percentages of the past three minor premiers were very similar to Port's. Creepy...
Of course, any Port fan will tell you that 2002-3 hurt. But the idea that its better to not finish top is funny.

Anyway, I don't mind when fans of clubs in the mix bring this stuff up, hell even I don't really believe we'll win the flag.
But when the Adelaide media is kicking off the finals by focusing on the same stat you've highlighted, it's clear that people don't want us to win. And I'm not entirely sure why.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
But when the Adelaide media is kicking off the finals by focusing on the same stat you've highlighted, it's clear that people don't want us to win. And I'm not entirely sure why.

True that nobody has been pushing Port’s barrow during the year. It’s a little bizarre. Without looking at the match-ups there must be some chance of a Port v Richmond GF, with most Adelaide supporters ironically hoping Richmond can save them from a summer of misery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PowerForGood

10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
True that nobody has been pushing Port’s barrow during the year. It’s a little bizarre. Without looking at the match-ups there must be some chance of a Port v Richmond GF, with most Adelaide supporters ironically hoping Richmond can save them from a summer of misery.
I think if Port and Richmond get opposite results first week (win and loss, or vice versa) then win from there, PA v Rich Grand Final*
*EDIT: Actually we're on opposite sides of the finals draw, so just win through required.

* followed by a small COVID outbreak in Qld, moving the GF to Adelaide Oval. :)

Last edited:
May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Imagine if they combined the Marathon and the 100 metre sprint in the Tokyo 2021 Olympics.

Once the first runner finishes the marathon leg you have 10 minutes to cross the line.
Those that do line up in single file perpendicular to the starting line and at the 10 minute mark the gun is fired and its a race to the 100m line to win the gold medal.

We are a weird mob but I'm going to damn well enjoy this final series, every single game of it.

Thanks giggler, now its time for the sprint :)

Well - imagine they lined up all 84 entrants for the 100m at the same time and just fired the gun. Might be an interesting race.............

Instead, they have qualifying races, and at the end the Top 8 go to the final.

Just like the AFL.

Teal Leviathan

Debutant
Aug 14, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The stat about it being the first season since Essendon in 2000 where a given team has been top of the ladder at the conclusion of each round across an entire season is an interesting one, particularly given that there was rarely daylight between Brisbane and ourselves.

The largest variable would seem to be the early rounds where there are often several teams with the same W/L record. You have to win those early games big to get ahead of the pack -- at the end of Round 4 Port was running at a faintly ridiculous 236%, apparently the highest percentage of any team at that point in the season in the AFL era -- and then, obviously, not lose many games thereafter. Of course we did drop several games in the end, but held on to top spot courtesy of stumbles from other teams contending for the crown, often against each other. I recall being grateful on a couple of occasions throughout the season for the carnage unfolding immediately below Port on the ladder.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Port premiers Adelaide spoon. That would be fun for Port supporters for about a decade.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Their summer of misery is all self-inflicted. They have the local media to suckle them though.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
The stat about it being the first season since Essendon in 2000 where a given team has been top of the ladder at the conclusion of each round across an entire season is an interesting one, particularly given that there was rarely daylight between Brisbane and ourselves.

The largest variable would seem to be the early rounds where there are often several teams with the same W/L record. You have to win those early games big to get ahead of the pack -- at the end of Round 4 Port was running at a faintly ridiculous 236%, apparently the highest percentage of any team at that point in the season in the AFL era -- and then, obviously, not lose many games thereafter. Of course we did drop several games in the end, but held on to top spot courtesy of stumbles from other teams contending for the crown, often against each other. I recall being grateful on a couple of occasions throughout the season for the carnage unfolding immediately below Port on the ladder.
Port's first 3 games were Gold Coast, Freo and Adelaide.

I always think that getting a good start to the year is an advantage for a middle of the table side - it creates that atmosphere of 'we can win any game'.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Sack Hinkley

He has stuck it up his critics so far this season! But I'm just happy for him because similar to what Hardwick and Thompson at Geelong went through he had to put up with a lot of crap from all fronts but has stuck to his guns and won through.. So far, Season isn't over yet of course. But nothing short of going out in straight sets will be the only way to dent that.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
congrats port.

the mclelland should be more valued than it is.

everyone who played a game for the club should get a medal and there should be a financial benefit for the club and the players.

the club should also get s flag to fly for the year.

I don't think it should go to that extreme but perhaps a short presentation with the Captain and Coach to present the trophy before the next match might give it some good recognition.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Congrats Port.

I had you stuck in the usual 7th to 11th area at the start of the year but leading the comp for the whole year is a great achievement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back