Remove this Banner Ad

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
I have yet to see a thread just congratulating Richmond for a job well done. As a hardcore WC fan, it hurts to give up the premiership but the Tigers have been the best team since the bye and are deserved winners. Personally, I think the WC gave you a scare a few rounds ago and it would have been a more epic final to see a rematch, but WC didnt have it in them this year. So be it. Tigers are the best side in 2019 and heres a toast.

It's hard to back up 2 years in a row. Eagles a great side but not quite there in 2019. Tigers were hungry and dominant after the bye, easily the best team with a close to full side.

Next year wide open again, but we've enjoyed the last 3 years.

Have to say that fortune slightly favoured Richmond this year. Last year, when assessing the failure in the prelim, Hardwick basically said - 'We got our timing wrong'. Richmond had started dropping off 5-6 weeks before the finals, and just limped through the end of the season until the inevitable. In fact, rather like Geelong this year. I think in 2019, the early injuries, the throwing around the players (is Stack a HBF or HFF? How do we structure the ruck without Nankervis? How do we cover the Rance role? Is Baker a forward or defender? Lynch/Riewoldt?) meant we were never settled. As it turned out, the injuries resolved themselves at perfect times, the bye was good, we had worked out team structure AND - we had a nice run of games at the end (did anyone notice we had 7 games in a row at the MCG:cool:).

If those injuries had not all resolved so nicely, and the 7-in-a-row had happened at a different time of the year, we might have disappeared in September without a whimper.

Having said we were fortunate in the timing, the coaching/medical staff did brilliantly in making it all work. Sure, it all came together at the right time, but they still had to make it work.

There are 2 keys to winning the premiiership in the AFL.

1. Win enough games to make the finals.
2. Be the best side in September.

It's hard to back up 2 years in a row. Eagles a great side but not quite there in 2019. Tigers were hungry and dominant after the bye, easily the best team with a close to full side.

Next year wide open again, but we've enjoyed the last 3 years.
Eagles only played one game where they put in a 4 quarter effort all year.

Amazing how many wins they chalked up by playing a good quarter n half.

Think Eagles best is the best but accounts for bugger all if you cant consistently do it for 4 quarters.

Congrats on the win !

Congrats Richmond. Was my least favourite Grand Final, but hardly your fault. Extremely deserved, and the OP is right that Richmond maybe deserved a bit more board recognition which the one-sided game didn't necessarily afford.

Some long-suffering Tigers fans might disagree, but this 2nd flag after a strong 3 years puts their 80s-00s travails well in the past now.

I have yet to see a thread just congratulating Richmond for a job well done. As a hardcore WC fan, it hurts to give up the premiership but the Tigers have been the best team since the bye and are deserved winners. Personally, I think the WC gave you a scare a few rounds ago and it would have been a more epic final to see a rematch, but WC didnt have it in them this year. So be it. Tigers are the best side in 2019 and heres a toast.
Yep that WCE game and the cats prelim were the two games in the run-in where we were really pressed. Meeting the Pies in a final would have been an interesting proposition too imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very classy of you mate. Not surprisingly you're an eagles fan. :thumbsu:

Thank you. Good luck next season.

Thanks Coaster2012 and good luck to the Eagles next year.

That Hawthorn v WCE game turned the season on its head, I was sure it was going to be Richmond v WCE would have been a great clash but I was more than happy to be able to have a few relaxed beers yesterday and enjoy the win, although it wasnt a great spectacle.

Pre season then its starts all over hopefully we dig up enough talent to keep us there abouts.

Congrats to the Tigers.

Always a hard thing to do, so it's a great credit to your ENTIRE Club.

Was hoping for a good close game of football , alas it was not to be.

I was particularly thrilled for Pickett.

I though that you regained your hunger and desperation in the last two months, something sadly that my team never recaptured after last years victory.

As has been mentioned in some of the post above timing and good management play a huge part in winning the big dance and an element of luck.

Looking forward to competing against the Tigers next year as they will be the benchmark.

You have set the challenge for all other 17 Clubs ............ catch us if you can.

Well done and enjoy the victory.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back