Toast Congratulations Harry McKay - 2021 Coleman Medallist 🏅

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
CHB or fwd ruck best position at the moment .
but surrounded by the dumbest and worst group of small fwds in history

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
He's had to evolve his game to play further afield and his confidence & output has been impacted as a result.
We have two of the top half dozen full forwards in the competition. It really shouldn't be so hard to create a damaging forward unit around them, yet here we are..

Gw2_James

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't understand how a guy who has become the best forward 2 yrs ago, can be so down on confidence. He knows hes the best of the best, he proved it, how does someone like that lose it?

kreuze_missile

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Jun 9, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
McKay was fantastic at the #1 target, but has regressed massively when relegated to the second option behind Curnow.

IMO Carlton's forward line was more effective when Curnow wasn't playing and McKay was the sole #1 target.

Feb 16, 2013
Where the sun don't shine
AFL Club
Carlton
McKay was fantastic at the #1 target, but has regressed massively when relegated to the second option behind Curnow.

IMO Carlton's forward line was more effective when Curnow wasn't playing and McKay was the sole #1 target.
I may be thick but this makes no sense to me. No one is asking him to win a Coleman or kick 10 every week (although it would be nice), at this stage I would be satisfied if he just converted the regulation shots he is presented with. Right now, he can't hit the side of a barn and that has nothing to do with Charlie.

Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Think H works reasonably well with Charlie. It's when TDK is in the forward line as well that things go bad. So many times last night we had two of our key forwards (usually H and TDK) flying for the ball, along with both their opponents. Inevitably, the ball hit the ground and our small forwards were nowhere to be found, and the ball was whisked away.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
I may be thick but this makes no sense to me. No one is asking him to win a Coleman or kick 10 every week (although it would be nice), at this stage I would be satisfied if he just converted the regulation shots he is presented with. Right now, he can't hit the side of a barn and that has nothing to do with Charlie.

Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

He's a star but sadly his confidence is completely shot.

He'll come good. I'm not a fan of revising history or calling players something they're clearly not when they're simply in a rut. It happens to the best of them.

GoBlues!

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Not really. Harry kicked 58.33 when he won the Coleman in 2021. He kicked 45.31 last year when Charlie won the Coleman kicking 64.42 - so there was no issue and they were one of the most effective forward combos if not best last year.

After 11 games Harry has kicked 14.16 this year. His goal kicking efficiency has steadily decreased since winning the Coleman from around 2:1 to 1.5:1 to 1:1 this year. He needs to build his confidence back up. I’m sure he’s frustrated and trying his best to fix it, maybe a couple of games in the VFL might help like it did with Weiters a few years ago.

31D2B2B4-ADE0-49AC-8E3A-89EB6CE44049.png

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I feel like he needs a break from footy for a couple of weeks (vacation etc)

He simply has looked off the boil all season, and his body language to me looks like he is carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.

A nice holiday where it's warm (like Noosa etc) where he can unwind and forget about footy and his current kicking yips could do the world of good for him and his well being.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I feel like he needs a break from footy for a couple of weeks (vacation etc)

He simply has looked off the boil all season, and his body language to me looks like he is carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.

A nice holiday where it's warm (like Noosa etc) where he can unwind and forget about footy and his current kicking yips could do the world of good for him and his well being.
Was thinking the same. Give him a rest before the bye. Let him take two week away from Melbourne. Go somewhere sunny

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Was thinking the same. Give him a rest before the bye. Let him take two week away from Melbourne. Go somewhere sunny

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Send him up here. Nice quiet beaches, but cool for us locals, but southerners would lap it up. I’ll sort him out. One lefty to another(kicking was my strength a few decades ago). Was going to say I’d get in his ear, but realistically couldn’t reach.

Not sure he needs a break though. Play Charlie up the ground and give him “the paddock”. You da man Harry, and he will be…

Oct 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
He's had to evolve his game to play further afield and his confidence & output has been impacted as a result.
We have two of the top half dozen full forwards in the competition. It really shouldn't be so hard to create a damaging forward unit around them, yet here we are..
This, in my opinion is our biggest concern.

Spot on this. Confidence has been hit as the teammate that finds him the best on the lead is Charlie. I believe if he had confidence in the kick into F5O a lot of the yips would settle down. Supply would be consistent and he'd know when/where it was coming from. Without it it exacerbates his weaknesses.

We truly haven't even got a half forward line, Owies isn't impactful enough, Durds has gone missing for most of the year (no confidence either) and Motlop tries hard but is a year or so away from playing electric football

I wish they'd throw caution to the wind. Zac Fisher, you're back in the side. You're a half forward who goes down to the wing. Your primary responsibility is half forward playmaking and to apply pressure defensively. You'll come up short at times but that's okay., It's better than what we have now.

Again, would also like to reposition Saad given our stacked backline (Doc, Newman, Boyd and a medium is enough with another rotation) but his skill set is ideal for giving us what we lack and he's one of the few with the kicking ability to lace it out to Charlie and Harry.
.Get Kennedy into the guts or forward of centre.

SpiritOfCarlton

All Australian
Nov 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Even the greatest of all, Tony Lockett had ups and downs. Here is a great interview where he talks about goalkicking and what to do when it wanes.

Back