POTY Congratulations Isaac Heeney! - 2018 BigFooty Swans Player of the Year

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 23
Sydney 10.14 (74) def. by Hawthorn 12.11 (83)

5 votes
George Hewett

24 disposals w/ 19 contested, 12 clearances, 6 tackles, 4 inside 50s, 1 goal assist, 71% disposal efficiency

624804.jpg

4 votes
Harry Cunningham

18 disposals w/ 7 contested, 6 tackles, 4 inside 50s, 1 goal, 72% disposal efficiency

590639.jpg

3 votes
Jarrad McVeigh

18 disposals w/ 5 contested, 5 marks, 8 rebound 50s, 89% disposal efficiency

624916.jpg

2 votes
Callum Sinclair

15 disposals w/ 6 contested, 6 marks, 8 hitouts to advantage, 1 goals, 53% disposal efficiency

624949.jpg

1 vote
Isaac Heeney

18 disposals w/ 11 contested, 4 clearances, 9 tackles, 2 goals, 1 goal assist, 72% disposal efficiency

624683.jpg

Full votes tally:
George Hewett (62)
Harry Cunningham (55)
Jarrad McVeigh (34)
Callum Sinclair (26)
Isaac Heeney (21)

Jake Lloyd (17)
Heath Grundy (5)
Josh Kennedy (3)
Tom Papley (2)

Young Player of the Week:
George Hewett
24 disposals w/ 19 contested, 12 clearances, 6 tackles, 4 inside 50s, 1 goal assist, 71% disposal efficiency

625843.jpg

Elimination Final
Sydney 4.6 (30) def. by GWS 10.19 (79)

5 votes
Luke Parker

21 disposals w/ 8 contested, 6 marks, 9 tackles, 1 goal, 48% disposal efficiency

628311.jpg

4 votes
Aliir Aliir

15 disposals w/ 5 contested, 8 marks, 6 rebound 50s, 5 spoils, 87% disposal efficiency

628134.jpg

3 votes
Tom Papley

17 disposals w/ 9 contested, 5 marks, 4 clearances, 4 inside 50s, 2 goals, 82% disposal efficiency

628523.jpg

2 votes
Harry Cunningham

25 disposals w/ 5 contested, 7 marks, 5 tackles, 84% disposal efficiency

628231.jpg

1 vote
Dan Hannebery

24 disposals w/ 10 contested, 8 marks, 5 clearances, 5 inside 50s, 54% disposal efficiency

628533.jpg

Full votes tally:
Luke Parker (51)
Aliir Aliir (46)
Tom Papley (41)
Harry Cunningham (16)
Dan Hannebery (10)

Nic Newman (9)
George Hewett (7)
Jarrad McVeigh (5)
Zak Jones (5)
Josh Kennedy (4)
Heath Grundy (4)
Isaac Heeney (4)
Ben Ronke (3)
Callum Sinclair (2)
Dane Rampe (2)
Oliver Florent (1)

Young Player of the Week:
Tom Papley
17 disposals w/ 9 contested, 5 marks, 4 clearances, 4 inside 50s, 2 goals, 82% disposal efficiency

628251.jpg

Wow! We voted Heeney as player of the year? I mean I love him and all, and expect him to win pretty much every year from 2021 to 2025, but this wasn't his best year imo...

George Hewett was a stand out and totally deserved YPOTY!

EDIT: scaryness, thanks once again for all you do for our entertainment and our little Swans community!

Wow! We voted Heeney as player of the year? I mean I love him and all, and expect him to win pretty much every year from 2021 to 2025, but this wasn't his best year imo...

EDIT: scaryness, thanks once again for all you do for our entertainment and our little Swans community!

We didn't really have a consistent standout gun this year. The winner has always hit the 50 mark in the years I have been doing it, Heeney won it with only 43 total points.

Franklin probably would have won if not for his injury, Parker could have won it if he played Round 23.

Who knows?

This wasn’t Heeney’s best year? I thought it was by a mile. He’s not yet tearing games apart, but he still put together his most comprehensive season yet.

an indictment on our team that a player who went missing for large chunks of the season and within large chunks of games is our player of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great work scaryness! :thumbsu:

I thought Isaac had a pretty consistent season. His most consistent thus far IMO anyway.

His shift into defence (I assume covering for Mills a bit) was what seemed to help him this season I reckon. It seems whoever we throw down back tends to come out of it a better player &/or finding form/consistency. This is a real credit to our defensive leaders IMO (Reg, Smitty & Ramps).

Obvious highlight was his MOTY contender. In fact, he tore that game apart IMO. Really outstanding signs of what is to come. I am super excited for 2019 already.

It's interesting to ignore the middle range and compare just the top and bottom contributors. I'd hope we can get a much more even contribution in 2019. The bottom nine players had a fairly flat year or were limited due to injury or both. That placed a lot of weight on the shoulders of the top nine.

Dane Rampe (5)
Will Hayward (4)
Callum Mills (3)
Kieren Jack (2)
Nick Smith (2)
Dan Hannebery (1)
Nic Newman (1)
Sam Reid (1)
Sam Naismith (0)

Isaac Heeney (43) - Covered midfield as well as being a marking target up forward. Sometimes shifted to defence late in games.The complete performer.
Luke Parker (42) - Played more forward in the absence of Sinclair/Reid. Sorely needed in the midfield.
Lance Franklin (37) - Stood up despite a persistent heel injury. Unable to properly train. Needs a tall foil or two desperately.
Josh Kennedy (36) - Seemed to lift the entire midfield on his shoulders for much of the year.
Callum Sinclair (27) - Undersized forward/ruck who was forced to do far more than just pinch hit in the ruck. Superb effort.
Aliir Aliir (26) - Recaptured the form of late 2016 but looks to have found a better balance betwen flair and discipline
George Hewett (23) - Much underrated. Shut down Tom Mitchell and a host of top great players
Jake Lloyd (19) - Huge season from Jake in an undermanned defence. Deserved his B&F.
Jarrad McVeigh (16) - He just endures and adds such incredible polish to our defence.

It's interesting to ignore the middle range and compare just the top and bottom contributors. I'd hope we can get a much more even contribution in 2019. The bottom nine players had a fairly flat year or were limited due to injury or both. That placed a lot of weight on the shoulders of the top nine.

Dane Rampe (5)
Will Hayward (4)
Callum Mills (3)
Kieren Jack (2)
Nick Smith (2)
Dan Hannebery (1)
Nic Newman (1)
Sam Reid (1)
Sam Naismith (0)

Isaac Heeney (43) - Covered midfield as well as being a marking target up forward. Sometimes shifted to defence late in games.The complete performer.
Luke Parker (42) - Played more forward in the absence of Sinclair/Reid. Sorely needed in the midfield.
Lance Franklin (37) - Stood up despite a persistent heel injury. Unable to properly train. Needs a tall foil or two desperately.
Josh Kennedy (36) - Seemed to lift the entire midfield on his shoulders for much of the year.
Callum Sinclair (27) - Undersized forward/ruck who was forced to do far more than just pinch hit in the ruck. Superb effort.
Aliir Aliir (26) - Recaptured the form of late 2016 but looks to have found a better balance betwen flair and discipline
George Hewett (23) - Much underrated. Shut down Tom Mitchell and a host of top great players
Jake Lloyd (19) - Huge season from Jake in an undermanned defence. Deserved his B&F.
Jarrad McVeigh (16) - He just endures and adds such incredible polish to our defence.

Good points in an interesting comparison. One point of note was how the Board's votes differed from those of the Club on Lloyd.

The low votes for Hanners and KJ were telling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back