Toast Congratulations Jack Silvagni - 'It's just a game of football' ...

Remove this Banner Ad

I commented pre-draft that he looked like the smoothest, cleanest player we looked at drafting since menzel. I couldn't believe people were talking about him as a third rounder! What a great job the club did making sure he didn't play tac cup till so late.
We needed to give up a second round selection for him but he was lucky to deserve a rookie spot, such was the strange, paranoid speculation regarding his sudden arrival in the under 18s.

This kids going to be a really good player. His got really good clean hands and has really picked up the pace of senior AFL footy very quickly.
He would be tearing TAC cup footy apart if he didn't nominate for the draft last year.:p

Sunday was the first time I've been able to see Jack play and it's hard not to be impressed.

He's still young and has a lot of development left in him, but already he looks a natural footballer who ticks just about every box.

Moves beautifully across the ground and you can tell he's a smart footballer because he makes himself dangerous. Good mark for his size. Competes well when the ball is in the area. Skills look fine...but his kicking for goal needs a bit of work.

I didn't expect to see him at senior level this year but he earned his chance with strong performances at VFL level and he doesn't seem at all fazed by the step up in intensity or physicality. Obviously needs to get stronger but that will happen naturally over the years.

Very pleasantly surprised by the impact he's having so early in his career. In a season full of these "green shoots" he's right up there near the top of the tree. Looking forward to seeing him more this year and beyond.

Sunday was the first time I've been able to see Jack play and it's hard not to be impressed.

He's still young and has a lot of development left in him, but already he looks a natural footballer who ticks just about every box.

Moves beautifully across the ground and you can tell he's a smart footballer because he makes himself dangerous. Good mark for his size. Competes well when the ball is in the area. Skills look fine...but his kicking for goal needs a bit of work.

I didn't expect to see him at senior level this year but he earned his chance with strong performances at VFL level and he doesn't seem at all fazed by the step up in intensity or physicality. Obviously needs to get stronger but that will happen naturally over the years.

Very pleasantly surprised by the impact he's having so early in his career. In a season full of these "green shoots" he's right up there near the top of the tree. Looking forward to seeing him more this year and beyond.

He seems a good kick for goal to me when ive seen him...nice simple fluent action.

Apart from the shank from outside 50m, even in all his other misses this year he's struck them pretty nicely and they didnt miss by much.

And all the shots he took in his first game and before he kicked his first AFL goal would have been under immense pressure just from expectation and the Carlton crowd.

Don't get this at all. Beautiful technique.

No better way to start a Toast thread than with KohPhi 's amazing post :clapping:...............

It's just a game of football dad!!

I remember saying that (in hindsight I really hope I only thought it) when my dad took me to a game in the mid 80's to watch The Mighty Blues..
I was 17, loved watching the Blues but at that stage didn't really appreciate any of the club's rich history.

"Keep an eye out for this player" my dad said, "His name is Stephen Silvagni, I watched his father Serge play and what a player he was", my dad said as we watched a young Steve Silvagni debut. Then my dad proceeded to tell me about Serge and what a beautiful player he was. This then lead into stories about how he and his "wog" mates from Drummond St went to the footy and how they knew the Cattogios growing up and would then go into stories about my mum's cousins who were brilliant boxers and about their boxing gym etc etc.. I could literally set a clock to exactly what he was going to say as I'd heard it so many times!

"Ahh Cmon dad,the game's about to start let's just watch the footy" would be my response. "It's just a game of football" I'd think as I tucked into my mordadella sandwich that mum had packed for us.

On Saturday, I am going to the footy with my 16 year old daughter. We do this together 2 or 3 times a season. She follows the Blues, but prefers the Storm but hey, it's quality time with my baby girl so I'll take it when it comes!!

This Saturday though is different. On Saturday, I will watch another Silvagni debut and I will be telling my little girl "keep an eye out for this kid Jack Silvagni, I watched his dad play, what a player he was" and will no doubt start telling her stories of SOS's greatness. Mark of year, his heroics in the 95 finals series and trying to explain how the Fullback of the Century also kicked 200 goals! Then ill go into my usual stories of how me and my cricket mates would go into the Past Players room after a game and rub shoulders with Carlton greats etc etc..

"Dad shut up and let's just watch the footy" she will say.

Knowing my daughter "What's his name again, he is pretty cute".. will no doubt come out at some stage as she watches a young Jack Silvagni run around.

So why will Saturday be special? We will see the boy of a revered Blue debut, I will get to spend quality time with my girl at the footy and football, or more specifically The Carlton Football Club will again give me so much more than I have ever given it.

At some stage Saturday, my daughter will see her dad, her 105kg, tattoo covered dad struggling to contain his emotions as young Jack takes his first mark and god willing kicks his first goal. As he is mobbed by his teammates and through the delirious roar of the Carlton faithful I will put my arm around my girl, think of my dad, and that game back in the mid 80's and wish I could hear his stories one more time.

"Oh my God dad, stop...you are embarrassing me"... my daughter will say as she rolls her eyes and snapchats her friends..

"It's just a game of football dad" she will say. And I'll smile, tuck into my mordadella sanga and once again, be thankful for everything my club has given me.

* Thank you KohPhi for allowing me to re-post! :handok:

bit random, but just wanted to remind people how amazing the OP post was/is......... POTY

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack is a beautiful natural kick of the T.W.Sherrin. Fatigue has more to do with his shank on the weekend. Every other miss hasn't really been that far off considering he is still building his tank.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just watched the last quarter. In the heat of the last quarter it was great to see how many times Jacks was 'in play' at key moments and just seems to know where the ball is going. Great asset.

Spot on, he's just one of those players. He knows where the ball is going and he keeps his feet. You just can't teach that kind of the stuff. Considering how skillful he is, the rest will take care of itself. Going to be a special player. Amazing we got him so cheap, some great work there from SOS and co.

Jack is a beautiful natural kick of the T.W.Sherrin. Fatigue has more to do with his shank on the weekend. Every other miss hasn't really been that far off considering he is still building his tank.
Big gust of wind right at the time Jack was ready to kick that shot from around the 50 metre arc.
Little chance he was going to kick that one in those conditions but it was a full on shank.
If he did not shank it the wind gust at time may have taken it anywhere.

Really like what I am seeing overall.

Looking forward to weeks ahead of seeing Charlie and Jack learning together up forward.

Bolts was asked about Ben and he jokingly said Ben's foot size is double his.
Kid will be a beast, possibly around a 200cm forward, which was unheard of in yesteryear but now is a lot more common.
In 2 years and 4 months he will likely be a Carlton player.
It is quite possible Jack and Ben will both be forwards for Carlton, together.
Throw in Curnow and McKay and there's the forwardline for the next 12-15 years.

We need another key defender, about 2 good ball winning onballers, about 2 good outside midfielders (we might get 1 via Petreski Seaton), probably another good half back for when Simmo retires, and at least 1 quality small forward.

Bolts was asked about Ben and he jokingly said Ben's foot size is double his.
Kid will be a beast, possibly around a 200cm forward, which was unheard of in yesteryear but now is a lot more common.
In 2 years and 4 months he will likely be a Carlton player.
It is quite possible Jack and Ben will both be forwards for Carlton, together.
Throw in Curnow and McKay and there's the forwardline for the next 12-15 years.

We need another key defender, about 2 good ball winning onballers, about 2 good outside midfielders (we might get 1 via Petreski Seaton), probably another good half back for when Simmo retires, and at least 1 quality small forward.

Getting ahead of yourself I think. We barely seen three games from young Jack and you are cementing his two brothers into our forward line for next decade and a bit. I'm here to tell you mate, that not all sons or brothers of gun players turn out to be anywhere near as good. One of both of them could be another Nathan Ablett or a David Walls or David Kernahan type. There is no guarantees they will be even be good enough to make it. I know I hope they are, but gee, give them time just to play some junior football and even get into draft pool before you pencil them in as forward guns.

Getting ahead of yourself I think. We barely seen three games from young Jack and you are cementing his two brothers into our forward line for next decade and a bit. I'm here to tell you mate, that not all sons or brothers of gun players turn out to be anywhere near as good. One of both of them could be another Nathan Ablett or a David Walls or David Kernahan type. There is no guarantees they will be even be good enough to make it. I know I hope they are, but gee, give them time just to play some junior football and even get into draft pool before you pencil them in as forward guns.

He has only put Ben in the team, not Tom.

Ben has always been touted higher than Jack as they came through the juniors and is currently fairly dominant so is tracking quite well.

Doesn't hurt anybody to hypothethise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back