Toast Vale John "Kanga" Kennedy Snr (1928-2020): AFL legend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Timmy, this is actually a tribute thread mate.

There's a time and a place for the scamper stuff.

Please let us know when and where that is whenever you find out.

No doubt the seeds were sown for the 90s dominance during Kennedy's tenure as coach. Aided by a strong Under 19s program, he debuted 47 new players in his 5 years as coach (only Ackerly, Mossop, Koop, Saggers, Ogier and Lewis came from other clubs). Admittedly different eras and different recruiting processes but in 7 years from 2013-2019 we debuted 49 players with 17 from other clubs. In Kennedy's time we were clearly under a rebuild and not 'in the window.'

Of the 47, Stevens, Martyn, Carey, Sholl, Allison, Longmire, Schwass, Rock and Crocker would all come through the Unders-19s - imagine the footy education you'd get coached by Pagan as a junior, then Kennedy as a young senior player, then Pagan again at your peak - and became club greats and provide much of the backbone on the 1996 and 1999 premierships.

As coach, his performance in 1985 to get a side who avoided the 1984 spoon by percentage to winning a final was magnificent. The 20 players that came from 6 goals down in the Elimination Final against Carlton had 8 players who began the year as 20yos or younger. 11 began the year with fewer than 50 games. (The 22 that began 2020 coming from 5 down against the Saints had two Under-20s and six under 50 games). Given the profile of the team, ending with a clean 50/50 split (55 wins, 55 losses and 3 draws) was a fair performance.

Eventually, within a couple of years whatever experience he had were done (Schimma, Greig, Glendinning) and the team wallowed around mediocrity for a few years (1988-1992) until those players blossomed as the team developed around them.

Whilst definitely a Hawthorn man, it's fitting that he's recognised for his contribution to our club. Well done Kanga.

Please let us know when and where that is whenever you find out.

No doubt the seeds were sown for the 90s dominance during Kennedy's tenure as coach. Aided by a strong Under 19s program, he debuted 47 new players in his 5 years as coach (only Ackerly, Mossop, Koop, Saggers, Ogier and Lewis came from other clubs). Admittedly different eras and different recruiting processes but in 7 years from 2013-2019 we debuted 49 players with 17 from other clubs. In Kennedy's time we were clearly under a rebuild and not 'in the window.'

Of the 47, Stevens, Martyn, Carey, Sholl, Allison, Longmire, Schwass, Rock and Crocker would all come through the Unders-19s - imagine the footy education you'd get coached by Pagan as a junior, then Kennedy as a young senior player, then Pagan again at your peak - and became club greats and provide much of the backbone on the 1996 and 1999 premierships.

As coach, his performance in 1985 to get a side who avoided the 1984 spoon by percentage to winning a final was magnificent. The 20 players that came from 6 goals down in the Elimination Final against Carlton had 8 players who began the year as 20yos or younger. 11 began the year with fewer than 50 games. (The 22 that began 2020 coming from 5 down against the Saints had two Under-20s and six under 50 games). Given the profile of the team, ending with a clean 50/50 split (55 wins, 55 losses and 3 draws) was a fair performance.

Eventually, within a couple of years whatever experience he had were done (Schimma, Greig, Glendinning) and the team wallowed around mediocrity for a few years (1988-1992) until those players blossomed as the team developed around them.

Whilst definitely a Hawthorn man, it's fitting that he's recognised for his contribution to our club. Well done Kanga.

There were a few raised eyebrows within my NMFC clan when “that Hawthorn bastard” took over. Proved to be a great appointment. What we achieved in 1985 was remarkable.

Thankfully Collingwood stuffed him around and he ended with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were a few raised eyebrows within my NMFC clan when “that Hawthorn bastard” took over. Proved to be a great appointment. What we achieved in 1985 was remarkable.

Thankfully Collingwood stuffed him around and he ended with us.

He genuinely loves the NMFC.

I remember being genuinely excited when he signed as coach. I admired him as coach of Hawthorn (even though I despise the club) and have sometimes wondered what we would have achieved in the 70's if he was coaching us? Might raise a few eyebrows, Barassi and Kennedy both great coaches, but could we have won another flag or two with Kennedy? Doesn't matter now, (and I love Barassi and what he did for us by the way), just musing. Amazing to have two of the all time great coaches at North.

And as Mastermind said, some of our all time great players from the 90's began their careers under Kennedy. 1985 was one of my favourite seasons. An overdue honour.

And as Mastermind said, some of our all time great players from the 90's began their careers under Kennedy. 1985 was one of my favourite seasons. An overdue honour.

Indeed Wels. :thumbsu:

"Kanga" blooded about half of what was to become the 1996 premiership team.

He genuinely loves the NMFC.
My (tiger) flat-mate and I were heading up to do our shopping in Bourke Road when we heard that Kanga had been appointed coach at North. Then, after parking and waiting to cross the road to go to whatever shop we were heading to - there was the man himself! My mate pointed him out and we said g'day and wished him success at the club. Fair to say he is a genuine Hawthorn bloke and always will be, but I had no doubt that during his time at North he was a there for the right reason and he was passionate about the club and the players.

There were a few raised eyebrows within my NMFC clan when “that Hawthorn bastard” took over.

Maybe he was a plant. No NMFC coach has coached more games against an opponent without ever beating them.

0/9 Bob McCaskill v Collingwood
0/9 John Kennedy v Hawthorn (1 draw)
0/7 Keith McKenzie v Collingwood
0/7 Allan Killigrew v Geelong
0/7 Allan Killigrew v St.Kilda
0/5 Dick Taylor v Geelong
0/5 Wayne Schimmelbusch v Hawthorn
0/5 Paddy Scanlan v Melbourne
0/5 Paddy Scanlan v St.Kilda
0/4 Brian Dixon v Collingwood
0/4 Paddy Scanlan v Essendon
0/4 Paddy Scanlan v Geelong
0/4 Charlie Gaudion v Geelong
0/4 Paddy Scanlan v Hawthorn
0/4 Brian Dixon v Hawthorn
0/4 Jock McCorkell v Melbourne
0/4 Brian Dixon v Melbourne (1 draw)
0/4 Brian Dixon v Richmond
0/4 Dick Taylor v South Melbourne
0/4 Paddy Scanlan v South Melbourne
0/4 Brian Dixon v St.Kilda
0/4 Jock McCorkell v Footscray

The ones in bold are all 'plants'. NMFC coaches against teams they played for. Whilst he has beaten Collingwood, if Rhyce loses his first game against the Swans in Round 3, I'll be very suspicious.

Maybe he was a plant. No NMFC coach has coached more games against an opponent without ever beating them.

0/9 Bob McCaskill v Collingwood
0/9 John Kennedy v Hawthorn (1 draw)
0/7 Keith McKenzie v Collingwood
0/7 Allan Killigrew v Geelong
0/7 Allan Killigrew v St.Kilda
0/5 Dick Taylor v Geelong
0/5 Wayne Schimmelbusch v Hawthorn
0/5 Paddy Scanlan v Melbourne
0/5 Paddy Scanlan v St.Kilda
0/4 Brian Dixon v Collingwood
0/4 Paddy Scanlan v Essendon
0/4 Paddy Scanlan v Geelong
0/4 Charlie Gaudion v Geelong
0/4 Paddy Scanlan v Hawthorn
0/4 Brian Dixon v Hawthorn
0/4 Jock McCorkell v Melbourne
0/4 Brian Dixon v Melbourne (1 draw)
0/4 Brian Dixon v Richmond
0/4 Dick Taylor v South Melbourne
0/4 Paddy Scanlan v South Melbourne
0/4 Brian Dixon v St.Kilda
0/4 Jock McCorkell v Footscray

The ones in bold are all 'plants'. NMFC coaches against teams they played for. Whilst he has beaten Collingwood, if Rhyce loses his first game against the Swans in Round 3, I'll be very suspicious.

Not sure you can call Paddy Scanlan a plant.....unless he played for Geelong, Melbourne, St. Kilda, Essendon and Hawthorn as well as Soutn. It's quite a record though.

A true legend of the sport. Single handedly resurrected a basket case and turned it in to a league power. Was crucial in developing our 90's era.

A whole new spin has gone on Sundays game now. We cannot let them thrive on the emotion.

Vale John Kennedy senior, educator of men.

1593069525407.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back