Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
7th Person to Coach Footscray/Western Bulldogs in 100 games

Record:
54 Wins, 45 Losses

Achievements:
Premiership (2016), AFLCA Coach of the Year (2015, 2016)

For Perspective:
In his 99 games as Coach thus far he has had the least experienced team on 80 occasions - 39 Wins, 41 Losses
Of the 19 times when he has had a more experienced squad at his disposal - 15 Wins, 4 Losses
20 of the 39 wins with a less experienced squad came against teams with 400+ more games, including all four finals in 2016
6 of these 20 wins came against teams with over 1000+ games more experience

Average games experience of the 8 Finals sides since Bevo started in 2015:
2015 - 2720 games
2016 - 2670 games
2017 - 2531 games
2018 - 2549 games

Teams that have made the finals with less than 2000 games experience in that time - Western Bulldogs (2015, 2016)

Times Luke Beveridge has coached a team with 2500+ games of experience - Zero (Vs Collingwood, Round 1 2017 - 2346 the highest)

Congratulations Luke, the greatest coach in the history of our proud football club.

Good post - re your comments of Bevo consistently coaching the the least experienced team, it is evident that this Bevo’s choice. I would prefer to see Trengrove, Roberts etc play, providing structure and a few more wins that simply playing young blokes (Lachie Young) who really haven’t shown a lot apart from being youthful.

Good post - re your comments of Bevo consistently coaching the the least experienced team, it is evident that this Bevo’s choice. I would prefer to see Trengrove, Roberts etc play, providing structure and a few more wins that simply playing young blokes (Lachie Young) who really haven’t shown a lot apart from being youthful.
Trengove played this week and our games experience was just over 1600. Roberts has only played 50 games so he doesnt boost it much either...we are about 800 games (or 4yrs) behind where we need to be to consistently compete for finals.

Good work Bevo.

My only question now is... in how many of those games has Bevo played blokes out of position, when mapped against the opinions of a majority of BF posters at the time of each game taking place?

Mr Stringhaus, perhaps you could map that out in a nice spreadsheet?! :D

Luke Beveridge has got to the hundred games really fast it helps if you have a good run with injury.
Oh yeah he is the coach, my bad.

Imagine how good his win/loss record would be if his players had a good run with injury?! Especially given Wally's correlation between wins and experienced teams on the park... :think:

Will always appreciate that he took us to the holy grail, something i had dreamed about forever but some of the selections since 17 have been more than baffling.

He needs to remember that the best coaches are in the stands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bev and the team performed a miracle in 2016 with our home grown team, was watching Geelong All Stars on the weekend and realised how bloody hard it is for a club like ours, thanks Bev.

Without Bev we would probably be waiting several more decades for a flag and speaking I hope, on behalf of the older contributors who have suffered so many poor, unsuccessful seasons, I will be eternally grateful that he was able to perform a miracle with a rag tag motley crew by winning a very unexpected premiership. Of course, we would have liked to see better results in recent seasons but I think we have consistently over-valued our list and it is becoming more obvious by the game that there are few very good players on our list. This doesn't absolve Bev from responsibility because his efforts to recapture the magic have so far failed. At season's end the picture should become much clearer regarding whether this signals the end or hope for a rapid turnaround.

Last edited:
Without Bev we would be probably be waiting several more decades for a flag and speaking I hope, on behalf of the older contributors who have suffered so many poor, unsuccessful seasons, I will be eternally grateful that he was able to perform a miracle with a rag tag motley crew by winning a very unexpected premiership. Of course, we would have liked to see better results in recent seasons but I think we have consistently over-valued our list and it is becoming more obvious by the game that there are few very good players on our list. This doesn't absolve Bev from responsibility because his efforts to recapture the magic have so far failed. At season's end the picture should become much clearer regarding whether this signals the end or hope for a rapid turnaround.
I don't think we're that far off, even if we finish bottom 6.

Sure we need a few more classy players and some maturity but the season so far is mostly pretty even and unpredictable. I don't think it'll happen for us but it's the sort of year where if a coach can get some good chemistry going a club could far exceed public expectations. Not unlike us in 2016 and Tigers in 2017.

Turnarounds can happen quickly (especially from one year to the next) and performances often don't relate directly to which club has the most number of elite players. I'm just hoping Bevo has kept some of his ignition powder dry.

:thumbsu: for sure already one of the greatest bulldogs of all time

use to follow this club for shits and giggles resigned to never ever seeing a flag in my life.

Then this *er finishes 7th, beats WC at home, beats Hawthorn at home, beats GWS at home and beats the favourites on GF day. Never did I think such a think could happen and we are not deserving to be witness.

Congratulations Bevo. I’ve been critical of the path taken on multiple occasions in the past year or two, but nobody can take away those glorious four weeks in 2016.

If - and it’s a massive if - he can get us to another GF in the next few years then that’ll be a significant achievement. For the moment I’d settle for some good goal kicking and picking a second/resting ruck every week :)

Its not over yet ladies and gents. There is alot Bevo will still achieve as a coach of the western bulldogs.
If we really want to see the club return to the wilderness (ala NOrf Or stkilda) then all we have to do is sack him.
If I was to be critical of him is that he was too one dimensional along with the football department in dealing with those who didnt tow the line and as the stringer/daulhause incidents showed he paid the price. A better people manager would of retained both players (assuming we wanted to).
If you want to take a dip at anyone at the club right now i would suggest asking afew chaps who get paid over 500k to chase a ball around why they cant kick straight or handball 3m to a target. There lies your problem. Because lets face it when you have been playing since little league have played and kicked a ball over 100,000 times, live breath and eat football, sacrifice years of your life to be an afl player train in the best facilities available an still spray a 30m kick on goal..... then the problem isnt your coaches its you, your fcken mentally weak.

CONGRATS BEVO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back