News Congratulations Nic Nat 3 x AA

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Hardie made me crack up driving home a few weeks ago talking on 6PR. They brought up NicNat and whether he was the best ruck or not.
Hardie basically said, I don't give that much thought to Stats as they can be misleading so saying he is the best is a stretch. Look at opposition coaches for example, they have him worked out now. All they do is bench their no1 ruck when he is on and just play the back up against him.
That is seriously what he said with meaning.
I was meant to post it pre game that week but didn't get round to it but had to get it off my chest now.

Brad Hardie made me crack up driving home a few weeks ago talking on 6PR. They brought up NicNat and whether he was the best ruck or not.
Hardie basically said, I don't give that much thought to Stats as they can be misleading so saying he is the best is a stretch. Look at opposition coaches for example, they have him worked out now. All they do is bench their no1 ruck when he is on and just play the back up against him.
That is seriously what he said with meaning.
I was meant to post it pre game that week but didn't get round to it but had to get it off my chest now.

To be fair, his comments wouldn't really be out of place coming from a Melbourne fan on BigFooty pumping up Max Gawn's tyres.

Social media has a full on hate boner for this guy. Was easily deserving of AA and had Gawn not been part of the minor premier he wouldn't be on the bench.
Guaranteed if he didn’t take speccie marks and have dreadlocks, guarantee you people would think he was a better player. Classic Australian tall poppy mindset.

(That’s leaving out race altogether which I have no doubt is a factor, but even if he were Anglo people would still hate on him for being too flashy).

It’s funny how we live in an era where fans froth at big and athletic mids bullock their way into winning the ball but when it cones to ruckmen they prefer ones that play like outside mids. When Nic is winning the ball he is 204cm 115kg wrecking ball and that was evident last week.

Love when people throw time on ground in his face, as though it isn’t just giving everyone else a chance. Nic Nat no stat ended up with the fourth most clearances in footy (as a ruckman ffs) and second most hitouts, contested possessions numbers up there with the elite AA calibre mids, even with his reduced time on ground. If you pro rata it it would be off the charts, and even when you don’t he still shits on all the other rucks in footy.

Influence is second to none. AFL Ratings love him. Opposing coaches rate him. He’s a 200cm midfielder who also happens to be the best tap ruckman in the game. This is a bloke who causes oppo coaches to bench their All Aus ruckman in desperation.

I’m a big believer in trying to articulate your point using sound reasoning and detailed analysis, but when it comes to Nic Nat it seems quite simply to be a matter of: u jelly?

Tied game, 30 seconds left, umpire begins the approach to the centre bounce. You’re kidding yourself if you want anyone other than Nic as your ruckman.
Sooo stealing that last line

Such a champion.
Was worried about him getting back to full fitness after his knees but he has surpassed it incredibly.

What a player. Wish he was 5 years younger

He had 18 more hit outs than Nic, but 50 less hit outs to advantage than Nic. Quality over quantity.
There's also "hit out to advantage" and "NicNat hit out right into the bread basket of a midfielder at full speed advantage". No one does the latter with near his consistency.

Will be interesting to see how many Brownlow votes he gets.

He hasnt been a big poller in the past though?
No he hasn't

I don’t expect that to change

His awards are unlikely ever reflect just how good he's been for the club and for us fans, but he's going to be 2x b&f winner and 3x AA at least. Given we don't give b&fs to scrubs, it isn't too bad and it reads loads better than the single AA up to 2019

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His awards are unlikely ever reflect just how good he's been for the club and for us fans, but he's going to be 2x b&f winner and 3x AA at least. Given we don't give b&fs to scrubs, it isn't too bad and it reads loads better than the single AA up to 2019
I don't really rate the B&F as an award. Every team awards one, not matter how s**t they are. Winning it if your team doesn't even make finals doesn't really make it a prestigous award.

The voting in ours also heavily favours players who stay on the park and play every game.

I don't really rate the B&F as an award. Every team awards one, not matter how sh*t they are. Winning it if your team doesn't even make finals doesn't really make it a prestigous award.

The voting in ours also heavily favours players who stay on the park and play every game.

B&Fs reward consistency. Corey Enright won 2 of them for Geelong in premiership years but no one would seriously call him their best player of that era. In those 2 seasons he polled a grand total of 3 Brownlow votes. Sure it's an award mostly dominated by midfielders but Redden was runner up in ours in 2018 and had a solid season but it's not like he was in AA contention or anything. Wasn't a top 50 player in the comp but was 2nd in the B&F for the premier.

I don't really rate the B&F as an award. Every team awards one, not matter how sh*t they are. Winning it if your team doesn't even make finals doesn't really make it a prestigous award.

If we're talking terrible awards then I nominate the MVP.
It's like the players have no comprehension what the word "valuable" means and just substitute "best".

If we're talking terrible awards then I nominate the MVP.
It's like the players have no comprehension what the word "valuable" means and just substitute "best".
The voting system is also shocking. The players from each team nominate 4 or 5 guys who they think are the best and only they can receive votes for the award. It rules out anyone who has an unexpected breakout year.

I've always thought the Coach's MVP was the most valid award for the best player in the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back