Tasmania Tasmania Devils, welcome to the AFL. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5 (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

You seem like a very tolerant and intelligent individual. They should put you in charge of the whole country.
I was being a little over the top lol but honestly people shouldn't have such strong opinions if they haven't even bothered to read up on the issues. Anyone who has done even a bit of reading knows that putting $400m into Blundstone wouldn't be viable and would be a massive waste of money even if the AFL would grant us the license without a new stadium (they won't).

So many people are against the stadium for bad reasons, it is exhausting.

Anyone who has done even a bit of reading knows that putting $400m into Blundstone wouldn't be viable
Perhaps not Bellerive, but KGV could have worked.

and would be a massive waste of money even if the AFL would grant us the license without a new stadium (they won't).
Certainly not now after Gutwein offered them one. He threw away any leverage the state had.

So many people are against the stadium for bad reasons, it is exhausting.
I question whether those reasons are actually bad, or if people aren't recognising the opportunity cost of funds when state governments have a much more limited capacity to borrow than the federal government, and no ability to print money.

I can see merit in having reduced memberships for those wanting to only attend North or South, but there will be a large number, including me, that will want to attend every game.

A problem will arise come finals.

If there are 15,000 members in the north and 15,000 in the south that only attend the local games, and 5,000 that travel across the state for all games, that works well for the H&A season.

But no doubt they will all want to get to the finals where ever they are played and a lot of them are going to be missing out.

Something no other team really has to face (excluding the GF), where seated members can’t make a home final.

Gutwein is the reason Tasmania is in this mess. He offered Gil a new inner-city stadium instead of sticking to his guns and pushing for a team with an upgrade of Bellerive or some other ground. I think there are people who could have stomached $350-400m for an upgrade but are against paying at least twice that for a new stadium. But it's too late now, the toothpaste isn't going back into the tube. Gutwein gave the AFL the opportunity to say "new inner city stadium or no team" and come off looking like the good guys.
Absolute rubbish have you been to Blundstone arena there is not sufficient space to upgrade it to the level required to host a full time afl club without forcibly taking nearby houses. And the council restrictions on the stadium due to its suburban location make it completely unworkable

If there are 15,000 members in the north and 15,000 in the south that only attend the local games, and 5,000 that travel across the state for all games, that works well for the H&A season.

But no doubt they will all want to get to the finals where ever they are played and a lot of them are going to be missing out.

Something no other team really has to face (excluding the GF), where seated members can’t make a home final.

So if those numbers eventuate then it is likely memberships will have categories accommodate that Category 1/2 = priority access to finals, Category 3/4 = access to finals only if higher categories don't exhaust the priority allocations.

Which is only an issue if the team does well enough to host finals and Tassie based fans would no doubt travel in numbers to Melbourne for away finals as well.

Absolute rubbish have you been to Blundstone arena there is not sufficient space to upgrade it to the level required to host a full time afl club without forcibly taking nearby houses. And the council restrictions on the stadium due to its suburban location make it completely unworkable
Clearly any Blundstone redevelopment would require compulsory acquisition of nearby houses which would upset some of the locals and as you say the difficulties with the "suburban" location is the whole reason the Government is backing the Mac point stadium.

Clearly any Blundstone redevelopment would require compulsory acquisition of nearby houses which would upset some of the locals and as you say the difficulties with the "suburban" location is the whole reason the Government is backing the Mac point stadium.
Nothing says addressing a housing shortage than compulsory acquisition of probably somewhere between 20-50 houses.

Sorry, can you elaborate what you think you are "putting in perspective"?

Your comment seems completely unrelated to the thread you are responding to

How does regime laundering petro dollars paid to Ronaldo in his twilight have any relevance to Tasmania's reputational damage if the no campaign successfully destroys their AFL license?
The chicken feed $ being quoted as being a serious investment by the government and the AFL.If the AFL allowed private investment it and the government would not need to invest as much. LIV has turned golf on its head in a very short space of time.

Nothing says addressing a housing shortage than compulsory acquisition of probably somewhere between 20-50 houses.
Very good point, that adds to the possibility that whatever the alternative path would be it would surely end up with as many downsides and objections as opponents claim the Mac Point stadium proposal has.

Not true. MCG has 50k seats for finals (other half is MCC/AFL). If Richmond play Collingwood, heaps miss out. And if they play a big Vic club in a prelim, there would only be 11k for each club.

But yes, I agree that 30k with no roof would be both cheaper and better.

So boring now thanks to Labor and Michael Tucker and Lara Alexander. We should be excited that we have a license, speculating about McKercher and Sanders being future Tasmanian players, instead we are going to have looooong slow news days where we wont even know if we even have a team until the year 2025. 🥱🥱🥱🥱

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So boring now thanks to Labor and Michael Tucker and Lara Alexander. We should be excited that we have a license, speculating about McKercher and Sanders being future Tasmanian players, instead we are going to have looooong slow news days where we wont even know if we even have a team until the year 2025. 🥱🥱🥱🥱
It's frustrating the hell out of me.
I want to celebrate having a Tassie team finally but have to check myself because I don't even know for sure if we will.
I'm quietly optimistic but I'd still prefer to be dancing in the street celebrating knowing for sure it's happening than chewing my fingernails not knowing for sure.

It's frustrating the hell out of me.
I want to celebrate having a Tassie team finally but have to check myself because I don't even know for sure if we will.
I'm quietly optimistic but I'd still prefer to be dancing in the street celebrating knowing for sure it's happening than chewing my fingernails not knowing for sure.
Super frustrating as well seeing the 'yes' and 'no' stadium facebook groups effectively duelling in who is the biggest moron in some of their posts. Only this morning, a 'no' person painted 'no stadium and need housing' on public property in the Hobart CBD.

Its like watching de-evolution in front of our very eyes.

Not true. MCG has 50k seats for finals (other half is MCC/AFL). If Richmond play Collingwood, heaps miss out. And if they play a big Vic club in a prelim, there would only be 11k for each club.

But yes, I agree that 30k with no roof would be both cheaper and better.

Fair point, I didn’t think of a scenario of a cross-town final. I was only thinking of a local team vs an interstate side.

I know it’s no one’s fault in this thread but the last pages have been so frustrating to read and the initial excitement has evaporated.

The pollies and the nonces in Tassie make this so tedious to read through.

I’d you interpret nonce in the British way, this takes a very dark turn

This is utter horse droppings - this image was commissioned by a prominent anti stadium campaigner which is passed as news.
Agree- I thought that once the AFL and the Tasmanian government signed the deal, it was hello team 19! It seems the opponents will not let up though

This is utter horse droppings - this image was commissioned by a prominent anti stadium campaigner which is passed as news.
Look how they have made it look as unappealing and ugly as they possibly could. Not a very good effort for a qualified architect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back