Universal Love Congratulations Paddy Dow - Rising Star (R14)

Remove this Banner Ad

He probably needs a spell, with some specific things to work on: kicking, chasing.

A few preseasons will do him wonders, though, as the additional power and fitness he will naturally gain will go a looooong way to improving his game. He'll stick/break more tackles, get to more contests, and have the strength/balance to deliver the ball better.

Also, for perspective.... look at Rayner, Brayshaw, LDU, Cerra. None of them are exactly tearing it up. Stephenson is going great (in a very different role, mind you), and there's plenty of others look good from the draft Higgins, Bailey, Richards, Naughton, etc. No need to panic or get down on Dow.

LOB, however... feel free to panic.

Needs to go back to the VFL and play as a tagger. He is completely unaccountable and is nowhere near talented enough to be able to get away with that

I assume his interrupted preseason is having some impact on his willingness to defend. But I do agree he needs to be taught to do it. So maybe he should be given the occasional lock-down, accountable role. 2 of St Kilda's goals yesterday came from Dow missed tackles.

I'm harsh on Dow probably as the expectations on top 5 picks are so high. I thought he was poor yesterday and I was frustrated. Although his last quarter was pretty good. After sleeping on it, I realise that ultimately he's trying to play a role he's not ready to play.

The other players his age (Rayner, Brayshaw, LDU, Cerra, Clark) are either playing peripheral roles or are playing reserves (Stephenson the exception).
With such little mature midfield talent, we're asking Paddy to be one of our leading midfielders. He's being thrown to the wolves where all his faults are being badly exposed. His performances are also probably being unfairly compared to Walsh's.

Hopefully this thread can remain composed & posters can keep in mind that his friends & family probably read it.

Imo,is being poorly managed atm. Poor/lack of preseason and expected to be the second biggest body in the centre. Only AFL ranking points but data suggests Dow's performances have trended down for most of the season - Perhaps managing his midfield minutes and having more mature bodies rotate through would minimise the impact of a poor pre-season and lead to greater consistency
Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 4.06.28 pm.png

Having just commenced private coaching with Williams, I think this will introduce more errors and second guessing into his game, at least initially.

Won't see the benefits of this until next year, and it'll hurt his game in the short term.

If Dow had kicked 7.3 instead of 3.7 people wouldn't be panicking (and we would have won a couple more games).

His season averages are up on last year pretty much across the board and his willingness to take the game on and burst from a stoppage shows he hasn't lost confidence. We just need to give him time at the level and get him working on his goal kicking (if he starts nailing them it will improve his general kicking IMO)

He's frustrating but he's still an outstanding prospect with one hell of a future ahead of him.

There's no doubt he's doing a lot right but he does have plenty to work on also, hardly a surprise given he's just 19 and mid-way through his second year of senior football.

Personally I think he's been thrown into the deep end and is being asked to play a role no 19 year old should so it's no surprise to see him strugglign at times.

I'm not as down on him for his field kicking as many others are, but there's no doubt his kicking for goal needs a lot of work. He's getting into some really good positions (set shots and on the run) but it's killing us that he's not been able to convert.

Also needs to work on his chasing and tackling but that's not something to send him down to the reserves to work on. That's something that will come as he gets older with more preseasons under his belt.

He's copping a lot of criticism (some of it fair, some unfair) but I always try keep some perspective. It is interesting there's only one player in the league, who is younger than him, but averaging more contested possessions per game.

I can't wait to see him in a couple of years. His contested work is elite for a kid his age.

How the hell does he get picked @ 3

I hate this melodramatic crap.

Dow went at 3 because he earned the right to be selected there after an outstanding junior career.

He has some things to work on - as every 19 year old does - but he remains an amazing prospect who we're going to enjoy watching running around in navy blue for a long time to come.

I didn't really notice it last year, maybe because I'm looking for it now. almost every time we have a forward 50 turnover and the opposition runs it out take a look at the very edge of your screen and you'll see number 2 looking like he's approaching the finish line of a marathon.

Cripps isn't the greatest chaser either to be fair... but he does other things.
surely you mean every time........

Lang.

He'll be a player. He's got tools. He just needs to work on a few parts of his game in the VFL.

Kicking needs to improve, work off the ball including tackling and his agility needs to improve.
What did Lang do on the weekend to earn his spot? So far the only good VFL game has been against the worst team in the league for the last 2 years with0 AFL players.

What did Lang do on the weekend to earn his spot? So far the only good VFL game has been against the worst team in the league for the last 2 years with0 AFL players.
Kicked a beautiful goal, clean disposal in the thick of it. Provides a more mature body than Dow.

I watched the whole game btw and I'd rate him as close to our best.

What did Dow do to keep his spot? 14 touches, turned it over 5 times, shocking kick for goal, missed tackles and looked dead on his feet late in the game.

Kicked a beautiful goal, clean disposal in the thick of it. Provides a more mature body than Dow.

I watched the whole game btw and I'd rate him as close to our best.

What did Dow do to keep his spot? 14 touches, turned it over 5 times, shocking kick for goal, missed tackles and looked dead on his feet late in the game.
I only watched the second half but I thought Lang was pretty much invisible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's frustrating but he's still an outstanding prospect with one hell of a future ahead of him.

There's no doubt he's doing a lot right but he does have plenty to work on also, hardly a surprise given he's just 19 and mid-way through his second year of senior football.

Personally I think he's been thrown into the deep end and is being asked to play a role no 19 year old should so it's no surprise to see him strugglign at times.

I'm not as down on him for his field kicking as many others are, but there's no doubt his kicking for goal needs a lot of work. He's getting into some really good positions (set shots and on the run) but it's killing us that he's not been able to convert.

Also needs to work on his chasing and tackling but that's not something to send him down to the reserves to work on. That's something that will come as he gets older with more preseasons under his belt.

He's copping a lot of criticism (some of it fair, some unfair) but I always try keep some perspective. It is interesting there's only one player in the league, who is younger than him, but averaging more contested possessions per game.

I can't wait to see him in a couple of years. His contested work is elite for a kid his age.

Dow went at 3 because he earned the right to be selected there after an outstanding junior career.

He has some things to work on - as every 19 year old does - but he remains an amazing prospect who we're going to enjoy watching running around in navy blue for a long time to come.

Yep kicking skills are not that important , as long as hits a couple of handball targets that’s a green shoot !!

Even though I’ve been critical about the Club taking two Geelong Grammar boys ( because of the assumed cultural problem of “softness” and a lack of “Mongrel”) and even tho I saw that woeful kick for goal that ended up being out on the full, I do feel the need to defend Dow. Ok. Shut up.
But he’s a kid who, because of our parlous position, has been thrown into the Depp end from day one. Just like our other top picks.
Maybe we and the AFL are getting to the point of realisation that there needs to be an intervention by the AFL to prevent our club and our talented young players being crushed by the weight of the club’s present predicament.
Perhaps the powerbrokers, like Matheison et al, can think of a “left field” way of breaking the deadlock.

Even though I’ve been critical about the Club taking two Geelong Grammar boys ( because of the assumed cultural problem of “softness” and a lack of “Mongrel”) and even tho I saw that woeful kick for goal that ended up being out on the full, I do feel the need to defend Dow. Ok. Shut up.
But he’s a kid who, because of our parlous position, has been thrown into the Depp end from day one. Just like our other top picks.
Maybe we and the AFL are getting to the point of realisation that there needs to be an intervention by the AFL to prevent our club and our talented young players being crushed by the weight of the club’s present predicament.
Perhaps the powerbrokers, like Matheison et al, can think of a “left field” way of breaking the deadlock.

What?

I

mean that we need to be given real priority. Whether it’s in picks or salary cap. We need help!
They gave it to Brisbane. Why not us.

Life's tough. Suck it up and try and improve, just like the other league battlers of which we became a member whilst dreaming of greater things.

Lang had a decent first half then did sfa imo. Disappointing and disappointed that sos cant seem to pick a mature age winner. Or maybe its bolts that cant seem to get the best out of players.

I'm harsh on Dow probably as the expectations on top 5 picks are so high. I thought he was poor yesterday and I was frustrated. Although his last quarter was pretty good. After sleeping on it, I realise that ultimately he's trying to play a role he's not ready to play.

The other players his age (Rayner, Brayshaw, LDU, Cerra, Clark) are either playing peripheral roles or are playing reserves (Stephenson the exception).
With such little mature midfield talent, we're asking Paddy to be one of our leading midfielders. He's being thrown to the wolves where all his faults are being badly exposed. His performances are also probably being unfairly compared to Walsh's.

Hopefully this thread can remain composed & posters can keep in mind that his friends & family probably read it.
Good post.

Rayner has been given the luxury of playing as a permanent forward by the Lions, keeping him away from the heavy workload required in the midfield.

LDU has spent time in the VFL & is not required to be part of the first start midfield at North when playing at AFL level.

From memory, at the start of everyone of our games this season, Dow has gone straight into the midfield & I would suggest spends more time there then any of his peers from the 2017 draft. The boy has already played 30 AFL games & we are not quite at the halfway mark of his 2nd season. This will hold him in good stead further down the road, in the meantime he is performing a workload which is probably beyond his current physical capability.

Not at all concerned about the future of Dow. Sure he’s going through a learning phase. More than happy where he’s at in his second year. Being asked to be the next mature body in the middle after Cripps as a what, 19 year old? That’s some beating he takes every week. Will be on the 200+ game list by the time he finishes and thought of as one of our a graders.

More concern for one or two of our other highly rated juniors before Dow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back