Toast Congratulations Ricky Henderson 'The A-plus DFA'

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Played a blinder in his 100th game against the side that delisted him.

At the time of his signing I was shrugging my shoulders as much as the next Hawks fan, but as usual, Wright and Clarko knew something we didn't. He's been a great recruit, and maybe he has enough time left in his career to be part of something special!

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I must admit I wasn't too enthused about his signing. Was in the wrong age bracket (especially after trading Mitch and Jordan) and had a reputation over at Adelaide for being soft.

But he's performed admirably in every game he's played. Wins a decent amount of the ball, is generally a decent user and has shown a recent ability to hit the scoreboard. Lowers the eyes when selecting a target. He's never going to be the player who wins you the game, but the role he plays in the side is valuable.

It's a pity we couldn't get him 2 years ago when we had excellent delivery because I think Hendo would have thrived under such an environment. He seems to play really well when the team is playing well, which has unfortunately become an infrequent occurrence in 2017. When the team is down he also seems down. But as a DFA signing, you couldn't really ask for more than what he's given and I'm glad his 100th game was memorable.

Played a blinder in his 100th game against the side that delisted him.

At the time of his signing I was shrugging my shoulders as much as the next Hawks fan, but as usual, Wright and Clarko knew something we didn't. He's been a great recruit, and maybe he has enough time left in his career to be part of something special!

He's a Clarko type runner, runs all day, still running hard late in games and kicks goals.

Without any slight on him, a lesser version of Brad Hill, without the style and speed!

He's had a very good season. Last night was easily the best game of his career.

2017 Stats
Disposals: 23.4 (ranked 4th)
Kicks: 12.7 (ranked 5th)
Marks: 6.8 (ranked 1st)
Rebound 50s: 2.8 (ranked 3rd)

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The inclusion of Birchall enabled him to play wing/hff which is a better role for him than hbf. I think we will see good footy from him going forward. The biggest thing he provided last night was the gut running to get ahead of the play and be an option. Missed that since hill left.

Last edited:
Has gotten more confident with each match and now looks as though he belongs. Could be a handy addition for a couple of years while we transition a bit.

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
His kicking could be a real weapon if we get it to him more often in the right spots. Just effortlessly hoofs it 65 meters. Reminds me of a bigger Clinton young but probably a bit better at lowering the eyes.

Has a soft reputation but im not seeing any issues so far. Is very much an outside player like Hill or Hartung which is fine, but for a guy his size he should be able to play more inside/outside and not be purely outside.

He's had a very good season. Last night was easily the best game of his career.

2017 Stats
Disposals: 23.4 (ranked 4th)
Kicks: 12.7 (ranked 5th)
Marks: 6.8 (ranked 1st)
Rebound 50s: 2.8 (ranked 3rd)
Stats in comparison to whom?

Team mates? League? His previous seasons etc.?

Gaston

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2014
in the outer with anticipation
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That bit of play in the forward 50 where he changed his mind mid-kick deciding to pass to Billy instead of take the shot himself was absolutely incredible.

Glad someone else noticed this, added to that was the pressure he was under.
You got the feeling he really enjoyed the vvictory the other night. Little bit of his own sweet revenge.

Just want savagelunchbox to acknowledge he has been a solid pick up.
He's been solid in the wins, yes, but you should be expecting that from a 29yo with 100 AFL games experience. Hardly worth being touted an A+ DFA, that's going a bit too far.

However at 29, he's only really a stopgap for the future.

Back