Toast Congratulations Sam Collins on your debut in round 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to be a fan on one of the least available players on a list.

The plan last year was to rest McPharlin but Silvagni had a brain snap in the derby and got suspended. Rumour was that Ross blew up at Silvagni for being selfish when McPharlin got injured.

The plan last year was to rest McPharlin but Silvagni had a brain snap in the derby and got suspended. Rumour was that Ross blew up at Silvagni for being selfish when McPharlin got injured.

I was always under the impression that, up until that point, Ross was a big fan of SCOS. Injuries at the wrong time have always been his problem, but going back before late last year, Ross always praised his style of play and aptitude.

Sam Collins will always gives you 110% percent each game during his time down at Box Hill. He reads the play well in defense and can win plenty of the ball and can also be used as a link-up player coming out of the defensive 50. For someone who stands around 194cm tall he does have good agility and shows excellent second and third efforts at ground level. He can also play up forward too giving Fremantle some depth at both ends. He's got a good future with the Dockers.

Good luck to Sam in his debut game. :thumbsu:

Sam Collins will always gives you 110% percent each game during his time down at Box Hill. He reads the play well in defense and can win plenty of the ball and can also be used as a link-up player coming out of the defensive 50. For someone who stands around 194cm tall he does have good agility and shows excellent second and third efforts at ground level. He can also play up forward too giving Fremantle some depth at both ends. He's got a good future with the Dockers.

Good luck to Sam in his debut game. :thumbsu:

Thanks for the post. I posted above that, from the little I've seen of him, he moves well for a bloke who's a sold unit. Hopefully he picks up the pace of AFL level.

Quick question, would Sam have played at Docklands in his time in the VFL? I imagine not, but if he has it will be a little bit of a help for him on debut. The ground has some unique features.

Thanks for the post. I posted above that, from the little I've seen of him, he moves well for a bloke who's a sold unit. Hopefully he picks up the pace of AFL level.

Quick question, would Sam have played at Docklands in his time in the VFL? I imagine not, but if he has it will be a little bit of a help for him on debut. The ground has some unique features.

He has played there twice, 2014 and 2015 VFL Grand Finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woo! Congrats Collins! I've been hanging out for this since we drafted him. Watching him v Collingwood VFL last year, this guy pulled off the best spoil you'd ever see.

Can you shed some light on why Sam wasn't drafted in previous or earlier in the draft he was taken?

Late bloomer?
Yep late bloomer.

I was always under the impression that, up until that point, Ross was a big fan of SCOS. Injuries at the wrong time have always been his problem, but going back before late last year, Ross always praised his style of play and aptitude.
I never got that impression at all. Silvagni has been perennially unfavored at Fremantle. Pretty staggering he'll retire on less than about 70 games or whatever it is, because he's a very good full back and someone who would really benefit from some patronisation and confidence from coaching staff. Ross has a little personal favourites and it's clear as day it's plodders like Zac Dawson, Clancee Pearce, and other pointless "role players."

I never got that impression at all. Silvagni has been perennially unfavored at Fremantle. Pretty staggering he'll retire on less than about 70 games or whatever it is, because he's a very good full back and someone who would really benefit from some patronisation and confidence from coaching staff. Ross has a little personal favourites and it's clear as day it's plodders like Zac Dawson, Clancee Pearce, and other pointless "role players."

I'm basing my thoughts on interviews and the like in the earlier days of Ross' appointment. He would often talk up Silvagni.

FWIW, I rate him too and reckon he deserved more games. But either way, the biggest reason he's not got more games to this point is because 1. he happened to be in his best shape when we had a fit and firing McPharlin, MJohnson and then Dawson came along. 2. When he had a chance to make a place for himself, he'd get injured. He just had one soft tissue thing after another any time there was a slot opening up for him. It's unfair to put lack of games all on Ross.

Can you shed some light on why Sam wasn't drafted in previous or earlier in the draft he was taken?

Late bloomer?

He didn't play much VFL in his first year in 2013 due to some injuries and he was also bit raw and slightly undersized. He played mainly VFL reserves that season. Over the past few years though he's grown in terms of size and build. He's still growing even though he's only 21.

It wasn't until about mid 2014 that he was elevated from the VFL reserves to the VFL. competition. As soon as he started to string some games together that year and play consistent footy that I believed that he would be one of the VFL listed players who finds his way onto an AFL list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back