Toast Congratulations Sam Walsh - Winner Rising Star 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
So what’s he gonna be after a 2nd preseason under Russell. Im actually scared for the rest of the comp trying to stay with him
I’d say he puts on 2kg of muscle. Probably gets about 5 percent stronger. Reads the pace of the game better. Improves his DE by maybe 5. Kicks more goals. Gets 2-3 more possessions. Basically more contested/clearances.

28 possessions. 14 contested. 6 clearances. 12 goals.

AA nomination (squad of 40). 2nd in B+F.

That’s my guess. Anyone gonna doubt me again this time?

JoeyPBLUES

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I’d say he puts on 2kg of muscle. Probably gets about 5 percent stronger. Reads the pace of the game better. Improves his DE by maybe 5. Kicks more goals. Gets 2-3 more possessions. Basically more contested/clearances.

I am. I reckon at those numbers he wins the B&F 😜

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings

Yeah, I think you are being deliberately modest with those estimates.

this is bf - there is no 'doubt'.........all is believed, all is the truth, all are bringers of the factual future.................

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings

Who are you again? I’m not familiar with your work. ;)

I'm sorry W, those number are insane.

The only thing I can think of that is more ridiculous would be predicting Sam to average 25 touches in his first season based off watching him in some pre-season training sessions.....

;)

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

The only thing I can think of that is more ridiculous would be predicting Sam to average 25 touches in his first season based off watching him in some pre-season training sessions.....

;)

Too Vanilla, according to Richmond 'the ******* central of the sporting Universe' Tuggers supporters, who make Donald Trump Supporters look clued up in comparison LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
This whole "our player has a higher ceiling" rubbish is actually a backhanded compliment.

Walsh has arrived as such a complete footballer they see that being as far as he can go. Every footballer (except maybe rhys Palmer who could never kick) has natural improvement in them each year for their first five years as they get stronger and more comfortable in their environment.

Someone as driven as Sam Walsh has probably more improvement in him then most.

This whole "our player has a higher ceiling" rubbish is actually a backhanded compliment.
Walsh has arrived as such a complete footballer they see that being as far as he can go. Every footballer (except maybe rhys Palmer who could never kick) has natural improvement in them each year for their first five years as they get stronger and more comfortable in their environment.
Someone as driven as Sam Walsh has probably more improvement in him then most.

Is Walsh fully physically developed?
Is Walsh happy enough with himself to back off and party it up a little now?

Said it before he was drafted to us; This guy has a Cripps-like mentality and an urgency to get better.
Cripps isn't Cripps because of what nature gave him physically.........it's because of his mental nature.

Watched Cripps doing repeat sprints from a laying down position a few years back and after half an hour or so, I was tired for just watching him.
It's no surprise that Cripps is quicker now than he used to be, even for carrying all that extra muscle.

Walsh will do all he can to run further, kick better and think quicker even through this coming pre-season let alone all the others to follow.
I have little doubt about that.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Its now obvious to everyone why Sam Walsh just had to be selected 1st pick, a consumate professional, mature, well grounded , skilled and very good athlete with a real passion for our game.
A very rare and unique youngster indeed , especially given the other prodigious talents that were available in his draft year, they’ll shine from next year onwards.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keyza

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Did anyone watch the 1 hour presentation of the RS award on Fox Footy?

Sammy's old man really seems like a terrific guy and parent, clearly proud as punch of his boy (understandably so) but also very grounded and humble, not one of those sport stars dads with delusions of grandeur (like David Cloke or Levar Ball)

The entire family used to be mad Lions fans, but now have become totally Bound by Blue !

As expected, young Sam used to take a footy everywhere with him as a kid, and now has a fascination for collecting Nike shoes/runners (as you do)

What a charming family the Walsh's are. Really hope we can also draft his younger brother.
I did see the fox footy presentation. There was in interview with Cripps that wasn't shown though.
I am pretty sure Sam's dad is a Carlton supporter, it was his uncles who were the Lions supporters.
Sam comes across as a humble, respectful young man.
If he never gets any better and this year is as good as he will ever be then we have a beauty on our hands.
The disrespect for Walsh on the main board is really disappointing.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
The clown just keep's digging himself deeper. States Rozee was a half back who never played forward, learned a new role. Played half back in his senior games this year, but his entire underage career has been as a FORWARD/Mid.

Fed up with know (****) all former players in the media who don't even know the basics of the current industry. It is an absolute insult to our intelligence that these types are given lucrative media roles. Happy to "say that again"...

Said it before he was drafted to us; This guy has a Cripps-like mentality and an urgency to get better.
Cripps isn't Cripps because of what nature gave him physically.........it's because of his mental nature.

Watched Cripps doing repeat sprints from a laying down position a few years back and after half an hour or so, I was tired for just watching him.
It's no surprise that Cripps is quicker now than he used to be, even for carrying all that extra muscle.
Yeah this.

There's been some incredibly physically blessed players out there, but plenty of them have fallen by the wayside and not achieved anywhere near as much as less fancied players simply because they don't have the same mental drive and competitive edge.

The fact Walshy has the aforementioned tools means he's in very, very good stead.

Jun 19, 2018
frankston station
AFL Club
Carlton

nope, but i reckon he’s a chance of winning it next time...

Quazza

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 11, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Nice to lead the pack on this one

69800098_904711809914735_3859470995303694336_n.jpg

Blubagger71

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Congrats, Sam. Super season with significantly more growth to come. Strength and goal kicking impact next please young fella. As long as you keep running, doing the things that got you there in the first place.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Now let’s draft Sam brother, 2 meter Henry Wash, a ripperp tall has potential and if his work ethic is anything like his brother we don’t need 3 to 4years form him to impact.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

;)
What kind of a w***er would do that? You’d have to be pretty up yourself to think you could predict that sort of thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back