Toast Congratulations Sam Walsh - Winner Rising Star 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would this be Cornes quote re Rozee on Twitter?

“Yes- a quick reminder that Lewis Taylor won the Rising Star ahead of Marcus Bontempelli in 2014. Congratulations to Sam though, a very impressive young man.”

So what’s he gonna be after a 2nd preseason under Russell. Im actually scared for the rest of the comp trying to stay with him
No upside. Already runs further than any mid in the comp. Luke Parker couldn't go with him this year and gave up and was looking to hand over to some ne else. Lets just forget middle distance runners don't hit their peaks until their mid 20s. Will put on 5kg and increase his power to burst through contests. Kicking will improve when he picks up the pace of the game further.

Bailey Smith has much greater upside despite being pretty much at his final playing weight

What an absolute ******* muppet.
He should be instantly fired from the selection panel.
And any other panels, selection or otherwise.
And any football related occupation.
remove the ******* moron..........

Despite being a worthy winner of the Rising Star, over the off season Walshy obviously still needs to work on his running (atm, he may not quite medal at the Olympics), along with his media performances (atm, there may be one or two career politicians who are slightly more polished in this realm). But seriously, what a player and what a person - there’s literally no young player who I’d rather have wearing the old dark navy blue.

While I was soaking up the celebratory videos on the club website, I couldn’t help but notice Walshy’s comments after Round 21, when having mentioned how week to week he was surreally coming up against players who he’d admired since childhood, he immediately went on to say how he went into games wanting to beat the likes of Fyfe, Dusty, and Neale - just meeting expectations is simply not in his DNA. For me, this comment just emphasised how, behind Walshy’s humble and mild mannered persona, sits an incredibly driven individual who sets the highest of standards for himself - the psychology of a champion imo.

It’s early days in what looks like being a stellar career, but I so hope that Walshy ends up being a one club player, and that in many years time he retires with a clutch of premiership medallions, with individual honours to go along with them.

A great first year Walshy, and may it be the first of many at Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back