Congratulations to Eleni Glouftsis , first woman to umpire an AFL senior match

Remove this Banner Ad

She cost us the 4pts in the Suns game up there in Rd 4 when she incorrectly miss called a Liam Jones mark in the last minute as play on when it was clearly a mark. Suns then kick a goal from the loose ball and steal it in the last seconds of the game.

I am still ropeable about it and she was dropped not long ago but seems to have gotten another gig for some reason and gender aside she is truly woeful as an AFL level Umpire and she is not alone either.

The standard of umpiring across most games every week is extremely poor and so frustrating when watching games.

Eleni just makes decisions that make you realise she doesn't understand parts of the game well enough to officiate, Fisher has too much bias against certain players/clubs because of past interactions.

I can recall a game Fisher paid 12 free kicks to zip, they both have to go and just focus on getting good umpires by paying them more and making it a full.time.job.

Fisher hates the Lions and always screws us

She's about the same. Just easy to single her out because, well, because it's a her. Umpires this season as a whole have suffered from the confusing rule application instructions from up high.

As someone pointed out, at least she doesn't seem to make the simple errors like pointing the wrong way when signalling a free kick has been awarded.

What you need to ask is if a male umpire made the exact same decisions/ non decisions would he be singled out. Probably not

I think she just lacks experience and she will get there.
I watched the game yesterday and thought she lost control of her area a few times. Whistle happy through certain times and then inexplicably puts it away when there is some heavy contact... some head high. I think she was overruled on a few calls from the other umps at times yesterday.

But unlike Nicholls I think she has a clue and doesn't have an ego. So with experience she will get better and be one of the better umps in the game. At the moment however the games I watch where she is involved she quite often loses control of the area she is officiating.

I am certain Nicholls just picks a team before the game he wants to win and works backwards from there. Its never just one team but he seems to just get caught up seeing only infringements from one colour of jumper. And he doubles down on s**t decisions he's made which compounds the problem further.
Brilliant post. TBH I think shes been very s**t at times this year but the lack of ego is true and only means good things...she will learn and improve.

We need to make allowances if we ever want more women to become involved. It doubles the pool we can get quality people in from so it is worth the short term pain.

She cost us the 4pts in the Suns game up there in Rd 4 when she incorrectly miss called a Liam Jones mark in the last minute as play on when it was clearly a mark. Suns then kick a goal from the loose ball and steal it in the last seconds of the game.

I am still ropeable about it and she was dropped not long ago but seems to have gotten another gig for some reason and gender aside she is truly woeful as an AFL level Umpire and she is not alone either.

The standard of umpiring across most games every week is extremely poor and so frustrating when watching games.
That's a blatant lie.

Gold Coast kicked a point from that spillage. Carlton had possession back and turned it over themselves for Gold Coast to win the game.

Probably a good idea to get your facts straight, as a moderator.

Brilliant post. TBH I think shes been very s**t at times this year but the lack of ego is true and only means good things...she will learn and improve.

We need to make allowances if we ever want more women to become involved. It doubles the pool we can get quality people in from so it is worth the short term pain.
Why should the bar be lowered because of her gender?

Surely we want the best people for the job, regardless of gender?

That's a blatant lie.

Gold Coast kicked a point from that spillage. Carlton had possession back and turned it over themselves for Gold Coast to win the game.

Probably a good idea to get your facts straight, as a moderator.
If that mark was paid on the 50m line we hold the ball with a minute to go. Jones takes his 30 seconds and then we kick the ball forward into our forward line.

Not sure what it is so hard to understand about it nor what attacking Mod status also adds.

If that mark was paid on the 50m line we hold the ball with a minute to go. Jones takes his 30 seconds and then we kick the ball forward into our forward line.

Not sure what it is so hard to understand about it nor what attacking Mod status also adds.
Hold the ball for sixty seconds? How do you come to that conclusion? If Paddy Dow doesn't turn the ball over on the wing, Carlton win that game. Nothing to do with umpiring at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She can't possibly be bad because she's easily noticeable and because sometimes other umpires make mistakes.

Eleni just makes decisions that make you realise she doesn't understand parts of the game well enough to officiate, Fisher has too much bias against certain players/clubs because of past interactions.

on the weekend she missed probably the most obvious 50 this year, where Freo got a free kick in the backline, the Saints players had 3-4 seconds, still kicked at goal. At that point it was obvious she didn't know the rule around kicking the ball after a free kick was paid against you.

That's Eleni Glouftsis OAM to you peasants

Razor Ray would not be impressed getting overlooked
He’d be entitled to ask whether the awards are for service and achievement or for what’s between your legs.
Honest question - what was the rationale for her award?

Edit: Google has answered...
Screenshot_20210126-105947.jpg

Given Margaret Court is in possession of out highest honour, I'd now argue these awards are now akin to the old McDonald's awards you got when you were a kid playing footy and which got you a free cheeseburger.
Um, Margaret Court has won 7 fewer Grand Slam singles titles than Eleni has umpired AFL matches. And that is before we consider her 19 doubles and 21 mixed doubles titles...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back