Umpiring Congratulations to Hawthorn FC and Box Hill FC….

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Magnificently disciplined dual performance on the weekend to only give away 22 free kicks in two whole games of football. Given the AFL average is around 22 per game, and Hawthorn were running above that average before their most recent match, the club must have put in an absolutely power of work to achieve a 50% ish reduction in only their first week of working on it.

Now, can you please tell Richmond FC how you achieved this, playing at the exact same venues, Richmond seem to have given away 52 free kicks across their two matches. 😱

For those who haven’t had the chance to see it, try to watch the replay of Box Hill v Tigers 2 for an absolute master class in umpiring from umpire number 6, which resulted in the Hawks hard work and new found discipline being rewarded to the tune of a 29-9 free kick count. The “o” is optional. 😁

We put on a performance the Dogs would be proud of. Clearly the umpires have new favourites.

Or Richmond are just a bunch of ill-disciplined idiots who dont learn when penalised over and over. And we do learn.

BTW, Lynch elbowed Impey in the head and did this, but it wasnt a free kick. So the umpires missed one there:

b1f9e334f65e3179733eaa2fd476e670

Jeezus mate. Your team is flying. A team you hate (Cats) is stuttering. And your focus is on some sort of umpiring conspiracy? Really?

Cats are playing fine Freddy, you will have to wait for finals for them to stutter I am afraid.

Umpiring conspiracy? I thought I said umpiring masterclass, and congratulated the Hawks on their newfound high level of discipline….talk about being pigeon-holed just because I unearthed one single case of conflict of interest involving some very shady Cats characters. I have moved on to smaller and worse things since then F2S. 😎

We put on a performance the Dogs would be proud of. Clearly the umpires have new favourites.

Or Richmond are just a bunch of ill-disciplined idiots who dont learn when penalised over and over. And we do learn.

BTW, Lynch elbowed Impey in the head and did this, but it wasnt a free kick. So the umpires missed one there:

I know right. Richmond’s lack of discipline explains perfectly how they could be awarded 22 free kicks at 2.75 per 1/4 of football across 2 entire matches. 😱

Here is a task actually.

Can anyone come up with an example of where an AFL team’s first and second teams have played on the same weekend and given away or received less than 22 free kicks across the two matches?

I am going to say it is unlikely that has ever occurred before, but I stand to be corrected…..

By the way, that Lynch elbow to the face of Jarman Limpey as depicted in the photo you posted should be a multiple week suspension imo. But the AFL in recent seasons has consistently allowed the player in possession to elbow an opponent in the face, something I cannot for the life of me comprehend. I am sure none of them are deliberate, but that is not the point.

Here is a task actually.

Can anyone come up with an example of where an AFL team’s first and second teams have played on the same weekend and given away or received less than 22 free kicks across the two matches?

I am going to say it is unlikely that has ever occurred before, but I stand to be corrected…..
And for those up for an additional task, bonus points if you can come up with a week where Selwood has received less than 22 free kicks*

*Must have taken the field that week

Richmond were very ill-disciplined in their game against the Crows a few weeks ago too. Read the argument that they aren't getting the superstar treatment any longer so can't get away with it as much as they used to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond were very ill-disciplined in their game against the Crows a few weeks ago too. Read the argument that they aren't getting the superstar treatment any longer so can't get away with it as much as they used to.

I think it is their playing style. They deliberately infringe constantly knowing that only some of them will be pinged. So they better than halve contests and lose out when free kicks are paid.

Its a clever plan as long as the umpires arent pinging them.

I think it is their playing style. They deliberately infringe constantly knowing that only some of them will be pinged. So they better than halve contests and lose out when free kicks are paid.

Unfortunately the team's form hasn't be quite up to it the last couple of seasons. Great plan when you're flying, especially in finals.

22 free kicks awarded to the club in 2 whole games in one round? Our VFL team got 9 free kicks awarded to them. What discipline needs to be instilled to make a team get more than 9 free kicks in a whole footy match?

I watched the whole game admittedly through the eyes of a Tiger fan, but I would defy anyone to watch that and look at it decision by decision and….well shall we say, not marvel at Box Hill’s astonishing level of discipline and umpire number 6’s highly respectful recognition of the Hawk’s new found elite non-infringing discipline. 😱

Yes that must be it and another very clever part of the plan is somehow avoiding getting anything like a normal amount of free kicks paid in their favour. 😱

You often see Richmond players arguing with an umpire after Richmond have been paid a rare free kick, trying to get it reversed to suit their plan better. 😂😂

Yes that must be it and another very clever part of the plan is somehow avoiding getting anything like a normal amount of free kicks paid in their favour. 😱

You often see Richmond players arguing with an umpire after Richmond have been paid a rare free kick, trying to get it reversed to suit their plan better. 😂😂

Sorry about your acquired brain injury.

Richmond were on the bottom of the free differential ladder then also.

A throw away line ,the old ill disciplined ruse.

OK, surprise, surprise, all discipline at Hawthorn FC fell apart this week. 27 frees against in one match. A massive increase on their 22 in two matches last weekend. I wonder why that could be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back