News Congratulations to Hawthorn's newest captain - Ben Stratton - may your reign be long and glorious

Remove this Banner Ad

Gunston Vice Captain, according to the AFL.com.au article.

Smith, Shiels, McEvoy, O'Meara round out the (2019) leadership group. I'd assume Mitchell would be there were he playing this year, and will likely be revisited next season

Fantastic choice. Will lead by example. Stratts never shirks a contest,relishes the one percenters and will quietly inspire his team mates. And what makes it sweeter is that a draft pick in the forties has become Hawthorn's new captain. May there be many more in our future.

Part of the Joey Kennedy trade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunston Vice Captain, according to the AFL.com.au article.

Smith, Shiels, McEvoy, O'Meara round out the (2019) leadership group. I'd assume Mitchell would be there were he playing this year, and will likely be revisited next season
That's a very strong group of leaders. Scully and Hardwick are also highly rated re: leadership and Birch will provide a lot of experience and nous upon his return. Exciting times hawks fans, exciting times

Unlike some clubs who just pick the best player as captain we pick the player that embodies what the club is about. Stratts may not appear the type of personality to be a captain but his knowledge of the game is vastly underrated and is the general of the back line now that Hodge is gone. This is the ultimate step in his development as a leader. Is a ripping bloke who will be a great captain.

giphy.gif

Might need to go back and dig up the "ben Stratton will single handedly win hawthorn a premiership" thread from 2010.

There were some bold predictions but I don't think many people thought that he would be captain. Save the world sure but not captain, he's come so far. Fully expect him to rise to the occasion.

Love how so many of those highlights are from big games: Grand Finals, prelims etc. And they remembered the behind the back tackle! Much props to whoever put that vid together- you done good!
I still wanted to see the 2012 prelim when he took down Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back